How prepared is your center for peak?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
maybe in your local..I dont think here. I think it went up to 8.50 here...not totally sure though.
I always throw my jumper some extra bones. If I get money from my customers, which is usually a lot, I throw my jumper the lower bone for example, If I get like 20 or 25 bux ill throw the jumper the 5 dollar bill or if I get 30 ill throw them a 10 spot. All bout the mind game and keeping the jumper motivated. A game you have to play to keep them motivated and keep their mind in the game.

10 point

I did this one year with a helper. We used the loading dock at our local college as his staging area. I dumped 40-50 residential stops there which he then delivered. I would then dump more stops for him to run off. It worked out really well and I gave him $20/week for gas.
Not too bright.

10 point

I wouldnt do It. why would a helper want to beat up his personal car? For 20 bucks a week,gas money.
Your insurance company could walk away from liability if you had an accident in your personal vehicle unless you had a commercial policy.

And if the company got fined for a DOT violation while you're in your PV well, you fill in the blanks.

It's all good ... until it's not.

Last edited:

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Had my "peak cherry" popped last year. My helper "could work a DIAD". Great, I thought. Except he would come back from a stop frantically pushing buttons and going "friend*! friend*! friend*!" So I would have to show him how to complete a stop, all the while learning how to use a DIAD IV myself.

We mysteriously ran out of helper DIADs after that...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I can only work 12 hours in a day, and the more you jam me up, the slower things come off. That's all we have to worry about.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Even if a driver tries to slow it down for a helper most helpers will still think they are being worked too hard.
Agreed....most are not used to this work. One driver I know had a great helper last peak...and the guy really wanted a perm preload position. So, the driver recommended him...and the kid was hired in my center and quit a month later.