How many here are in "Bonus" Centers?

Dustyroads

I make about as much bonus as I get in actual overtime, but I really don't care much about the bonus money. I was here working long before they came up with the whole idea of bonus, and I seemed to get along just fine.

But, I have this buddy, who is on one of those routes that is almost impossible to make any bonus, I don't care who you are. He busts his *** and looks like a goat. The guy right next to him gets a couple hours of bonus every day. Here's the apparent injustice, the poor guy who can't make bonus, he's averaging 22.5 stops and hour, and the guy who is dragging in two hours of bonus, he's only delivering 21 stops an hours.

If UPS wants to flush this money down the toilet, more power to them, as long as my paycheck doesn't bounce...

brownrod

again people ive bid on and been on many routes , for me,, i have never been on a route that i could not pull bonus on, i dont understand how people dont run bonus,, sorry to say that ,

Not every time study is in the drivers favor. In our center it is extremely difficult to bonus. I've annihilated routes in my past, broke every rule in the book, ran my ass off, skipped lunch and breaks and still been an hour over.

The first time I made bonus was when I realized how wrong the whole system is and stopped running like that.

One day I had plans and needed to get done early. I broke every rule in the book. Left the truck idling, worked my lunch, no breaks, bulkhead door open, sprinting from the truck and back, throwing packages, early pickups, deliver business when I picked them up. I made about 15 minutes bonus. The supervisors gave me recognition for a job well done. I lost a lot of respect for UPS that day. Stopped running and breaking the rules. I was about 5-6 SPORH over the normally accepted SPORH for that route (You know - the SPORH where you actually use the methods).

Since then I've learned 2 routes where you can legitimately bonus on while following the rules. But there is barely any bonus involved. It's mainly high mileage and getting lucky with easy pickups who ship hundreds of smalls.

Bonus is a farce where I am at.

I would love it if they gave us new time studies and fixed some of the more poorly designed traces.

Re-Raise

At our center the guys making big bonus are doing it with miles. I think they figure your to and from miles and then figure any additional miles as in town.

For example, our biggest bonus driver skips all the deliveries on his way into town on the pretense he has to get his business and air off first.

He then makes a big loop around the town before he makes his pick ups.
This loop adds about 40 miles to his route. His time study probably figures those miles as in town at 30 miles per hour when in fact he is back on the highway at 60 miles an hour.

It takes him 40 minutes but his allowance goes up 1 hr and 20 minutes gaining him 40 minutes in bonus.

whiskey

At our center the guys making big bonus are doing it with miles. I think they figure your to and from miles and then figure any additional miles as in town.

For example, our biggest bonus driver skips all the deliveries on his way into town on the pretense he has to get his business and air off first.

This loop adds about 40 miles to his route. His time study probably figures those miles as in town at 30 miles per hour when in fact he is back on the highway at 60 miles an hour.

It takes him 40 minutes but his allowance goes up 1 hr and 20 minutes gaining him 40 minutes in bonus.
All thought all the new technology was to help put an end to this type of behavior. They know when you've backed 42 times and the locations but they don't know about excessive miles? Doesn't make sense to me. Somebody is dropping the ball. My soup knows how long it takes me to go to the head.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

10: 30 air commit times and leaving at 9 instead of 8:15 like the good ole days are a boon to bonus drivers. You have no choice but to drive all over just trying to make service. The process then repeats itself in the PM because you are too far behind and have to run around trying to get businesses off. Then after your pickups run thru the area again cleaning up residentials. But the company outsmarted the 9.5er's by starting us later. Nice move.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Been hitting 'em for about half an hour a day of bonus since peak started.
I attribute it to my helper running and me pulling 5 to 10 stops up in tne cab with us in residential neighborhoods.
I guess my boy 88 is still mad?
Haven't heard from him in a couple days.
I think he suffers from terminal self righteousness,.

Upsdriver88

Been hitting 'em for about half an hour a day of bonus since peak started.
I attribute it to my helper running and me pulling 5 to 10 stops up in tne cab with us in residential neighborhoods.
I guess my boy 88 is still mad?
Haven't heard from him in a couple days.
I think he suffers from terminal self righteousness,.

LOL, what's make you think I was mad? Terminal self righteousness huh, what is that ? I run what's on the car and cash the checks, it's all good. I had over a 12 1/2 planned day Tuesday and ran it in 9.48 so I was a little tired when I got home. I have a good time study and I cheat everyway possible, does that make you feel better? I'll tell you what, when I get a little more time, I'll detail every way I know how to run scratch or better in a new thread. So you can feel free to tear it apart too. It should be fun. :peaceful:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
LOL, what's make you think I was mad? Terminal self righteousness huh, what is that ? I run what's on the car and cash the checks, it's all good. I had over a 12 1/2 planned day Tuesday and ran it in 9.48 so I was a little tired when I got home. I have a good time study and I cheat everyway possible, does that make you feel better? I'll tell you what, when I get a little more time, I'll detail every way I know how to run scratch or better in a new thread. So you can feel free to tear it apart too. It should be fun. :peaceful:

I thought you were mad from your last post, glad you're not.
You're not are you?
Terminal self righteousness is a term I stole from the old TV show M*A*S*H.
Hawkeye referred to Frank Burns as suffering from that affliction.
Thought it was funny at the time so it stuck with me.
Most of my material is plagiarized.
3 hrs of bonus??
That's a great time study.
How can you???.....never mind.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was thinking about it all day and don't think I will never mind after all.
To pull down 3 hrs. of bonus, you would have to shave a minute on average off of the allowance for 180 individual stops or pickups.
You don't have a good time study, you have an unreal time study.
You have remarked in previous posts about the great relationship you have with management as a steward for your local.
If it were me I would worry about the appearance of favoritism and impropriety whether it be inflated allowances or management turning a blind eye to preexisting allowances from the previous bid holder in effort to garner your favor on union issues.
I'm not saying that this is the case, but I'm hard pressed to understand how anybody can beat a modern day time study by three hours at today's UPS.
Am I alone in seeing this???

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I was thinking about it all day and don't think I will never mind after all.
To pull down 3 hrs. of bonus, you would have to shave a minute on average off of the allowance for 180 individual stops or pickups.
You don't have a good time study, you have an unreal time study.
You have remarked in previous posts about the great relationship you have with management as a steward for your local.
If it were me I would worry about the appearance of favoritism and impropriety whether it be inflated allowances or management turning a blind eye to preexisting allowances from the previous bid holder in effort to garner your favor on union issues.
I'm not saying that this is the case, but I'm hard pressed to understand how anybody can beat a modern day time study by three hours at today's UPS.
Am I alone in seeing this???
No. UPS isn't giving any money away. Anyone beating a route by 2-3+ hours is cheating and stealing. Some will get caught, some won't. It really depends on the center team and how much they care about it.

Re-Raise

You guys that claim to run 12 hour dispatches in 9 hours I have a question. Did this route always have that heavy planned day or has management increased the load because you consistently run way under?

I am sure if we had routes with 12 hr planned days it would show up on one of their reports and it would stop regardless of what time you were able to get done.

brown bomber

brown bomber

brown bomber

brown bomber
please explain to me my "good union Brother", how you're able to attain these numbers.......obviously you don't have telematics...or your MGT team...chooses to allow you to break the rules, in order to improve the overall CENTER numbers.......something ain't right.....different rules for different parts of the country......can someone explain this to me ??

yeldarb

We have had telematics for 2 years. It is all being followed. We are on virtual GPS time studies. When they implemented that, 75% of drivers gained time.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We have had telematics for 2 years. It is all being followed. We are on virtual GPS time studies. When they implemented that, 75% of drivers gained time.

Answer his question please.
How do you beat these time studies by 3 hrs without cheating either by the driver or the management team?

yeldarb

By myself, I do 25 stops an hour. With a helper, I do 45. My route is about as tight as they come. Today, 8 hours with a helper, 340 stops, 488 pieces, 91 miles. 21 pickups, (most are on route) 150 pieces. That will be about a 2 hour bonus.