G&A ERI

M

Motown Police

Name one person that was put on PIP that did not deserve to be put on PIP ?

I think that having the most help needed person on PIP helps those of us who excel !!!!

I hope that the bottom 15 % gets put on PIP. Most of us know that we can survive without

the bottom feeders. They drag the stock price down and we have to bail them out on every

release.

2029guy

I absolutely know of people who were put on PIP that did not deserve it but that is not important.

Could you please explain the the process that is in place for determining who is unlucky enough to be in the bottom 15% if that is in fact the magic number. Where did you get that information from? Whatever process they are using is completely subjective, if there is one it should be clearly documented and I am not aware of it.

B

brownISer

it's the peer review process...you have some that are EE (exceeds expectations), some that are ME (meets), and some that are LE (less than)---the LE's are the bottom 15%...HOWEVER, when you try to find out WHY you are at the bottom, you get a bunch of SPIN from your PL who will not tell you the real reasons.

it's the peer review process...you have some that are EE (exceeds expectations), some that are ME (meets), and some that are LE (less than)---the LE's are the bottom 15%...HOWEVER, when you try to find out WHY you are at the bottom, you get a bunch of SPIN from your PL who will not tell you the real reasons.

Peer review and PIP (if given) is done completely subjectively in order that the meek shall never inherit the earth. Period. Amen.

B

BROWN4LIFE15

well said. we can't have the meek running the show now, can we? the meek will only take it so long, and then they will depart. that's the plan.

2029guy

I never really understood how the peer review worked. It seems like the PL's and PM's go to a meeting and decide who is meeting expectations and who is not and that is how you wind up on PIP. So it is completely subjective and has nothing to do with you job description. There could be some political reason like they want to promote someone else who is of a different gender or race.

But then I thought they gave you a review that said if you were meeting or exceeding expectations. It is a long list and you have to sign it. The person I know who was on PIP was meeting expectations on that list but perhaps at peer review they were not?

While many of us worked this weekend due to an error, you must not be part of the G&A portfolio. We all worked our tails off and our Senior Mgrs were on site and involved and these same people were here last weekend and were here when another group caused an error and we in Morristown had to fix it.

I am proud to be part of a team and Portfolio that enables change and has developed its employees.

you will write back that I am a kiss butt, so be it. I believe you are not part of this portfolio.

As you can see this is my first post and I hope this thread gets shut down and we can have threads that contribute and not destroy

rups

People are working hard - no doubt about it. Are people working smarter? Not so sure about that.

These posts and threads can be contributions. If a problem is recognized, it can be addressed and dealt with in the best way possible.

It's like when your dentist tells you that you need your wisdom teeth pulled. You want nothing to do with it and are probably annoyed by the situation but at the end of the day you know that your dentist is right and you'll be better off in the long run.

Maybe all we need is a little dental work? Maybe DS had it right on the second post of this thread done on 09-23-2007, 11:34 PM?

"They are trying to send a message.Wake up"

While many of us worked this weekend due to an error, you must not be part of the G&A portfolio. We all worked our tails off and our Senior Mgrs were on site and involved and these same people were here last weekend and were here when another group caused an error and we in Morristown had to fix it.

I am proud to be part of a team and Portfolio that enables change and has developed its employees.

you will write back that I am a kiss butt, so be it. I believe you are not part of this portfolio.

As you can see this is my first post and I hope this thread gets shut down and we can have threads that contribute and not destroy

Oversize,

Having been a Viet Nam reporter for many years, I can tell you for sure that we are not educated well enough to perform the necessary act of intelligently selecting our leaders. Follow your I.S. leaders and you will be knee in the Big Muddy. Two weekends in a row fixing problems with the hapless leaders doing what? Maybe trying to avoid being fragged.

2029guy

These recovery operations happen way too often. There is no incentive to build well designed systems because they are not paying overtime. They know that people will come in over the weekend and do what ever it takes to get the job done. If they were paying time and a half I bet this would happen much less often.

2029guy

I would like to propose something in this thread and if it goes over well perhaps we can get it in front of Don.

I believe and I could be wrong on the exact work rules but if the drivers work over 40 hours during the week they get overtime pay in the amount of one and one half times their hourly pay. If they work over 40 hours and work on the weekend or a UPS Holliday they get overtime pay in the amount of twice their hourly rate.

This is my proposal, if a management person works over 40 hours during the week they will get one and one half that amount of time off at some future date. If they work over 40 hours during the week and also work on the weekend or a UPS Holliday they will get two times that amount of time off at some future date.

This next part is perhaps even more important than the first. The WAR system MUST be updated! I don’t know if everyone is aware of this but lots of time and money is spend producing all kinds of reports based on your WAR hours. It must be updated to automatically keep track of how much extra time off you are entitled to. Then when things slow down and your PL or PM Ok’s it you can start using this extra time off. There will be a new bucket that you will use to enter it in WAR. That way they will be able to produce reports showing which PL and PM’s are the most effective at time management of their employees. Now there will be an incentive to produce systems that are more robust with regard to error handling. There will be an incentive to produce documentation that will reduce the amount of time necessary solve problems. Without the update to the WAR system, individual System Managers may agree to the new work rules and just say to keep track of it yourself and enter it in WAR as personal time or something like that. There will be no way to produce reports at the Enterprise Level and the next time they change your System manager the next guy could conveniently forget the previous agreement and you are back to square one.

I honestly feel that this arrangement is only fair when you consider that may single unit Management people at lower grade levels make less that package car drivers especially when you consider the changes that were made to the MIP. This at least puts everyone on a level playing field. No one is being forced to use the extra hours you can use them at your and your manager’s discretion. It does not harm the business your management decides when you can use the time everyone has crunch times and slow times you use it when it is slow.

I am not entirely sure what would be the appropriate forum for getting this proposal to DON. If anyone has any ideas please contribute.

A

Are you hourly ?

Don't you guys get MIP and add'l half month check ??
Before I retired I thought we were mgmt people who didn't punch a time clock.
Drivers don't get MIP and a half month check....

You IT guys act like hourly folks........

I would like to propose something in this thread and if it goes over well perhaps we can get it in front of Don.

I believe and I could be wrong on the exact work rules but if the drivers work over 40 hours during the week they get overtime pay in the amount of one and one half times their hourly pay. If they work over 40 hours and work on the weekend or a UPS Holliday they get overtime pay in the amount of twice their hourly rate.

This is my proposal, if a management person works over 40 hours during the week they will get one and one half that amount of time off at some future date. If they work over 40 hours during the week and also work on the weekend or a UPS Holliday they will get two times that amount of time off at some future date.

This next part is perhaps even more important than the first. The WAR system MUST be updated! I don’t know if everyone is aware of this but lots of time and money is spend producing all kinds of reports based on your WAR hours. It must be updated to automatically keep track of how much extra time off you are entitled to. Then when things slow down and your PL or PM Ok’s it you can start using this extra time off. There will be a new bucket that you will use to enter it in WAR. That way they will be able to produce reports showing which PL and PM’s are the most effective at time management of their employees. Now there will be an incentive to produce systems that are more robust with regard to error handling. There will be an incentive to produce documentation that will reduce the amount of time necessary solve problems. Without the update to the WAR system, individual System Managers may agree to the new work rules and just say to keep track of it yourself and enter it in WAR as personal time or something like that. There will be no way to produce reports at the Enterprise Level and the next time they change your System manager the next guy could conveniently forget the previous agreement and you are back to square one.

I honestly feel that this arrangement is only fair when you consider that may single unit Management people at lower grade levels make less that package car drivers especially when you consider the changes that were made to the MIP. This at least puts everyone on a level playing field. No one is being forced to use the extra hours you can use them at your and your manager’s discretion. It does not harm the business your management decides when you can use the time everyone has crunch times and slow times you use it when it is slow.

I am not entirely sure what would be the appropriate forum for getting this proposal to DON. If anyone has any ideas please contribute.

B

brownISer

2029guy---u gotta be kidding---the PM must be ROFL----!!!! why don't you go to his office tomorrow and make your proposal---I only hope they can identify your dental records once HE gets through with you :knockedout: (JK)

on the flip side, sometime it feels like we are hourly, in particular when you end up on some report because you were 5 minutes late---I understand the need to make a statement, but maybe just the repeat offenders could have been talked to about their tardiness---just a thought.

and lastly, WAR already tracks hours worked 'over & above' your NORMAL 40 hours a week. -- what you choose to do with that information is up to you and your immediate manager.

1 man vote 2

I'm sure this proposal on an anonymous message forum will go over so well with "DON". I'm just wondering if you're able to talk very fast, which will enable you to get this proposal in full out of your mouth between "DON"'s "GET" and "OUT OF MY OFFICE!"

When management realizes that IT is an asset, not a liability, and internal software systems are not overhead or an unnecessary expense, maybe things will change.

We're all going through the motions here. It's a matter of time before it's outsourced all together.

I would like to propose something in this thread and if it goes
over well perhaps we can get it in front of Don.

B

brownISer

I don't doubt you---all I am saying is, the PM would NEVER-EVER give any formal consideration to what you are proposing. Forget about an official policy granting overtime in the form of comp time 'cause it will never happen.

You just need to go to your manager and explain that you worked 60 hours last week and would like to take a day off next week. You'd be surprised how many managers would allow you to take the day (but only one !!!)

Maybe you developed agent orange and can't think clearly. Our leaders worked with us to resolve defects that we caused and another portfolio caused. We all worked many hours to resolve and we worked as a team from the top on down who were on all the conference calls. Who got fragged ? No one that I know of .........And that's the news !!!!!!

Oversize,

Having been a Viet Nam reporter for many years, I can tell you for sure that we are not educated well enough to perform the necessary act of intelligently selecting our leaders. Follow your I.S. leaders and you will be knee in the Big Muddy. Two weekends in a row fixing problems with the hapless leaders doing what? Maybe trying to avoid being fragged.

2029guy

I think that it is only appropriate that at this time I point out that the New York Giants beat the Green Bay Packers under absolutely ridiculous conditions and incase you have been living on another planet are now going to the Super Bowl and that Don is actually a very decent person and a very big sports fan.

B

brownISer

2029guy---I don't disagree with all you are saying---and you sound like a decent guy yourself ---

---however, do not think that because the PM likes sports (and you perceive him to be a nice guy) that he will entertain your proposal---what does one have to do with the other??---

to use a sports analogy, probably the only way he would even listen to such a proposal is if his favorite ballplayer would be the one to approach him about it---and if you know who that player is, you know that ain't ever happening :angel:

---and I watched the entire game so I am fully aware the Giants are going to the Super Bowl---

GO GIANTS --- !!!!! :thumbup: