How prepared is your center for peak?

trouble maker

Our center manager said they want to train 12 more drivers for peak!!!! LoL. Yeah, a little nasty weather. Rollin' a load here rollin' a load there. New drivers thrown into the fire. We do have a plan though. It's called the evacuation plan, posted right outside the office door.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Make sure the loaders get fed so they will show up everyday.

A tent!!!!!!!
Who cares if the loaders get fed if they've frozen to death and have no thumbs from frostbite. That's bullsht if they make the loaders work out of a tent in the middle of winter but then again, that is something I see UPS doing.

I hear cardboard and Pullman brown paint warms up real nice when it's cold out and they are on fire!

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Our center manager said they want to train 12 more drivers for peak!!!! LoL. Yeah, a little nasty weather. Rollin' a load here rollin' a load there. New drivers thrown into the fire. We do have a plan though. It's called the evacuation plan, posted right outside the office door.
Whos they and what's training a video to watch or go out and show them the basics then switch them to a different area. I think 12 people to train is optimistic especially so close to peak. I see dead dog tired people.

10 point

A tent!!!!!!!
Who cares if the loaders get fed if they've frozen to death and have no thumbs from frostbite. That's bullsht if they make the loaders work out of a tent in the middle of winter but then again, that is something I see UPS doing.

I hear cardboard and Pullman brown paint warms up real nice when it's cold out and they are on fire!
Let's put the OMS and CMs desk and phone out there too. Brilliant.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I neither know nor care how prepared my old center is.

I do know they've been unsuccesfully trying to train new drivers all summer. Just about every PC I see in town has a new face behind the wheel.

I will think of them as I'm having my second cup of coffee in the morning.;)

Not at all. Several times in the past few weeks we've needed to add routes and couldn't because we didn't have bodies and even if we did have the bodies, we don't have package cars for those bodies. After the catastrophe that was last peak, I expected (stupidly) some changes for this year. If peak goes as bad or worse than it did year, that may be the catalyst for the beginning of the end. The lack of preparation, foresight, and leadership is embarrassing.

upsbeernut

Not at all. Several times in the past few weeks we've needed to add routes and couldn't because we didn't have bodies and even if we did have the bodies, we don't have package cars for those bodies. After the catastrophe that was last peak, I expected (stupidly) some changes for this year. If peak goes as bad or worse than it did year, that may be the catalyst for the beginning of the end. The lack of preparation, foresight, and leadership is embarrassing.
The five p's prior planning prevents poor performance. Ive heard that excuse , no bodies to fill routes and the lack of trucks. Right now , not sure where they are gonna put those extra routes. If I come in around 8 pm. parking is a nightmare and the truck lineup has no real sense with routes that butt up to each other 6 cars away. I have an STD from it . Screw the driver!

The five p's prior planning prevents poor performance. Ive heard that excuse , no bodies to fill routes and the lack of trucks. Right now , not sure where they are gonna put those extra routes. If I come in around 8 pm. parking is a nightmare and the truck lineup has no real sense with routes that butt up to each other 6 cars away. I have an STD from it . Screw the driver!
It's not an excuse, it's reality. With the advent of Orion, UPS "eliminated" several routes in the middle of loops that easily could be reinstated if we had the personnel to do so. We also had several package cars scrapped that were never replaced.

upsbeernut

It's not an excuse, it's reality. With the advent of Orion, UPS "eliminated" several routes in the middle of loops that easily could be reinstated if we had the personnel to do so. We also had several package cars scrapped that were never replaced.
Great planning and the elimination of routes brings me to say a 27 year driver got fired and his route vanished with upsbeernut inheriting his 16 pickups and busy delivery area. As far as package cars, automotive can't keep up with the constant breakdown of red tagged vehicles. Ups got bigger without the right amount of quality resources.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Our center is breaking ground on a 20 car expansion that is supposed to be completed by December. Oh, and a dozen new TCDs and seasonal drivers are going to be trained between now and peak.

Somehow...

AKCoverMan

In our center (about forty routes out of main center with a satellite building that normally sees 7-8 routes) we have seen a summer/fall hiring spree with more new FT drivers that I can name.

However we don't have that many spare PCs so unless new vehicles start showing up we will need lots of rentals.

Also I hear we will have several more peak routes from the satellite building but there is no more room in it so apparently some will get to load outside in winter conditions. I hope to avoid that.