Glad I'm out of this Part2

It will be fine

Forced to by government regulations. Why do you think ISP happened?
That's not how things actually work. A court can say, "you were violating the law, pay up." They can't say, "we think whatever new model you create will be in violation of the law, so you have to alter your entire business structure."
There's no reason to believe FedEx won't continue to adapt to any new regulations.

Bounty

That's not how things actually work. A court can say, "you were violating the law, pay up." They can't say, "we think whatever new model you create will be in violation of the law, so you have to alter your entire business structure."
There's no reason to believe FedEx won't continue to adapt to any new regulations.
You know as much as me, about the future, that's your guess. My guess is different.

It will be fine

You know as much as me, about the future, that's your guess. My guess is different.
My "guess" is how the laws of this country work. A damaged party has to sue, if they're successful they get compensated. ISP was created to address issues raised in lawsuits, to limit FedEx liability. No court or legislature forced FedEx to change their model. They adapt the model to better fit the law.
Your guess is senseless complaining. It could only happen with such a drastic change in law to eliminate all contract labor. As that would destroy the country's economy, I don't see that as very likely.

dmac1

Have you heard about the lawsuits???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? You gave them the right to void your contract. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I urge you and everyone to read about how fedex is buying out contractors in Ca. Even the ISP plan doesn't comply with the laws.

It will be fine

Have you heard about the lawsuits???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? You gave them the right to void your contract. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I urge you and everyone to read about how fedex is buying out contractors in Ca. Even the ISP plan doesn't comply with the laws.
They've always had that right, it's not new. The ISP model hasn't been challenged yet. FedEx is not buying routes.

bacha29

Guys I think it would be a good idea if you larger contractors looked into getting some insurance in case of a dramatic and unforeseen turn of events. An insurer who is willing to insure the losses you may encur if for example a new board of directors were to scrap the current contractor model. All it would take would be for a couple of well capitalized hedge funds to get together and lauch a proxy battle or hostile takeover bid . Remember your contract offers no severance or buyout if that were to occur.It's up to you to protect your gains. Oh, that's right. I'm supposed to be the crazy one.

dmac1

History says X will change its model to comply with court rulings. It's not a matter of how I see it. It's a matter of documented historical fact.

Fedex will use contractors only until they are no longer worth it. That time is close. ISPs do nothing that fedex can't do themselves without the middleman.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Guys I think it would be a good idea if you larger contractors looked into getting some insurance in case of a dramatic and unforeseen turn of events. An insurer who is willing to insure the losses you may encur if for example a new board of directors were to scrap the current contractor model. All it would take would be for a couple of well capitalized hedge funds to get together and lauch a proxy battle or hostile takeover bid . Remember your contract offers no severance or buyout if that were to occur.It's up to you to protect your gains. Oh, that's right. I'm supposed to be the crazy one.
Excellent idea even tho some like @bbsam think that being a contractor is nothing but endless clover.

When you deal with Fred it's wise to cover your ass the best you can.

bbsam

Staff member
Fedex will use contractors only until they are no longer worth it. That time is close. ISPs do nothing that fedex can't do themselves without the middleman.
You mean ISPs don't save the company something like 30% in labor cost?

dmac1

Fedex pays you, you pay the driver. Fedex could eliminate you and pay them directly. And they will. You are a useless leech to fedex, just sucking up cash that they could use themselves. You provide nothing that UPS does with an all employee force. Why do you think you are indespensible??????

bbsam

Staff member
Fedex pays you, you pay the driver. Fedex could eliminate you and pay them directly. And they will. You are a useless leech to fedex, just sucking up cash that they could use themselves. You provide nothing that UPS does with an all employee force. Why do you think you are indespensible??????
Ask MFE.

So is X so stupid and incompetent that they haven't thought of this til now? Seriously. You said it before in another thread. This is all far bigger than X and the ISP model.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm really beginning to wonder if you understand contracting at all.