GPS not allowed?

clean hairy

Newbie wimps: Get your clipboard and pickup log, calls, and one shots, and get er' done.

Don't forget a extra time card because you have extra splits with separate area codes!
?????
Instead of zip code, the company is going to be using telephone area codes?
Who came up with this brlliant idea?
The same ones who came up with Orion?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
?????
Instead of zip code, the company is going to be using telephone area codes?
Who came up with this brlliant idea?
The same ones who came up with Orion?
Lol, you never had to use the center's area map I gather? Main Street might be 102 but all the streets off Main might be area 104.

Last edited:

By The Book

I had an interview yesterday for a seasonal driving position. The HR rep stated that GPS is not allowed because it is a distraction. I agree that GPS can be a distraction if a driver is typing an address on his phone or staring at the screen while driving but if you are sitting in the package truck parked typing in an address or using the speech function and while driving only listening to where the phone is telling you to go and not looking at the screen. i.e. "when you hit elm street turn left" how can that be a distraction?

Also we were told that it is highly probable that we could be running a route one week then a different route the next. So how the hell do you know where you are going? And please don't tell me using traditional maps. You would never get anything delivered.
Do you live in the town where you will be working much?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I had an interview yesterday for a seasonal driving position. The HR rep stated that GPS is not allowed because it is a distraction. I agree that GPS can be a distraction if a driver is typing an address on his phone or staring at the screen while driving but if you are sitting in the package truck parked typing in an address or using the speech function and while driving only listening to where the phone is telling you to go and not looking at the screen. i.e. "when you hit elm street turn left" how can that be a distraction?

Also we were told that it is highly probable that we could be running a route one week then a different route the next. So how the hell do you know where you are going? And please don't tell me using traditional maps. You would never get anything delivered.
Routes will be easier to remember than you think. Tell them to get you a comprehensive map of your area before you go out. I make my own maps to help learn them but I do keep a GPS on hand to look up a road I may never heard of or forgot from time to time.

I will admit though I have a tendency to run stop for stop from the GPS for Saturday air. Sue me.

BostonBo

My map book got stolen, so I depend on GPS on my iPhone when I'm asked to help at night. If I'm in a dead zone? Sucks for them.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Routes will be easier to remember than you think. Tell them to get you a comprehensive map of your area before you go out. I make my own maps to help learn them but I do keep a GPS on hand to look up a road I may never heard of or forgot from time to time.

Before I retired, and they were really pushing SPC, I would get some weird splits I hadn't run in 15-20 years. I did use Google maps if I had a road/street I had never heard of. Nothing wrong with that. Using GPS all day, no.

Arch

That question gets ask a lot.

My first day by myself was a disaster. Had about 100 stops and only got about 70 done. My on road Sup had to find me and help me finish the 30 stops left. I was the last one back in the building.

My advice to learning routes is to take your car at the end of the day and drive the route as many times as possible. This will benefit you like no other. Use the weekend to your advantage.

wayfair

swollen member
My advice to learning routes is to take your car at the end of the day and drive the route as many times as possible. This will benefit you like no other. Use the weekend to your advantage.

My advice, enjoy your weekends and time off of work...

JL 0513

Because if it takes you 2 minutes to enter each address into GPS and you're running 160 stops that's roughly 2x160= 320 / 60 minutes cones to 5.3 wasted hours in a day.

2 minutes? It takes no more than 3 seconds to load an address into Google Maps which can be done on the walk back to the PC. I wouldn't shuffle through a map book on my walks.

Paper map scenario:
-Look up street name among list of all streets in city/town printed in tiny print.
-Remember corresponding location number on different page in book and take a while searching tiny printed street names tightly squished together into a blur.
- Once found, begin memorizing all the streets and turns it takes to get there.
-If you remember all these and get to the street. You then realize you should of taken a left instead of right at the intersection because paper maps don't know number breaks.

Indecisi0n

2 minutes? It takes no more than 3 seconds to load an address into Google Maps which can be done on the walk back to the PC. I wouldn't shuffle through a map book on my walks.

Paper map scenario:
-Look up street name among list of all streets in city/town printed in tiny print.
-Remember corresponding location number on different page in book and take a while searching tiny printed street names tightly squished together into a blur.
- Once found, begin memorizing all the streets and turns it takes to get there.
-If you remember all these and get to the street. You then realize you should of taken a left instead of right at the intersection because paper maps don't know number breaks.
When he said GPS and it announcing turn by turn direction I assume he meant a car GPSnot Google maps. Yea I know the phone can do it but he didn't specify and those car GPS's are slow as balls.

opey

a modern stand alone gps made in the past 5 years really isnt slow, especially when its looking up addresses all in the same area or zip code

but google maps is the way, it will show u exactly where the house is so you cut out making wrong turns, u can plan stops that u walk off from an intersection, etc. a paper map cant help you with any of that. a paper map definitely is handy though, and you definitely should have one as a back up. if u have a neighborhood with twisty roads it helps to be able to just quickly look at the overview to see where you are going