Good bye to the Friday after Thanksgiving

trouble maker

Doesn't anyone else think this is very odd on how the company waited until the contract was ratified to dump this bombshell on the membership?? As far as I'm concerned, this should have been brought to the table when negotiations were on going. If the Teamsters let this happen it's absolute BULL****!!!! If it's not in my new little labor agreement book, I'M NOT WORKING!!!!!

beentheredonethat

The contract itself was mostly ironed out before peak hit us. We had lots of issues this peak, which is why UPS is making changes. The cyber Monday service failures was one of the problems.. Working the day after Thanksgiving, although unpopular is needed to keep up with the volume. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we have drivers working the Sunday before Christmas too. (Maybe not this year, but probably next year).

From seeing what UPS is doing, with a lot of areas hiring a lot more drivers, I'm hoping this drives the avg paid down a bit to a more reasonable level and gets us enough trained bodies for peak. UPS also needs to increase our hub capacity by building some bigger hubs to relieve the strain and congestion in our network.

oldngray

nowhere special
The main issue was UPS not hiring enough people. They worked drivers at near peak levels all year and when the actual peak arrived of course the system blew up.

The contract itself was mostly ironed out before peak hit us. We had lots of issues this peak, which is why UPS is making changes. The cyber Monday service failures was one of the problems.. Working the day after Thanksgiving, although unpopular is needed to keep up with the volume. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we have drivers working the Sunday before Christmas too. (Maybe not this year, but probably next year).

From seeing what UPS is doing, with a lot of areas hiring a lot more drivers, I'm hoping this drives the avg paid down a bit to a more reasonable level and gets us enough trained bodies for peak. UPS also needs to increase our hub capacity by building some bigger hubs to relieve the strain and congestion in our network.

The one thing to remember is the DOT hours of service are you friend. When 60 hits you are done regardless of UPS' ideas may be.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Wow some of you guys are some greedy people , you couldn't pay enough to step away from my family

All this was a big fu letting you know that ups does not care about its workers or their families
Last time I checked we still get Thanksgiving off. I will spend time with my family on that day, make some serious cash the day after, them have the rest of the weekend to spend with them.

You do also realize that since about three years ago several big box stores; Target, Best Buy, Walmart all open their doors on Thanksgiving, requiring employees to miss dinner. Think about that while you're carving out your turkey.

10 point

I have to address the B-day day off. A birthday is meaningless for anyone over the age of 12-15. Every single person has a birthday. The likes of Jeffrey Dahmer and Charles Manson all have birthdays. Adam Carolla has hit the nail on the head. We should have an achievement day. A day where you made a big achievement. It would change as you get older if you had bigger achievements. Birthday is just a day your mom squeezed all of us out.

Hoffa has a new achievement day. The day he screwed a good percentage of the union members by forcing a contract.
My birthday is more important to my wife and children than it is to me. Also, my term insurance agent is in that group.