Grievance for inappropriate talk at work!

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by MNguyen, Jan 28, 2015.

1. SafeYARDdog

SafeYARDdog Member

Hello,
    Last night, one of the senior Feeder driver (25 years safe driving or something) said ":censored2: you" to me. That guy is rude and every time he asks for help, he uses command (another shifter told me that). The scene is: He came to me after i padded a trailer from a door "This trailer is supposed to be at door xxx, why did you move it? I need a dolly in front of it!" --> "Excuse me, are you asking for help or is that a command?", i gave him a big laugh after he repeated with an aggressive tone "Can you move a dolly?". We all know the ending.
    I intend to file a grievance, probably won't help but i think it would be fun to see what's going on. My first grievance after 2 years and if it was out side, i would kick his ass.
    I ll appreciate any advice to make the grievance valuable. Best!
    MNguyen.

Ps: I have met so many nice feeders and rarely say No when others need help.BTW there are always a certain amount of feeders who don't know Jack.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

jack_sparrow_wut.jpg

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. sailfish

sailfish Having way too much fun.

Ok. I was hoping it wasn't just me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  4. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

Grievances are filed against management for contract violations, not against coworkers because you get offended.

• Agree x 7
    • Winner x 5
    • Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. HardknocksUPSer

HardknocksUPSer Well-Known Member

I'm assuming he doesn't file grievances enough to know? Lmao:D

6. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

No.

Waaaahhhh!

7. SafeYARDdog

SafeYARDdog Member

Now i'm assuming kicking ass is the only way to solve the problem between co-workers. Hahaha

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. HardknocksUPSer

Lol exactly what I had in mind! Haha

9. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

unfortunate. just ignore him. you are under no obligation to help another employee unless directed. ( as far as I know )

we help each other because we want to. I will help someone I dislike if it is a safety issue.

instead of anger , you should feel compassion for this person. they are out of balance for some reason. maybe if you use a different approach with compassion in mind, the outcome will be different.

good luck.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. BrownTexas

BrownTexas Well-Known Member

You should tell him "your not my supervisor" and just keep doing whatever u were doing.

11. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

As a feeder driver, there is opportunity to get into binds in the yard often (trailers too close together, cant get to landing gear, not enough room to make a turn with a set or rail trailer, etc) A shifter can be your friend. I used to keep snacks in my lunch designated for just such a situation. They would literally race each other in the yard to get to me first, knowing there was a bag of skittles or a ho-ho in it for them. lol.
    P.S. Sometimes there are shifters that don't know Jack either.

• Like Like x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  12. SafeYARDdog

SafeYARDdog Member

i haven't seen that scene before, probably because you retired. LOL

13. happybob

happybob Feeders

Nguyen, no offense intended here but take my advise, kicking a coworkers ass will get you fired. More advise, if you care to take it, use a little tack when dealing with old grouchy feeder drivers, since I may be considered one of them at times. The feeder driver was looking for that trailer to be on the door it was supposed to be on because he was already hooked up to another trailer and backing a trailer with a dolly attached to the rear end is a bitch, but doable when necessary. He has probably had it set up with a dolly on that door so he can back up to the dolly to connect his set together and was hoping you would help him out. Sorry if he was grouchy/arrogant or just a pain in the ass. Instead of laughing at him, which probably triggered more anger on his part, but maybe trying this would have diffused the situation

Feeder driver: Why isn't the trailer on this door that was supposed to be here?
    Lousy tone to his voice?

Nguyen: Sorry dude, but like you, I do what I'm told and they told me to take it off door.

Feeder driver: Any way you can help me out? (I know he didn't ask, but more demanded it) I'm already hooked to a trailer and it would be a great help if you can back a dolly up to that trailer you moved off door?

Nguyen: Sure, not a problem. I moved the trailer to bay# --- and will get a dolly backed under it for you. Will you be able to set your doubles up where that trailer is located, or do you need the trailer moved first?

I've run into this situation many times at other buildings and most shifters don't mind helping us out in that situation because they've run into similar instances in the past.

Filing a grievance is for when the company violates the contract. If you feel it's necessary to get his attention you can speak to HR about it. This brings heat on a fellow employee, is it REALLY necessary to take it that far? I'm thinking he was probably having a bad night...at least that's what I hope it was and not a Feeder Driver making us other Feeder Drivers look like a bunch of yahoos. Yes, I know, we have been called worst.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  14. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

You may want to deescalate the situation since you won round one. Neither the company or the union like to be involved in Brown on Brown grievances. Usually turns out bad for both parties.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

escalated.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  16. HardknocksUPSer

Feeder drivers walk in, start drama, leave and the drama still goes around while the feeder driver leaves lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Just tell your supervisor. I know if someone was talking to my guys like that I would make sure it would get fixed. Not acceptable to talk to other people like that no matter how frustrating the situation is.

18. HardknocksUPSer

I wish you were my sup, you always seem reasonable.

19. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Filing a grievance is not the right course of action in this situation. I would suggest going to HR but that would needlessly escalate an already hostile situation. I think it's best to just let this one go---for now. Happens again and all bets are off.

20. bluehdmc

bluehdmc Well-Known Member

If this guy has been a feeder driver for 25yrs he should know that yard control and dispatch don't communicate with each other. Heck sometimes dispatchers don't communicate with each other, automated arrivals and departures helps, (they can't dispatch 2 drivers w/one trailer). I driven around buildings looking for trailers that had already left. Anyway, if this guy continues to be rude try talking to a steward, and if that doesn't work go to HR and complain about a hostile work environment.

Myself, if someone said :censored2: you to me it would be snowing in July before I gave him a hand. If I was shifting and another driver TOLD me to put a dolly in front of a trailer, I might tell him to try asking "please".