How to get rid of a crappy business agent

Inthegame

So in the TDU local 396 thread it's not okay to pit members vs members, but in this case it is? :happy-very:
Running for an elective office in your union doesn't necessitate pitting member against member. It can and should be idea versus idea. If you're running against an incumbent it'll be vision against record. But let me take you on a stroll down memory lane... many years ago I had the worst BA in the history of organized labor (or so I thought). At meetings we would tell this guy (lets call him Pete) he was terrible and he should retire. Finally Pete did retire and was replaced by a guy (Joe) I knew and supported when he was our steward. After a while some of the newer employees started complaining about how lousy an agent Joe was and he should retire. A group of guys formed a slate, ran for office and won. Joe stayed on for a while but eventually retired and was replaced by Sam. Hallelujah, all our problems were over cause Sam was one of "us". After a while some of the newer employees who didn't remember Pete, and hardly knew Joe, started complaining about how lousy Sam was, and they wished Sam would retire. Hmmm...see the pattern here.
I told this story to one of those complaining guys and finished by explaining the difference between each BA and the hourly employees they represent. In this case each BA did the job of the folks they represent, none of the people complaining ever did the BA's job. Maybe, just maybe, the job is a little tougher than most employees understand.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Running for an elective office in your union doesn't necessitate pitting member against member. It can and should be idea versus idea. If you're running against an incumbent it'll be vision against record. But let me take you on a stroll down memory lane... many years ago I had the worst BA in the history of organized labor (or so I thought). At meetings we would tell this guy (lets call him Pete) he was terrible and he should retire. Finally Pete did retire and was replaced by a guy (Joe) I knew and supported when he was our steward. After a while some of the newer employees started complaining about how lousy an agent Joe was and he should retire. A group of guys formed a slate, ran for office and won. Joe stayed on for a while but eventually retired and was replaced by Sam. Hallelujah, all our problems were over cause Sam was one of "us". After a while some of the newer employees who didn't remember Pete, and hardly knew Joe, started complaining about how lousy Sam was, and they wished Sam would retire. Hmmm...see the pattern here.
I told this story to one of those complaining guys and finished by explaining the difference between each BA and the hourly employees they represent. In this case each BA did the job of the folks they represent, none of the people complaining ever did the BA's job. Maybe, just maybe, the job is a little tougher than most employees understand.

That really doesn't have much to do with what I was talking about, but yes there is some truth to what you are saying. ;)

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
In this case each BA did the job of the folks they represent, none of the people complaining ever did the BA's job. Maybe, just maybe, the job is a little tougher than most employees understand.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Challenge the people that continually complain.... to step up to the plate....

Put their money where their mouth is....

See what happens.... :wink2:

-Bug-

menotyou

bella amicizia
Maybe, just maybe, we see our BA's in the newspaper or in the local news picketing at another local's picket; yet, as members of his own local, we can't get a returned call on standing grievances or safety violations.

Just maybe.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We can't get a returned call on standing grievances or safety violations.

I didn't think it would take long for you to chime in....

Is it we or me....

What was the response when you brought it up on the floor at your last Local Monthly Meeting....??

-Bug-

menotyou

bella amicizia
I didn't think it would take long for you to chime in....

Is it we or me....

What was the response when you brought it up on the floor at your last Local Monthly Meeting....??

-Bug-
We. Just stop up and see yourself. Excuses are what are the responses are. Most have given up.

Considering my anger has waned, That's an easy one for ya. Time has that effect. That, and the fact I have to go back under the knife to try and get back to work. I could've very easily taken the settlement that had yet to be decided. Even the comp quack was up there in his rating(equals lots of money), but this surgery is a chance to get back to my truck. Free money vs surgery. I chose surgery. How many can say the same. And, you want to try and attempt to mock me? I am a dream member. Believe that.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Nothing wrong with you taking that advice. January 10, I will be taking every opportunity allowed to me to get back to my truck. How many can say that? Not my fault the first spinal cord/disc eliminating surgery didn't fuse. Not my fault the quack UPS uses didn't see it, nor did my own dr. Had to get a second opinion. Wasted 14 months. Has the union called once to see how I am? The company(center manager, Health and Safety Manager out of Albany) call 2x a month, at least.
I am doing all I can to work get back to work. Isn't that what a good employee and union member does? Ya know, work?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Has the union called once to see how I am?

Hmmm....

So if I would have called to see how you are doing....

You wouldn't be here bashing everyone ....?? Union.... Company....??

My guess is that you are a short term employee....

Hidden away making mac n' cheese....

-Bug-

menotyou

bella amicizia
We are the ones sweating our whats-ese off in the summer, freezing in the winter so you can collect our dues and NOT return our calls?? I don't know who the hell you think you are talking to, bUg, but you picked the wrong little girls sandbox to jump into. You sit comfy in that chair getting fat off of our sweat and have the audacity to mock us?? It is a. Dry good thing I don't know who you are. It would be my personal mission to make sure you would be removed from office one way or another. Be very sure of that. Just PM me your local #. I dare you. You would be surprised how many friends I have out there.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We are the ones sweating our whats-ese off in the summer, freezing in the winter so you can collect our dues and NOT return our calls?? I don't know who the hell you think you are talking to, bUg, but you picked the wrong little girls sandbox to jump into. You sit comfy in that chair getting fat off of our sweat and have the audacity to mock us?? It is a. Dry good thing I don't know who you are. It would be my personal mission to make sure you would be removed from office one way or another. Be very sure of that. Just PM me your local #. I dare you. You would be surprised how many friends I have out there.
Hittin' the links w/ UPS management is probably where you find BUG ;)

:holein1::holein1:

Inthegame

Maybe, just maybe, we see our BA's in the newspaper or in the local news picketing at another local's picket; yet, as members of his own local, we can't get a returned call on standing grievances or safety violations.

Just maybe.
Me, I don't know what the whole story is with your relationship with what sounds like a less than responsive agent but assisting other locals is part of that agents job. Of course they have their own locals business to do first and you should be raising holy hell with your PO if your agent hasn't returned your calls. The point of my last post to sleeve is the BA's job is not what most people think. The BA's in my local are on duty 24-7. Our PO requires our BA's to be available for weekend events, mtgs, protests, whatever is necessary. If an agent doesn't return calls, the PO does and the agent better have a damn good reason for not doing so. An entire week at a time of vacation is nearly impossible for our guys. And the old TDU maxim of "no agent should be higher paid than the highest paid employee they represent" would cost our local MORE money if followed as many hourlies are higher paid than our agents. Unfortunately our own members continue to support politicians who weaken unions, and then the BA gets blamed for the results. How often do you think a BA gets a call telling them they're doing a good job?
You called out BUG and said you'd work to see him out of office (if he's even in). If you're that motivated to be able to change directions in another local, you should easily be able to change your own. You give some good advice to many people, you're one of my favorite posters, but please don't fall for the BS spread by union haters on these threads. NO UPS'er from ANY local ANYWHERE would be better off non-union. If my local threw every dollar collected from dues down the drain, our members would still be better off being in the union and under a CBA! Remember no local is perfect and the perception that nothing gets done because of lazy agents is the easy fall back but the reality is UPS blocks as much as they can for as long as they can every time that they can. Our language needs teeth. UPS labor knows justice delayed irritates the hell out of our members and they play it to perfection. As far as UPS calling you, I hope it was for genuine reasons but I suspect those calls will stop if you retire and are no longer a financial liability.

Sleeve your comment about thugs is silly, as is the crack about golf. You believe too much TDU BS.

And finally Me, I really hope your surgery is successful. I've already put you on my prayer list.

preload1

They are politicians. You have to vote the bastards out of office. When I was a part timer in the Philly area in 1979, at a pre-election Q&A with the slate running for re-election, I questioned the BA about why our dues were raised everytime these guys came to speak to us about why we should vote for them. The BA berated me in front of everyone and after the election our dues went up. I went into management and am now retired after 32 years and my dues never go up anymore.

Inthegame

They are politicians. You have to vote the bastards out of office. When I was a part timer in the Philly area in 1979, at a pre-election Q&A with the slate running for re-election, I questioned the BA about why our dues were raised everytime these guys came to speak to us about why we should vote for them. The BA berated me in front of everyone and after the election our dues went up. I went into management and am now retired after 32 years and my dues never go up anymore.
Who are you to call people you don't know bastards? Your ignorance is evident as your post makes no sense. You equate dues going up with an election? Dues rates are based on wage rates ...when wages go up, dues go up. Local officers do not control the International's dues structure. What you call berating most likely was your agent explaining these facts to you. You of course were crushed by being exposed for this basic lack of understanding. Lucky for you UPS was hiring just about anyone in management in those days. Here's a hint my friend, our union retirees dues don't go up anymore either. And now I'm rooting for the Bears tonight!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve your comment about thugs is silly, as is the crack about golf. You believe too much TDU BS.
Okay, that is your opinion. I respect your view.

I am awaiting the day our state goes right-to-work, though. You know the first thing I'dl be doing as a statement to our union? Take a guess.

Inthegame

Okay, that is your opinion. I respect your view.

I am awaiting the day our state goes right-to-work, though. You know the first thing I'dl be doing as a statement to our union? Take a guess.
I think I addressed that with an earlier statement of supporting politicians who seek to destroy unions. I imagine you'll become a freeloader, not paying for the work done on your behalf. Mindlessly thinking the benefits you've lived under were somehow given to you through the generosity of your benevolent employer. How about this Sleeve, petition your state legislators and all the wonderful, brilliant congressfolks that love hating unions to allow all citizens to have right to pay taxes laws. So then I won't have to pay for corporate wars that kill innocent kids. These same hypocrites that want you to vote for them, telling you they'll stop abortions, seem to have no problem blowing away lives in foreign countries. You'll go along with that right Sleeve? Why have forced taxation? Or how about a right to drive law where insurance companies have to pay claims but no one has to pay premiums. That sound good too?

You are aware your wages/benefits have been negotiated and that costs money. Union dues are insignificant compared to the disparity in wages/bennys/language protections that you now enjoy that non-union employees do not. The more right to starve states only weaken that for future generations. But you got yours and who cares about them. You won't be making any statement to your union. You'll be squandering our childrens future.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I think I addressed that with an earlier statement of supporting politicians who seek to destroy unions. I imagine you'll become a freeloader, not paying for the work done on your behalf. Mindlessly thinking the benefits you've lived under were somehow given to you through the generosity of your benevolent employer. How about this Sleeve, petition your state legislators and all the wonderful, brilliant congressfolks that love hating unions to allow all citizens to have right to pay taxes laws. So then I won't have to pay for corporate wars that kill innocent kids. These same hypocrites that want you to vote for them, telling you they'll stop abortions, seem to have no problem blowing away lives in foreign countries. You'll go along with that right Sleeve? Why have forced taxation? Or how about a right to drive law where insurance companies have to pay claims but no one has to pay premiums. That sound good too?

You are aware your wages/benefits have been negotiated and that costs money. Union dues are insignificant compared to the disparity in wages/bennys/language protections that you now enjoy that non-union employees do not. The more right to starve states only weaken that for future generations. But you got yours and who cares about them. You won't be making any statement to your union. You'll be squandering our childrens future.
I am not against unionism, just this particular one. RTW is simply a way for unions to guarantee that they get their dues without having the duty to represent. If RTW were nationwide, the Teamsters bottom-up would actually have to do their jobs and do them well to retain membership. Unionism through force rather than choice is disturbing when the very union you are forced to join is corrupt instead of benevolent.