How long does it generally take to get paid for grievances?

undies

Assuming you have filed a grievance that will get you a monetary solution, you should have already spoken with a shop steward or business agent. Talk to them and get some answers. If you have yet to file...typically the company has 10 days to pay and after that penalties can add up the longer they take, may be different depending on your local.

542thruNthru

Assuming you have filed a grievance that will get you a monetary solution, you should have already spoken with a shop steward or business agent. Talk to them and get some answers. If you have yet to file...typically the company has 10 days to pay and after that penalties can add up the longer they take, may be different depending on your local.

This is only after the grievance has been settled.

Its_a_me

I had one take 10 months from the day I filed it until I got a check for it. With a hearing occurring 9 and 1/2 months later.

A baby would have taken less time.

Thebrownblob

I had one take 10 months from the day I filed it until I got a check for it. With a hearing occurring 9 and 1/2 months later.

A baby would have taken less time.
With no frame of reference, and not knowing what your grievance was about that’s not hard to believe. It’s always best if the Steward and management can settle the grievance before hearings. After that you’re at the mercy of grievance hearing schedules. And depending on what your grievances is , both sides, get one postponement. And then, if it doesn’t get settled, it would go to a panel.

Its_a_me

If it didn't go through the panel system or arbitration.... why did it take so long ?
...because our local union is absentee from the building (which explains 3 PT supervisors working reload including scanning and loading the air car just last night while the other two were floating loading trailers and splitting the belt), 4 PT preload sups loading 8 package cars in the AM (from what I am told by multiple drivers), and dispatches that regularly changes over 50% of a route which places low seniority drivers on layoff. Simply put: the BA visits maybe twice a year. I haven't seen a union member walking around on our sort for over 2 years.

2 drivers filed for 9.5 violations after it happened 20 times this year...they are too scared of retaliation and being stuck out with late pickups keeping them out past 8pm (while having to drop air). 3 drivers this month have been coming back to the building after the reload sort has finished 8:30pm. They did it last to a 20 year vet the day before his single vacation day on Friday and he said screw you and took the OT, then stopped and took a break the parking lot of the business next to the center. But they make sure to do it to him twice a week as a message.

It's been that way for years. The driver steward has the nickname ET because all he wants to do is go home. He's the 3rd driver in after the 30 yr vet with the cake route, then the runner/gunner. I can count the number of grievances he's filed in 2023 on one hand. The younger drivers (some with 15 years hate him).

With no grievances the union waits until there is multiple which take months to get.

Thebrownblob

...because our local union is absentee from the building (which explains 3 PT supervisors working reload including scanning and loading the air car just last night while the other two were floating loading trailers and splitting the belt), 4 PT preload sups loading 8 package cars in the AM (from what I am told by multiple drivers), and dispatches that regularly changes over 50% of a route which places low seniority drivers on layoff. Simply put: the BA visits maybe twice a year. I haven't seen a union member walking around on our sort for over 2 years.

2 drivers filed for 9.5 violations after it happened 20 times this year...they are too scared of retaliation and being stuck out with late pickups keeping them out past 8pm (while having to drop air). 3 drivers this month have been coming back to the building after the reload sort has finished 8:30pm. They did it last to a 20 year vet the day before his single vacation day on Friday and he said screw you and took the OT, then stopped and took a break the parking lot of the business next to the center. But they make sure to do it to him twice a week as a message.

It's been that way for years. The driver steward has the nickname ET because all he wants to do is go home. He's the 3rd driver in after the 30 yr vet with the cake route, then the runner/gunner. I can count the number of grievances he's filed in 2023 on one hand. The younger drivers (some with 15 years hate him).

With no grievances the union waits until there is multiple which take months to get.
LOL ET go home, sounds like you need to put some new blood in that union hall if all of this is true.

ManInBrown

It’s all local by local. When I was in package and filed 9.5, I would get a check no later than two weeks after I filed. I’ve heard drivers on here say 6 months-1 year. Seems to be totally dependent on your local.

542thruNthru

It’s all local by local. When I was in package and filed 9.5, I would get a check no later than two weeks after I filed. I’ve heard drivers on here say 6 months-1 year. Seems to be totally dependent on your local.
I would say depends on your area also. Everyone always likes to put it on the local. UPS from what I've heard has cut the number of labor managers. So you could have 1 labor manager for 3 or 4 locals over a two state area. Setting up meetings would be difficult.

9.5mania

What everyone is saying is true. If there is a disagreement between stewards and center managers, waiting on a local with a busy labor manager takes months, especially if there are terminations in the area which takes precedence.

Here is the simple truth, if you and your stewards have a good, working relationship with the center manager, it usually takes a week or two. Other buildings in my area had a hard time getting 9.5’s settled before TA was reached. My manager was settling grievances and getting checks out every 3 days. If your manager is a prick, it takes forever.