Full time swing driver?

JL 0513

You would cover vacations. If they have no work you would have to work a shift inside the building. No you wouldn't drive every day. It takes a few years and a few more guys under you to work everyday

Not necessarily. Again, it seems dependent on locals. I never was forced a day off in my driving career of 3 years. I've been offered a day a few times. On slower days, particularly on Mondays where routes are cut, there's always people taking the offer for the day off so that the bottom guys are never forced.

Rarely are there forced layoffs either. I've seen one 2-3 week slow period where a bottom guy had to take a layoff a couple years ago. Every new driver otherwise has worked everyday.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Do you mean you just don't call them "swing" drivers. We don't call then that either but they are cover drivers which every center has to have. All cover drivers are full time in all my local centers. We are all guaranteed to work everyday.

Otherwise, how would any bid driver ever get a day off?

We have regular temps.
They are not guaranteed to work

We have pt covers. Work when there is an opening for the day
I call them company tool bags.

Oh, wait a minute...

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
In the Southern Supplement, we have FT swing drivers which are FT drivers without a bid route. These drivers will cover for vacations, call in, and days off, there is always work available to them, as management makes sure not to staff more FT swing drivers than needed.

The next sort of driver is a PT cover driver, who is also used to cover the aforementioned. As far as work being available, generally speaking about half work every day, Wendsday most work if not all. When not enough work is available, they go back to working their normal PT shift.

Now in our building, we have enough FT bid drivers who apparently are set for life and don't want to work every day, so this gives more opportunity for PT cover drivers to work. I've seen some of these drivers almost come to blows with each other on who's going home. Not sure how your center is, but that's how it is in Roswell.

Johney

Jesus not the Full-time,Part-time,Swing,Part-time temp,Full-time temp,Cover-temp,Cover-full-time-swing-cover,etc. discussion again.
Edit;I'm sure I missed a few others

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What the heck is a swing driver?

th