How come? Department

I've just noticed over the past week like 4 people who now have the little black dot instead of the green or red dots for rep meaning they turned it off. Just a curiosity thing for me.

They`re like mood rings, changing color. Or in A.J.`s case mood pasties. ;)

Nimnim

The Nim
<---------------------- like this?

5c745924.gif
... with my screen resolution that arrow points at a distracting part of your avatar.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
How come pasties don't come with instructions on how to twirl the tassels like the eyes in Nimnim's thingy?

Tell ya what, you video yourself practicing and post it here and we will all let you know how your doing!!

I bet you pass with flying colors!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Might I suggest something.

I have been a member of many forums and chat sites over the years. Some are still bopping along, others, who at one time were the top of their type, have either disappeared, or are doing fund raisers to stay on the web. One in particular was huge in the late 90's, early 2000. Had close to 160,000 people as registered members, and 250-500 new posts a day. Today, they have may 5 new posts a week. and maybe one new thread a week. And the owner of the site has sent out 5 mass emailings to have contributions made to keep them on line. As we all know, as action on a website declines, so does the revenue it creates.

So what was the problem that caused these sites to decline? For most, it was over modification. For some of the others, it was no mods at all.

This is Cheryl site. This is her baby. What ever she want to do with it is up to her. And so far at least, her way has been successful.

But one of the things I have noticed on the other sites, even the ones that were over moderated, if the mods pm'ed the person as to why the post was removed, or parts of it deleted, usually the behavior that was targeted declined. But with no information passed on to the poster, problems began to occur. Posters instead of having a logical reason for their posts being deleted, claimed to be targeted for no good reason, or their view point being squashed in favor of someone elses.

A good example. IF your child is doing something wrong, you tell them no. You could slap them on the hands and tell them no as well. But what happens to the process when they are doing something we dont like, and all we do is slap their hand? No word out of your mouth to say no, just the slap on the hand.

Did the kid learn anything? Was the targeted behavior identified? OR does the child only come away with "dont be around dad, he likes to slap my hands for nothing"?

Anyway, that is my take. And while I enjoy posting and reading, this is still someone elses home.

d

I also noticed that the Mod has Modded other Mods. Does that make him the Moddest Mod?

Kind of along the lines of two wrongs don`t make a right or woodchucks chucking wood.

over9five

Staff member
The suckiest thing about modding is how the members blast you if you mod too much, and blast you if you mod too little.

How many times do you PM the same person that his behaviour is unacceptable? You know they know their posts were in violation of TOS, so you just delete the garbage. They know why it was deleted!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How many times do you PM the same person that his behaviour is unacceptable? You know they know their posts were in violation of TOS, so you just delete the garbage. They know why it was deleted!

That has always worked for me.
Often times my only hope is that the post stays up long enough for Tie to read it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I wonder if Michealangelo intodays world
instead of dabling in paints had dabled in the typed word
on a message board
similar to this one
he posts on a message board instead of the chapel
He types his thoughts
the church elders then tell him that his words scare the members of the site
so the elders tell him to paint the chapel in pale colors that do not offend
Pleasant pleasing colors that allow everyone to enjoy this site

meanwhile any effort by michael to return fire by
posting a response in kind
is squashed by the elders
while those same elders allow the flamers on that thread to flame away.

does michaelangelo post away or allow the
deranged delusions of a few overzealous elders to suppress his opinion
perhaps opinions of the posters are no longer important
but simply the application of pleasant, pleasing non offensive colors to the chapel.

Perhaps the elders should be the only posters on the site
posters those thoughts of theirs that they approve of
while the rest of us simply sit back
all stop participating
so that this site truly meets someones vision
of what is appropriate
while micheal walks away
leaving the chapel in pale colors
so as not to offend.

Now he fashions his rants parallel to Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel???
Apparently he doesn't realize the rest of the community sees it as back alley grafitti.

The suckiest thing about modding is how the members blast you if you mod too much, and blast you if you mod too little.

If it was truly a violation of TOS, fine. But having it be someones OPINION as a violation of TOS is something else. When a majority approve the message or its theme and no complaints were issued then leave well enough alone. If its one word, edit it or delete it. But whole posts or chunks of threads?
The latest statement of "Moved a bunch of off topic posts in this thread, and someone is going to start getting warnings for "thread derailment" if they keep it up." is false if one reads the entire thread and sees the "derailing" posts that remain. This says that despite the Mods claim of cleaning up the thread anyone can see it was done selectively and is biased if one knows the posts that were removed.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Ive had some posts removed or edited without any type of response. It would be nice to be given a reason. It can make you feel like a certain mod is overzealous towards you because he disagrees with your opinion.

iowa boy

If it was truly a violation of TOS, fine. But having it be someones OPINION as a violation of TOS is something else. When a majority approve the message or its theme and no complaints were issued then leave well enough alone. If its one word, edit it or delete it. But whole posts or chunks of threads?
The latest statement of "Moved a bunch of off topic posts in this thread, and someone is going to start getting warnings for "thread derailment" if they keep it up." is false if one reads the entire thread and sees the "derailing" posts that remain.

Im not trying to be a smart-aleck when I say this, but I didn't see any where in the terms of service that a "thread derailment" is considered a violation of the posted terms of this forum.

90% of the threads on this forum have gotten derailed in the 3 years that I have been a member here, and now all of a sudden its becoming an issue?

If there are gonna be warnings issued to members about 'thread derailment', then it should be posted in the terms of service on this website otherwise it looks like a power grab to some of us on here, myself included.

over9five

Staff member
Oh come on. No-one is giving warnings about thread derailments. Geez, we'd have to do every thread we have...
But the thread derailments are becoming nasty flames, and that IS a TOS violation.

iowa boy

Oh come on. No-one is giving warnings about thread derailments. Geez, we'd have to do every thread we have...
But the thread derailments are becoming nasty flames, and that IS a TOS violation.

Over,

This is a quote that Jones posted in another thread:
" and someone is going to start getting warnings for "thread derailment" if they keep it up."

Now, we all know who this was directed towards, but this is what I was referring to. If this is done to one person because he interjects something irrevelant into the thread, can this not happen to every other poster in every other thread on this forum?

If it a "flame" of another individual then I agree, a warning should be forwarded to the offending party, but to do it because there were off topic posts in the thread and no reported offenses within the posts, where does it stop?

What I'm saying is that is a precedent can be set with actions like that, and when setting precedent, it can be construed as a "power grab" if not done carefully by those involved.