how do you feel about random drug tests?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would not be opposed to something like this, maybe not daily but at least yearly. Even if that meant I might have to do it sometime in the future.

SpeedBoat

Retired Feeder Driver
I don't think the random testing is done random. One year I was tested 6 out of 7 months in a row. Then I told them I was going to call the DOT and ask about random testing. I did not get tested for 18 months.

raceanoncr

The way I feel HERE (it seems I always have to qualify this cuz most seem to think I'm making a blanket statement that covers the WORLD), is that nobody put a gun to my head to accept a job here.

I started here knowing what the rules were. At the time, there was no drug testing, for any, let alone feeders, where I have been for 28 of my 31 yrs. The DOT, not UPS, mandated the "random"(whether it truly is or not, I don't care), drug test. If I don't like it, I can simply leave. I don't have to work here. Sounds kinda simple to me.

The ONLY problem I have with random drug testing is this: HERE(notice, I said "HERE" again), is that they always seem to catch you at the first of your run. What's the problem? I always, no matter what run I'm on, days, afternoons, nights, sleep right up until it's time to get up and show and run to the hub. Needless to say, I've taken care of business, that is ALL business, before leaving home. Hub is only 8 mins away. Do I hafta pee again, NOW? Uh, I don't think so. "Well, now that we notified you, you cannot leave our site until you DO pee". You finish the rest of the scenario. Can you pee? If you inhale a bunch of water or coffee to force it, can you limit you normal stops to two or three the rest of your run, then?

Another beef. Again, I say HERE. Most of our out laying centers merely get to take paperwork to clinic and do after their run. Most other freight companies do the same. Why can't we? Again, not a major problem but where's the parity?

FAVREFAN

Current system seems to be o.k. Only feeder should be tested but should be no more than once per year. I do feel it is degrading and that maybe they should do it by hair sample instead. If you don't have any body hair.....well then you have to use the cup. That technology has been around for over a decade. In this day and age, it is ridiculus that they have to pee into a cup. ***. Just my 2 cents.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
The way I feel HERE (it seems I always have to qualify this cuz most seem to think I'm making a blanket statement that covers the WORLD), is that nobody put a gun to my head to accept a job here.

I started here knowing what the rules were. At the time, there was no drug testing, for any, let alone feeders, where I have been for 28 of my 31 yrs. The DOT, not UPS, mandated the "random"(whether it truly is or not, I don't care), drug test. If I don't like it, I can simply leave. I don't have to work here. Sounds kinda simple to me.

The ONLY problem I have with random drug testing is this: HERE(notice, I said "HERE" again), is that they always seem to catch you at the first of your run. What's the problem? I always, no matter what run I'm on, days, afternoons, nights, sleep right up until it's time to get up and show and run to the hub. Needless to say, I've taken care of business, that is ALL business, before leaving home. Hub is only 8 mins away. Do I hafta pee again, NOW? Uh, I don't think so. "Well, now that we notified you, you cannot leave our site until you DO pee". You finish the rest of the scenario. Can you pee? If you inhale a bunch of water or coffee to force it, can you limit you normal stops to two or three the rest of your run, then?

Another beef. Again, I say HERE. Most of our out laying centers merely get to take paperwork to clinic and do after their run. Most other freight companies do the same. Why can't we? Again, not a major problem but where's the parity?

Yeah, but it's not like that everywhere.

over9five

Staff member
I know a driver that loves random drug tests.

Once you are selected, you have a time limit in which to......urinate.

I think it's a couple hours? (not sure, too lazy to look it up). But anyhow, he'll sit there and hold it, getting paid ot, for the two hours and pee at the last minute.

Easiest ot you'll ever make.

some1else

Banned
ive seen that language as well; but i doubt i could hold it for 2 hours in the morning with as much coffee as i drink.
//
the thread says "how do you feel about random drug test" not if its legal or not. as stated before i feel its disrespectful regardless of whether its necessary. ive never used any illegal drugs; but i still find it offensive

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
should probably change that language then so they are not violating my contract in doing so.

why not add we will treat you with respect unless we feel like watching you piss

or something along those lines lol. i know its allowed; legally and contractually my point was that they are treating us like some junkie hooker on probation and i personally find it disrespectful.
LOL, good one, some1else.

you might have personal things in the trunk of your car....what personal belongings are in your piss that you care that much about?

i think the whole invasion of privacy argument is stupid...it would be different if they made you piss in front of your center manager in his office and he had to hold your [-]dick[/-] "pistol" (or in your case, PISTOLA) :wink2:to make sure it was real

you piss in a cup in a private room and they check and see if you have done any illegal drugs lately

ups and any other company has the right to know that there employees are drug free so you wont show up high some day and do thousands of dollars of damage while on drugs
Do you think that the guy that backed all the way down the street, should be drug tested?:wink2:

I think it's hypercritical sitting at your computer, drinking alcohol, smoking a cigarette, popping a zanax after eating a greasy fast food meal and a chocloate shake, and then, criticise a pot smoker. Besides the ridiculous amount of money the US spends on "The War on Drugs" (that's as useless as tits on a bull), as a stock holder with UPS, I detest funding another penny to any unwarranted additional random drug testing on non-CLD Class-A employees. Take note, Jones and Tex make strong arguments about Gov't and now Corperate slowly eroding our civil liberties,
Man, this is gonna be a great cruise!

I would not be opposed to something like this, maybe not daily but at least yearly. Even if that meant I might have to do it sometime in the future.
Every 6 months?

Braveheart

I agree with the 100% before hired. Weed them out before hand.

I think as long as there is reasonable cause have at it.

The problem is that they can drug test you for any reason. I have witnessed it myself. I think they just do not like a person and go on a hunch and hope they get lucky.

They got rid of one. Lost the other two. One manager got so burned by one of the ones he got wrong they drove him to quit.

There was no going away party, I wonder why?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I cant say I care, if I was tested I wouldnt worry, but it would kinda peeve me. Im lucky I have time to drink. I know I dont have time to get high, It would take precious time I dont have, I vaguely remember..........................

satellitedriver

I pee for free, several times a day.
If UPS wants to pay me OT, to do it, I do it.
As far as the constitutional rights and the invasion of privacy argument, I agree.
Sad fact, all these legal questions were addressed several decades ago and have changed (by attrition) the general concept of personal responsibility versus governmental control.
I am old school, or as some would say an "old fart".
If you are riding dirty, you need your ass busted.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Only thing you will find in my pee is more pee. No one should be imparied on the job but what you do on your own time should not be anyone business but your own. Just my feelings

over9five

Staff member
I think it should be the same as alcohol. Don't come to work drunk OR stoned. Don't drink OR smoke within X hours of coming to work.

So many millions of taxpayer dollars WASTED in a "war on drugs" when we could be raking IN millions making it legal and taxing it. JUST LIKE ALCOHOL!

I agree but what if what you do on your own time carries over to your work time?
Not arguing here, just asking a question I have no idea what the answer may be. Does the ...hmmm..residual traces ...(I guess that would be an applicable term) that shows up in a drug test impair a person while working? I've read that the evidence of pot use on the weekend could show up on a test given several days later, is this a danger to ourselves and the general public?
Honestly I don't know the answers to these questions.

UPSNewbie

Not arguing here, just asking a question I have no idea what the answer may be. Does the ...hmmm..residual traces ...(I guess that would be an applicable term) that shows up in a drug test impair a person while working? I've read that the evidence of pot use on the weekend could show up on a test given several days later, is this a danger to ourselves and the general public?
Honestly I don't know the answers to these questions.

Pot can be detected up to two weeks since the last smoke in some people.