got caught playing hooky

NEVER play hooky. When I need time off, I tell them I have something I need to do. Whenever I have business I need to take care of I tell them I have business to take care of END OF STORY. If I'm sick or not feeling well, I tell them that. If I call in to say I'm going to be out, I Always call before coming in. But verytypically, unless it's some dire emergency that can't be helped, I let them know a week in advance at a minimum. THAT way there are NO surprises. If I say I have business to take care of, I could be running errands, etc. So if I'm seen ANYWHERE, i'M STILL COVERED. Even if seen in Walmart or even in line at a movie theater. "I took care of my business first now I'm enjoying the rest of the day."

Tony31yrs

If you call in sick, at least stay home the first half of the day. This way they can't nail you for not being sick. You could say you were sick in the morning. If you intend to call in, whether sick or not, never come in or they will always try to get you to come in. Once I was sick and my supe told me he would deliver if I came in and sorted and drove. I was miserable all day even though I didn't have to do much.
Another time I called in sick and my oncar tried his damnest to talk me into coming in. When I came in the next day, the cover driver that ran my route told me he was extra and ready to go home until they put him on my route. I was so ticked off that I would never come in after calling, even if I just needed to take a day to sit home and get something done. Actually, I didn't get sick much and saved my sick days until Oct or Nov and set it up with them to take a whole week like an extra vacation. They loved it and so did I.

JustTired

free at last.......
If I say I have business to take care of, I could be running errands, etc. So if I'm seen ANYWHERE, i'M STILL COVERED. Even if seen in Walmart or even in line at a movie theater. "I took care of my business first now I'm enjoying the rest of the day."

This isn't high school!!!! So you call in sick and they see you somewhere. Big deal! Maybe you were just sick of working 11 hour/day. But as I stated before, there really is no reason to say you are sick if you're not. Just take yourself "out of service". They don't need an explanation.

It's a job.....not jail!!!

HazMatMan

ok, i have the worst of luck. I called into my on-car sup today and told her i was sick and i wasn't coming in. i did this becasue, i worked for her on Saturday doing Saturday air and i needed a 2 day weekend to catch up on stuff i needed to do. so i go out and get something to eat and well and behold there was the vast majority of the centers management there. i feel like an ass and probably going to get canned from my nice little part time air driving job.:sick:
Although what you did was kind of shady (not really being sick) Am I not allowed to leave my house when I am sick, I could be on my way to the doctor, pharmacy, etc....And on the way home from the doctor's office grab a bite to eat at the local diner. Am I to be confined to my bed when I call in sick. Next time you do that, make a home cooked meal.lol.

upsdude

First of all, no-one will get fired if a manager sees them when they called out sick. I just don't believe that story. Is the manager some kind of doctor that magically knows that you weren't sick 4 hours ago when you called in? Maybe there's more to that story like he abused his sick days, but they can't just fire you for using your sick days.

"Personally, I hate to waste a perfectly good sick day when I'm sick."

Gotta agree with Longlunchguy.

Over,

The guy is a good friend of mine, he was fired for "dishonesty". When the manager saw him at Walmart he admitted he wasn't "sick". His choice was to take the 3 days or wait a couple months for a panel hearing.

upsdude

I did call in to a previous job several years ago. I told them I had an eye problem, I didn't see myself working that day.

Channahon

I did the same thing at another company I had worked at since I was 16. I called in to go on a date with my boyfriend at the time. And surprise, surpise as we were stopped at a light, I saw one of the bosses in the next car. Awkward to say the least, and the next day I talked to her about the situation. She wasn't happy, but it never went any further. Well, that was enough for me and I never, ever called in sick at that job or UPS, unless I was really sick. Funny, how that changed my work ethic as a kid.

local804

Re: got cought playing hooky

Never call in sick if you’re not sick. Should have called and said you had personal business to take care of and you wouldn’t be working today.

Had a guy in my center a couple years ago, calls in says he is sick. About an hour later the center manager and a sup are in WalMart buying bottled water for the drivers. Low and behold there’s the sick guy in line, fishing supplies and a case of adult beverages. They fired him the next morning, after 3 days the division manager put him back to work.

Seriously, don’t call in sick if you aren’t. We really hate management being dishonest with us, why do it to them?

Let me get this right here........
You mean to tell me you never called in sick to burn days or had something to do?

local804

Over,

The guy is a good friend of mine, he was fired for "dishonesty". When the manager saw him at Walmart he admitted he wasn't "sick". His choice was to take the 3 days or wait a couple months for a panel hearing.

UPS is taking him to an arbitraitor for banging in sick? Was he given warnings about excessive sick time and was the correct measures taken? I think there is more to the story.

UPS is taking him to an arbitraitor for banging in sick? Was he given warnings about excessive sick time and was the correct measures taken? I think there is more to the story.
Not necessarily, I have seen CMs fire people at times that no sensible person would even consider that course of action. Granted, the employee always got their job back but what a hassle that was. Ya know, some managers will tell something that everyone knows is incorrect and will stick to it till the cows come home to keep from admitting to being wrong.

Puck

Man,Myth...Legend....
why would you ever admit to not being sick... Ive called in sick on payday and showed up to pick up my paycheck in he afternoon.... told them I was feeling a little better, just had to get my check and would definately be in the following day.... they never had a problem... i will say a guy goes home almost every day in my center due to us being over drivers... so to bang in isnt a cardinal crime even if you are out of days if they have enough staff...

upsdude

804…………

The situation was as I posted, they fired him the next morning for “Dishonesty”. The “Dishonesty” was calling in saying he was sick and unable to work. When he was confronted at Wally World he admitted he wasn’t sick. Three days later the DM offers a time served suspension or he can wait a couple months and let the panel decide it. Most folks can’t go that long without a paycheck. I will say that his absence was a problem for most of us. It was peak vacation period, 100-degree heat with very high humidity, we needed everyone at work.

To answer your question about my “attendance”, No, I have never called in “Sick” to UPS when I was fully able to work. I’ve called and said I had business to take care of or family issues. I’ve called and asked for a day off, sometimes I get one sometimes I don’t. The times I have called in sick I went to a doctor and offered UPS a note upon my return. Maybe that’s why I’ve never been questioned or hassled when I did call in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Puck, you sure are a class act. You called in sick and actually had the nerve to go in the same day and get your pay check and told them you would be in the next day. Oh, that's right, you needed some money for the snack bar at the hockey rink.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I like Puck. Guys like him keep me entertained at work while I quietly go about taking care of business. I once had a job while I was laid off at the beginning of my UPS career. Started at 5 in the morning and made 5 bucks an hour. One morning the alarm went off and I told the wife I aint going in anymore. We had a chuckle and went back to sleep. About a week later the boss calls me and asks me if I was coming in. No. "It's nice you called" was all he had to say. I call in sick once every 5 years now.

local804

Not necessarily, I have seen CMs fire people at times that no sensible person would even consider that course of action. Granted, the employee always got their job back but what a hassle that was. Ya know, some managers will tell something that everyone knows is incorrect and will stick to it till the cows come home to keep from admitting to being wrong.

Yes, same situation has happened here in the past. When a guy is discharged for 3 months before the hearing and wins, do you know what happens?
A: a very large retro active check- and it happened a few times.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I've never called in sick when I was not sick, it's just me, I would feel guilty lying. I have had to take a sick day a few times when I wasn't sick because my center manager made me use them when I needed a day off. Anyway it's worked out well because when I retire I will (unless I end up sick or have surgery) have over 40 sick days to cash out at a very higher pay rate than when they accrued.

Puck

Man,Myth...Legend....
Puck, you sure are a class act. You called in sick and actually had the nerve to go in the same day and get your pay check and told them you would be in the next day. Oh, that's right, you needed some money for the snack bar at the hockey rink.

Man you really love playing the " holier than thou" card eh??
I actually came in with my doctors note to give them, 1.. to show I went to the doctor and 2. told them I needed my check so I could filly my prescirption since I was broke.... noone had a problem with it... seems the only one to have a problem with it is..... YOU !...

If I ever call in on payday and Im not sick or really need my check, I have another driver grab it for me and i meet up with him later on in the day to get it....

rod

Retired 22 years
Man you really love playing the " holier than thou" card eh??
I actually came in with my doctors note to give them, 1.. to show I went to the doctor and 2. told them I needed my check so I could filly my prescirption since I was broke.... noone had a problem with it... seems the only one to have a problem with it is..... YOU !...

If I ever call in on payday and Im not sick or really need my check, I have another driver grab it for me and i meet up with him later on in the day to get it....
touche!!! That's 1 for **** and zero for UpstateNYUPSer