Hired off the street

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Nope. I just get tired of those people who say that anyone hired off the street has been given a gift.

I wasn't given anything. I was hired, in part, because I am a vet, and I have earned every penny that I have made ever since.

This guy did not go through the normal process of an outside hire (by his own admission). He had an inside track; he was gifted this position.

This isn't about you.

I'm a vet also, but you know what?
No one has ever cared, or ever will....., because you can insert Vietnam in front of that.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Nope. I just get tired of those people who say that anyone hired off the street has been given a gift.

I wasn't given anything. I was hired, in part, because I am a vet, and I have earned every penny that I have made ever since.
You were hired because they had a position to fill. That's it. You're not a special snowflake

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You were hired because they had a position to fill. That's it. You're not a special snowflake

I was hired off the street in 1978 in a 15 route center badly in need of drivers. I actually had 15 minutes seniority over another guy hired the same day. They hired a couple more drivers the following week.

Was I gifted the job? No, I was in the right place at the right time.

Did I lord my job over part-timers? No, we were a small center and all knew how much we all contributed.

When I retired three years ago, we were running around 60 routes a day. I'm told they are running around 90 routes now. And, most of the new guys are off the street because very few of the part-time people want to drive.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I was hired off the street in 1978 in a 15 route center badly in need of drivers. I actually had 15 minutes seniority over another guy hired the same day. They hired a couple more drivers the following week.

Was I gifted the job? No, I was in the right place at the right time.

Did I lord my job over part-timers? No, we were a small center and all knew how much we all contributed.

When I retired three years ago, we were running around 60 routes a day. I'm told they are running around 90 routes now. And, most of the new guys are off the street because very few of the part-time people want to drive.
You're a much better person than upstate.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
you entitled :censored2:.

we worked for years for a full time spot that you walked right into. how do you not see that your lucky.
He did just take advantage of the contract and everybody knows who has been around for awhile that the ratio was 2 or 3 to 1 outside hire so that's why so many guys like rockstar slipped into driving positions .... Those days are gone...thankfully next contract it should be 10 to 1 and the 1 being a part time sup

8000Shelf

So I am a little worried I might have made a bad decision. I have someone who is 30+ years seniority getting me in as a full time driver. Already passed the driving test, did the precourse work, and started training.

So the decision I made was to quit my full time job (a job I absolutely hated, a terrible career, but made a decent salary). I made that decision after talking with my friend who got me in, and another family friend who is 30+ years in as well. They said the center I am going to is in desperate need for ft drivers. With all of that I felt pretty secure in my decision, even with the pay cut I am taking to start.

Well now I have found this website, and everything I read about being hired off the street as a driver seems like I am going to get brought on, and then not be able to stick around, or just be kept seasonal or something like that. I consider myself a very hard worked, and really fast learner. You guys have me worried now!

I guess my question is....did I just make a terrible decision for me and my family?
Google "management by stress". It is the technique that is used by UPS mgmt. It will give you an idea of what your heading into.

By The Book

This guy did not go through the normal process of an outside hire (by his own admission). He had an inside track; he was gifted this position.

This isn't about you.

I'm a vet also, but you know what?
No one has ever cared, or ever will....., because you can insert Vietnam in front of that.
I'm a little confused....are you saying the op is somehow circumventing the contract because a few of his friends informed him of this opportunity? The company still needs to honor the hiring ratio, and if they are due for an outside hire, and the company is honoring the contract....how was he gifted this position again?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He did just take advantage of the contract and everybody knows who has been around for awhile that the ratio was 2 or 3 to 1 outside hire so that's why so many guys like rockstar slipped into driving positions .... Those days are gone...thankfully next contract it should be 10 to 1 and the 1 being a part time sup

"Take advantage"? "Slipped"?

I applied for the job and was hired. Like any other new applicant, I busted my butt for 30 days to get qualified. 27 years later I am still busting my butt.

There is a reason both sides agreed to include this language in the contract.

There is no way I would (could) have wasted 2-3 years of my life working as a PTer just to get the "opportunity" to become a driver. I had a young family and while my (ex) wife had a great job (RN) I still needed to do my part and working just 3.5 hours a day for peanuts just wasn't going to cut it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm a little confused....are you saying the op is somehow circumventing the contract because a few of his friends informed him of this opportunity? The company still needs to honor the hiring ratio, and if they are due for an outside hire, and the company is honoring the contract....how was he gifted this position again?

He wasn't given anything other than a very helpful reference from a long time employee.

Overpaid Union Thug

"Take advantage"? "Slipped"?

I applied for the job and was hired. Like any other new applicant, I busted my butt for 30 days to get qualified. 27 years later I am still busting my butt.

There is a reason both sides agreed to include this language in the contract.

There is no way I would (could) have wasted 2-3 years of my life working as a PTer just to get the "opportunity" to become a driver. I had a young family and while my (ex) wife had a great job (RN) I still needed to do my part and working just 3.5 hours a day for peanuts just wasn't going to cut it.

You'd think differently about off the streets if you had been one of the people (including veterans) that DID bust their ass working inside, many for ten or more years, only to be passed over.