hitting a dog

ski or die

Ski or Die
I think I would have worded the grievance with instead of "harassment", I would have mentioned "libel and slander". Much more serious accusations against manager. And also brought up the fact of attempting to humiliate you in front of fellow employees. This should have been addressed behind closed doors. Management is not allowed to disrespect employees reputations in front of other employees. Proper procedure should have been to address this in the office with a steward present.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
They wont win, no one wins. I am not being led blindly, I am waiting patiently. I was emotional, still am but the tears dont flow anymore, yes they did, shoot me I am female, it is an involuntary reaction, for a while.

The reason I dont know much about discipline, etc, because in my 30+ yr career, working both pt, and ft, I have never had discipline. Until my brother passed away, and I couldnt get paid my funeral leave, I had never filed a grievance. The only accident I have been in that was not charged unavoidable, was breaking off the gas hose. I was under the naive assumption if I did what was asked of me, show up every day, come to work when asked when on vacation, go help people who were going to be out til 10pm, etc, that I would be an employee they liked, because I cared about my job, people and my company.

And I still do. I am not sure why suddenly I was thrown under the bus. But I am not just going to let it go. I am controlling it. The union is who I have to use first, what happens there will determine, what if anything else I have to do. I appreciate the support I have gotten, but I know its up to me to have it handled in a professional manner. And no one else can speak for me.

What I meant in my post was don't let the union handle everything. You need to be aggressive and in the company's face of these accusations. You are your first weapon. The union will back you but you have to lead this fight. Show them your teeth and they'll think again about messing with you.

They are throwing you under the bus because maybe they see your emotional response to what they do as a weakness they can exploit. Don't let being a girl be the excuse. This is where you have to have a distance and armor up.

I would actually speak to your attorney if you have one you use for other matters and such. It gives you options.

And as a 30 year employee, you know never to assume anything at ups or what they'll do for you etc.

Start being difficult. Make them prove this without a doubt or they need to drop it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes. I have been a wimp. I know my options. Already on it. Yes they know my weaknesses. Its not a secret i am an animal person. Should have accused me of something else. I probaly would have let it go. This weakness is my strength. This sent the quiet one over to someone they never knew. I will win. I have no doubt. I personally know i did not do it. They cannot prove it happened, because it did not. The rest is fodder.

Indecisi0n

If I was that upset over it which the only reason I wouldn't be is because I would expect UPS to be this way, I would just hire a lawyer. That's the only way to really get their attention.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I guess I do not understand your question. Is a letter discipline, if I never got it? I guess it is, if its in my file. And no I am not asking to see my file, my union is doing that.
Is discipline being treated badly for an accident I dont believe I had, I think it is. I have not seen the accident report, I want to know how, with all due respect he determined I hit the dog. The union is getting that info also.

I filed a grievance, called harassment, because at the very least, he should have told me, before he told the whole building, that I was being charged. And then after the pcm tell me, and do I have any questions?
Im not good at this, but I am getting better. I have never had to fight for my integrity. I fought this battle on here, and I feel I won. I really do not care what anyone else thinks but I appreciate all input.
If you think I rest easy about the dog being killed after seeing it dead, no I do not. If you think its over because I got no letter, it is not.
As an animal rescuer, an animal lover, and the proud mommy of many rescued dogs, as I said before, I would have wrecked a commercial vehicle before hitting an animal, child, car, ball, etc. That can be fixed an replaced.
Fixing how I was made to feel with no recourse, I was pushed to a state I never wanted to be.
And now you can post all your swiss chees pics whatever you want to do because it was just wrong period.
If this is the case, your harassment grievance just got a whole lot stronger.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
i did not care too much about personal achievements when i was younger

but now i do.
I put all my plaques and certificates as I received them in a couple of boxes.
I never hung them on the walls of my office or cube.
I still don't care but one day I might.

I did "undo" some of the wood with plastic glass plaques and reuse them in a junior tennis league I helped teach.
(Along with about a hundred smaller tennis trophies)
I did save the certificate/award that was under the glass.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I put all my plaques and certificates as I received them in a couple of boxes.
I never hung them on the walls of my office or cube.
I still don't care but one day I might.

I did "undo" some of the wood with plastic glass plaques and reuse them in a junior tennis league I helped teach.
(Along with about a hundred smaller tennis trophies)
I did save the certificate/award that was under the glass.
Shoe boxes?

Upslady20

Toonertoo as a fellow retired female driver I totally understand your issue with crying. I have only been retired a month so I have not forgotten the raw emotion they are able to inflict. I have cried several times in front of my management team or fellow employees not because I was being weak but because when I try and hold in my feelings I end up crying.. Which makes me mad at myself for showing them what they consider a weakness.
I was curious if your safety committee co-chair was involved in any of the discussions. They should have been involved and kept you informed of anything that was happening.
I wish you some type of closure so you can finish your time at UPS in peace and with your head held high. I personally did a lot of grin and bear it which kills them when you not react to their craziness.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Toonertoo as a fellow retired female driver I totally understand your issue with crying. I have only been retired a month so I have not forgotten the raw emotion they are able to inflict. I have cried several times in front of my management team or fellow employees not because I was being weak but because when I try and hold in my feelings I end up crying.. Which makes me mad at myself for showing them what they consider a weakness.
I was curious if your safety committee co-chair was involved in any of the discussions. They should have been involved and kept you informed of anything that was happening.
I wish you some type of closure so you can finish your time at UPS in peace and with your head held high. I personally did a lot of grin and bear it which kills them when you not react to their craziness.

When the safety committee was privy to my private information, and heard UPS side of the story, 2 of three told the manager, they would have never thought of doing what he said I should have done.
There is no reason to stop and deliver when you have it drilled into your head that if you have to back, you do it first, and coming back down the road and delivering out of the passenger side door is the safest option, instead of crossing the street. When you have to come back by anyway because you have to turn around, back first.

So his monday morning quarterbacking was questioned, for what thats worth, not much. That is what they told me, I have no way to verify if they said it or not, but I believe they did.

I will finish in peace, and with my pride. Thank you. :) I got that crying thing whipped.

ski or die

Ski or Die
I represented several female employees at meetings with management. It was a game for management to try and abuse them into tears. I would stop the meeting and take the employee out and calm her down and explain how not to show weakness. Then when we returned, as soon as management started to try that #$%^ again, I would return fire on them. Never had another problem with management trying to pull that crap on them when I was in the office with the employee. So then they would just try to get the employee alone. But our employees all became aware of this tactic and refused to allow them to confront them without a steward present. I wasn't management's favorite steward.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I represented several female employees at meetings with management. It was a game for management to try and abuse them into tears. I would stop the meeting and take the employee out and calm her down and explain how not to show weakness. Then when we returned, as soon as management started to try that #$%^ again, I would return fire on them. Never had another problem with management trying to pull that crap on them when I was in the office with the employee. So then they would just try to get the employee alone. But our employees all became aware of this tactic and refused to allow them to confront them without a steward present. I wasn't management's favorite steward.
There is no better tactic for a steward than a side bar caucus with the affected member.
Management hates it because it strips them of any perceived momentum they feel they have gained in the conversation to that point.
When we return to the room, I like to try and start again from the beginning.
With two routes hanging while this process plays itself out, management often tires and sends us on our way.

I really don't mind a good crier in most instances, and I've seen plenty, both male and female.
A good steward can use it to their advantage and "flip the script" in some cases.

10 point

Heck, I'd find me a dead cat and put it under the passenger side rear tire of the CMs personal vehicle and have someone wait for him to leave so they could repeatedly scream "You killed my cat!" at the top of their lungs until people come running out of the building.

Good for the goose....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Id rather put some nails under them because he wouldnt know how to change his tire, but i digress. I would rather do nothing and let him wonder
Whats next

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Heck, I'd find me a dead cat and put it under the passenger side rear tire of the CMs personal vehicle and have someone wait for him to leave so they could repeatedly scream "You killed my cat!" at the top of their lungs until people come running out of the building.

Good for the goose....
image.jpg