Honking the horn at every stop?

srvhero

"leastbest"
I only honk in resi's if i need a signature or have a C.O.D. We are suppose to driver release out of sight and out of weather for "safe DR's". Never mind your drawing attention to yourself while honking your ass all the way down the street. I sure would like a copy of the 340 methods, anybody know where I could get a copy? Following those exactly would probably turn my now ten hour days into eleven.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Had a sup go into a business with me once and yell out "UPS", people just looked at him and laughed. One guy even said, "OH, I thought y'all were FedEx". For the next two weeks, everyday when I went in, someone would yell. " UPSSSSSSSSSSSSS".

funny, but it got old too.

I remember my first year calling out ""UPS"" upon entering a business and the guys there replying to each other "ROOKIE COMIN THRU"! That ended it for me. I now challenge myself to learn as many first names as possible and THAT is what I call out. Another example of the constant PR work we drivers do that keep the wheels of business greased even when it goes against UPS wisdom. Customers want you to know how important they are, not the other way around.
Aa for the horn, yeah not so much. Only if the situation warrants it which is rarely. My diesel and screeechy brakes are usually load enough.

Leftinbuilding

I remember my first year calling out ""UPS"" upon entering a business and the guys there replying to each other "ROOKIE COMIN THRU"! That ended it for me. I now challenge myself to learn as many first names as possible and THAT is what I call out. Another example of the constant PR work we drivers do that keep the wheels of business greased even when it goes against UPS wisdom. Customers want you to know how important they are, not the other way around.
Aa for the horn, yeah not so much. Only if the situation warrants it which is rarely. My diesel and screeechy brakes are usually load enough.

Profound statement. That should be the UPS model.

Guy Smiley

Was hit in the rear while merging to get on an onramp for the highway. Was found at fault for NOT SOUNDING HORN to prevent person behind me from hitting me??Feel like the AFLAC DUCK in a Yogi Berra commercial.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Was hit in the rear while merging to get on an onramp for the highway. Was found at fault for NOT SOUNDING HORN to prevent person behind me from hitting me??Feel like the AFLAC DUCK in a Yogi Berra commercial.
Next they'll want you to hit the pause button, so's you can reposition all the vehicles involved before unpausing.:nonono:

bad company

semi-pro
Evidently my center just joined the Honking band wagon. Our PCM this morning had to be one of the funniest and biggest waste of times I have ever seen. Our center manager demonstrated the proper way to pull up to a stop, honk the horn (even included voice effects) to get attention, knock on the door (since some doorbells are broken), ring a bell, and place an info notice on a door so that the wind won't blow it away. I honestly felt like I was in elementary school watching a show and tell demonstration from the special ed kid... what a joke...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Evidently my center just joined the Honking band wagon. Our PCM this morning had to be one of the funniest and biggest waste of times I have ever seen. Our center manager demonstrated the proper way to pull up to a stop, honk the horn (even included voice effects) to get attention, knock on the door (since some doorbells are broken), ring a bell, and place an info notice on a door so that the wind won't blow it away. I honestly felt like I was in elementary school watching a show and tell demonstration from the special ed kid... what a joke...
You should have patted your center manager on the back and said, "don't worry boss, your job's not in jeopardy", and the snicker as you walk away. LOL

All Day

Sometimes I think they forget what we do for a living.

NHDRVR

I know they have told us to this over the last year or so, but it seems they are going all out this year to have us do this because its a "safety issue."

I was just wondering if all you guys follow this practice? And does it annoy any of your customers?

No, I stopped doing it when I realized that if people can't hear my diesel truck pull up in front of their house they aren't going to hear the horn when I tap it...Same goes for calling "UPS" up near the residence

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I do it to attract dogs before I get out, my diesel is quiet quiet. Im good at neaking up on the porch, knocking on the siding and gone. I yell ups if no one is around and Im not sure the pit bull on the back porch didnt hear me, the rest of the time, not so much. The less human contact the better, especially in certain areas.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It seems that the customers years ago would pretty much drop EVERYTHING to get a signature for a package, especially at businesses since they knew we are in a hurry. Now there have been times I have walked up to someone on a phone and put the diad down in front of them and handed them the stylus just to get a look of death then have to wait 2 minutes until they got off the phone to sign. We have been called "pushy" and in some incidences "rude" by some customers who feel as if their time is just as important as ups'. Dont even get me started about trying to obtain a signature for a wine delivery at 8pm.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It seems that the customers years ago would pretty much drop EVERYTHING to get a signature for a package, especially at businesses since they knew we are in a hurry. Now there have been times I have walked up to someone on a phone and put the diad down in front of them and handed them the stylus just to get a look of death then have to wait 2 minutes until they got off the phone to sign. We have been called "pushy" and in some incidences "rude" by some customers who feel as if their time is just as important as ups'. Dont even get me started about trying to obtain a signature for a wine delivery at 8pm.
LMAO on the wine delivery. BTDT. What a PITA!:knockedout:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Dont let them have it, it says do not deliver to drunk or intoxicated persons. I havent received my safety training on that yet, so You just assume, that they are drunk, since its 8pm, and you would be if you were not out delivering wine..................

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dont let them have it, it says do not deliver to drunk or intoxicated persons. I havent received my safety training on that yet, so You just assume, that they are drunk, since its 8pm, and you would be if you were not out delivering wine..................
Good point Toon. I know I would be especially if it was a fri night. LOL

Raw

Raw Member
It`s the 5th seeing habit. Learn it, live it, love it! When a customer ask`s you why are you being rude by honking, say you don`t mean to seem rude , then say it`s company policy and recite the 5th seeing habit and add that a supe may be spying on you. :sad-little:

All Day

It`s the 5th seeing habit. Learn it, live it, love it! When a customer ask`s you why are you being rude by honking, say you don`t mean to seem rude , then say it`s company policy and recite the 5th seeing habit and add that a supe may be spying on you. :sad-little:

So now we have to start reciting the seeing habits to out customers. Ya, I will do that right after I get their sales lead information.:peaceful: