Ground Driver, Am I Being Underpaid?

l22

Please tell me what unique skills and qualities you possess which justify making $35/hr to deliver packages.

I'll wait.

Express drivers should get more than what they do per hour. Trying to justify what someone is paid per hour just by skills and qualities alone can't really be done. Just because we don't work as hard as UPS drivers doesn't mean we don't do challenging work. The big wigs at Fedex all rake in huge amounts of money and give frontline employees their table scraps with a small "benefits" package, while they walk away with huge amounts of money no single human being should ever have. Sure CEOs work hard but not that hard - they have plenty of people who do their bidding for them. Even if UPS is a different ballgame and UPS drivers work harder than Express drivers do, they are comparable businesses.

l22

The UPS drivers on my route don't seem to be rushing or working much harder than I am when I see them on a daily basis. They say they go slow because they will get blamed if they get injured or get in an accident. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I do the same thing!

It will be fine

The UPS drivers on my route don't seem to be rushing or working much harder than I am when I see them on a daily basis. They say they go slow because they will get blamed if they get injured or get in an accident. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I do the same thing!
I find it entertaining that you advocate both a higher wage and lower productivity. I would probably actually laugh at my drivers if they said something like that.

Driver "I want to do less work and have you pay me more money."

Me "It's nice to want things. That's hilarious. Have a nice day."

I don't understand why you think being less productive will make management value you more. It's very strange.

STFXG

Express drivers should get more than what they do per hour. Trying to justify what someone is paid per hour just by skills and qualities alone can't really be done. Just because we don't work as hard as UPS drivers doesn't mean we don't do challenging work. The big wigs at Fedex all rake in huge amounts of money and give frontline employees their table scraps with a small "benefits" package, while they walk away with huge amounts of money no single human being should ever have. Sure CEOs work hard but not that hard - they have plenty of people who do their bidding for them. Even if UPS is a different ballgame and UPS drivers work harder than Express drivers do, they are comparable businesses.

So grunts should be rewarded with higher pay because the company is profitable? That's realistic.

And yes, justifying what someone is paid based on skills can be done easily. A non-skilled work force has more people in it. All of which are replaceable. The more resources available the lower the cost to maintain them. The wage that gets paid is the lowest one that the company can pay and still keep the business staffed. Until no one is willing to accept a job at express for the wage and benefits being offered there is no reason to increase wages. And they won't. They will continue to take away until they find the lowest acceptable wage and benefits package to stay productive.

Unionize and strong arm the company in to giving you want you feel you deserve. Find a new job. Or continue to grab your ankles. The three options for frontliners.

l22

I find it entertaining that you advocate both a higher wage and lower productivity. I would probably actually laugh at my drivers if they said something like that.

Driver "I want to do less work and have you pay me more money."

Me "It's nice to want things. That's hilarious. Have a nice day."

I don't understand why you think being less productive will make management value you more. It's very strange.

Glad you find it entertaining :-). As professional drivers, we have a responsibility to go out each day and come back not having had an accident. We are the face of these companies and are given a responsibility to use the proper methods, obey the rules of the road, and above all take care of the customers - This can result in less productivity but is good for the company as a whole. I don't see how that is very strange. If a driver gets in an accident, the driver will get there later anyways.

Last edited:

Browndriver5

I honestly do believe by our next UPS contract the newly hired full time drivers will be paid like our competition and those already invested with the company will remain at their current wages. There is really nothing we can do about it. Fed ex and other employers are under paying their employees and thus under cutting us on sales leads. We cant keep going up and up it will put us out of business. Here is to hoping I go full time before 2018

STFXG

I honestly do believe by our next UPS contract the newly hired full time drivers will be paid like our competition and those already invested with the company will remain at their current wages. There is really nothing we can do about it. Fed ex and other employers are under paying their employees and thus under cutting us on sales leads. We cant keep going up and up it will put us out of business. Here is to hoping I go full time before 2018

So every other company is underpaying? Not that UPS is overpaying?

FedEx doesn't need to undercut UPS. Our ground service is faster and that's where the accounts are going.

Browndriver5

So every other company is underpaying? Not that UPS is overpaying?

FedEx doesn't need to undercut UPS. Our ground service is faster and that's where the accounts are going.
Lol if you believe its because you are "faster" then you are clueless. Yes I do think Fed ex under pays a long with the rest of the big companies in the world who :censored2: on everyone. Theres a reason there are more jobs in the world now and its because companies are paying two employees for the price of one and its crap. There is no reason a fed ex driver should make what a mcdonalds worker makes and if you believe that then you have never worked a day in your life or just a dumb ass

STFXG

Lol if you believe its because you are "faster" then you are clueless. Yes I do think Fed ex under pays a long with the rest of the big companies in the world who :censored2: on everyone. Theres a reason there are more jobs in the world now and its because companies are paying two employees for the price of one and its crap. There is no reason a fed ex driver should make what a mcdonalds worker makes and if you believe that then you have never worked a day in your life or just a dumb ass
Your response shows your intelligence level.