Helper Woes

JakeD

one of the drivers in the town i help in got a 3rd helper this week after the one on monday was hungover and tuesday was old and slow. apparently wed. is working so far. call and you should receive.

if you're quick you should only be in the rain for a very short time. use the handrail.. those steps are slippery

my driver says he slows me down when he delivers a package so he asked for me back this year. :)

UPSGUY72

So far for peak I have run 4 different routes. 3 had helper and one I did by myself. When I showed up to work Friday I was on my 4th route of peak and my SUP said the other driver that have had this helper say he sucks I told him I would break him in. Well the other driver where correct he is lazy and over weight and can't follow simple instructions. We had 230 stops and I told him we where going to be done he looked at me like I was speaking a different language. To say the least to day didn't turn out to good I had to work in the dark.

When I got back to the building my SUP was there and I told him the helper sucked. He said they where making a different route on Monday but haven't decided on who they where putting on it yet. I told him me I do anything but work with this idiot again.

gingerkat

Well the pay is crap, the training is crap… what more can be said about helpers being lazy and quitting? HR doesn't exactly tell the truth as to how fast paced it is and what it really entails.

gregdutchmol

Well the pay is crap, the training is crap… what more can be said about helpers being lazy and quitting? HR doesn't exactly tell the truth as to how fast paced it is and what it really entails.

I got lucky with my driver. He lets me work his full route, from loading his truck to the last stop. I get 40+ a week :) After reading on here for a few weeks I was really worried about only working 3-4 hours a day.

iruhnman630

I think I had the perfect first-day helper on Thursday.

'So I just ring the doorbell and leave the package on the prch?

'Yup.'

It took her about 5 stops to figure it out. She knew how to look for the address (some idiots don't), she wasn't afraid to work (saving up for 2 months in Australia is great motivation), knew enough to wait on the passenger side of the road (bravo), and moved like an experienced driver.

It was a definite rarity.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not sure. It is a remote route so a truck from the center meets up with 3-4 of our trucks and we load up from there. What is a satellite center and what other types are there?

A satellite center is exactly what you described. The truck that brings you the work originates from the main center which is where most of us work out of. Our hubs sort packages to the main center, which then distributes them to the satellites, if any.

gregdutchmol

A satellite center is exactly what you described. The truck that brings you the work originates from the main center which is where most of us work out of. Our hubs sort packages to the main center, which then distributes them to the satellites, if any.

So the location that the trailer meets us is the "satellite center?"

The only problem that I am having is that the center always messages my driver on his board asking if he has a helper...I have been with this guy since they called me and I haven't missed a day so do they just like...don't know that I exist...? I worry about the option for re-hire after the season. I know the odds are low anyway so I have been looking for other work until the possibility my came up in the future.

gingerkat

I'm a good helper as I got recruited this year and now I'm regretting it. I absolutely do NOT want more than 5 hours a day and have to remind my driver of that. He now has a second helper as his route is really busy. The sad thing is, he still keeps me really long.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So the location that the trailer meets us is the "satellite center?"

The only problem that I am having is that the center always messages my driver on his board asking if he has a helper...I have been with this guy since they called me and I haven't missed a day so do they just like...don't know that I exist...? I worry about the option for re-hire after the season. I know the odds are low anyway so I have been looking for other work until the possibility my came up in the future.

Yes, the location where the trailer meets you is called a satellite center. UPS rents the space where the package cars are kept overnight. Packages and the DIAD(s) are brought from the home center and pickup pieces and the DIAD(s) are brought back at the end of the day.

Your odds of being rehired after Peak are much lower because you are working out of a satellite center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm a good helper as I got recruited this year and now I'm regretting it. I absolutely do NOT want more than 5 hours a day and have to remind my driver of that. He now has a second helper as his route is really busy. The sad thing is, he still keeps me really long.

It may be better for all involved if you were moved to a different route that only needs a helper for 5 or fewer hours. To me it would be a PITA to switch helpers during the day.

Marne Vet

Usually go through an average of 2 helpers before I get one that can work. I won't keep someone that is slow, complains all day, and/or can't follow simple instructions. I won't let them use the helper board, except on rare occasions will I hand them one already in signature mode to grab a signature for me while I sort. I've had some real knuckleheads over the years. Why does UPS even hire overweight people? I get it. Can't be biased, but for the love of Pete they just can't get the job done. I've yet to have an overweight person handle the job for 10+ hours a day every day. There's no excuse for me delivering 3-4 stops while they're still doing one. I also don't get how a guy in his early twenties, in shape, can't keep up with my old ass. My knees are shot, and I do this job year in, year out, and these kids cry as soon as the first hour passes. "When are we eating? When are we taking a break? How long till we're done? Is it like this every day? When do I get paid? Do we work in the rain? Do I have to carry that heavy (40 lb) box by myself?" Some days I just wanna cram a tampon in their mouths to stop the heavy flow. I did have one guy for 3 straight years that was great. He was on time every day. Never complained about anything, rain, shine, cold or blown-out. Could also keep a conversation going without using the word "like" to connect his sentences. "Are we getting done, like, soon, or like, later? You know, like, will I be paid on Thursday, or like Friday". ugh. This year I have a former Pre-loader. He worked for 6 years until he left the company for another job that fell through. He's always on time, and never complains. Is he quick? Nope, and I have to literally point to every door and wait until he starts in the right direction, but at least he's dependable. I take that over fat, stupid, and complaining any day.

Good luck with your helpers. Soon as it rains you'll know if they're a keeper or not, or if they're suddenly "ill".

gregdutchmol

Yes, the location where the trailer meets you is called a satellite center. UPS rents the space where the package cars are kept overnight. Packages and the DIAD(s) are brought from the home center and pickup pieces and the DIAD(s) are brought back at the end of the day.

Your odds of being rehired after Peak are much lower because you are working out of a satellite center.

Hmm. i will have to work my magic then. All the drivers that meet at the satellite center know me and my driver speaks highly of me so I have that. I've considered calling the main center and asking for HR but from what I have gathered from here is that HR is always busy and it's peak so I can't see them giving me the time of day. So. Sometime between now and the end of peak I might make a trip to the center and show my face and I guess express my interest in working at UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hmm. i will have to work my magic then. All the drivers that meet at the satellite center know me and my driver speaks highly of me so I have that. I've considered calling the main center and asking for HR but from what I have gathered from here is that HR is always busy and it's peak so I can't see them giving me the time of day. So. Sometime between now and the end of peak I might make a trip to the center and show my face and I guess express my interest in working at UPS.

How far is the main center from your home?