Frequently Asked Questions About the union

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I never said it was good for my economy.

I believe you've said you're out in 7 years, so it's easy for you to advocate for a lower wage or a two-tier system...because you won't be affected. You also tend to have a Libertarian slant in your arguments, which makes me not even want to listen.

Someone mentioned the Supreme Court...BZ to you!! This last Presidential election was a huge deal because it is very likely that Obama is going to have at least 2, and probably 3 Supreme Court nominations. This will swing the court from the 5 to 4 Right Wing bias that has been in place for far too long. That means that labor/union/worker decisions that make it to the High Court are more likely than not going to be decided in favor of the workers.

So, Code 82 makes a lot more than the average Ground driver. So what? He is an exception to the Ground rule, where $600 is the norm. A handful of exceptional Ground drivers is not going to tip the scale. Actually, Code 82 sounds bright, writes well, and sounds like he is way too intelligent and skilled to waste his talents on Ground. His contractor obviously realizes this, and wants to keep a good employee around. Still, no benefits (except for the 401k), and no retirement. Is this the direction we want our workforce to be heading? The answer is "yes"....if you are Fred S.

But what about the contractors who want to pay $450 per week, as in the case of the Ground driver who turned in front of the motorcyclist in CA a few months ago? Someone who actually knew something about the situation was able to confirm that the driver was actually making that very low wage. This is the type of driver the rest of us are subsidizing and who is undercutting both our wages and professional image.

Ground is eventually going to be undone. We just don't know how yet.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
MFE:

Thank you. But anyone with ambition can equal my work, and do it quicker. I am 46.
Your concerns and commitment to your beliefs should inspire others to look at our big picture,

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ground is not going anywhere---you, on the other hand, will soon be a part-time employee. Capiche?

Nope, I'll still be FT unless I choose otherwise. I'm glad you're so confident about Ground and in the upper management of FedEx, who couldn't properly handle a 3-year old's birthday party. Capiche?

vantexan

Probably soon to be 30, or maybe even 28.

Dept of Labor defines fulltime as 30+. Most likely if we can't get a full 35 every week they'll move the guarantee to 30. It's in their interest to keep us classified as FTers so that they can make us work more hours when needed, such as Peak.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Dept of Labor defines fulltime as 30+. Most likely if we can't get a full 35 every week they'll move the guarantee to 30. It's in their interest to keep us classified as FTers so that they can make us work more hours when needed, such as Peak.

Maybe Fred can wangle an exemption? The RLA Express Carrier Rule of 28 Clause.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If he's one of our elder statesmen, I'll eat my steel toes.

He's little more than a company shill with an extra helping of Scott Davis on his chin today.

Agreed. And a Libertarian to boot. You know, the people who like to vote against their own self-interests and support conservative anti-union rhetoric and candidates?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
bbsam has quite the bromance going with Upstate, doesn't he? Maybe they should both find a nice cozy little rock to slither underneath together.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Agreed. And a Libertarian to boot. You know, the people who like to vote against their own self-interests and support conservative anti-union rhetoric and candidates?

I actually have a slight libertarian bent, myself - especially when it comes to labor. I have a weird mish-mash of different political ideologies, but here's how I see it having studied labor organizing in the 1930's:

Abolish the NLRB but also nullify the anti-labor elements in the Sherman Anti-Trust Act that makes secondary boycotts illegal. Abolish Taft-Harley section 14(b), which allows states to pass RTW laws and interferes in closed shop clauses negotiated with companies. There would be no such thing as an illegal strike - we could make gains and hold them on the merits of our own strength.

Upstate is a lowly boot-licking shill that would sell the organs of a brother Teamster for a 1% 401k match and a pack of hot dogs. Don't try to pigeon hole him, its not worth the time.