How's the view???........

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
images-52.jpeg

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Thats a good question and I really dont know the answer.

Bear in mind, this happened before cell phones or DIAD communication with the center. Back then you were kind of on your own when it came to making decisions. What I did know at the time was that I didnt want to spend the night out there and I didnt know how far I would have to walk to find a working phone, so cutting thru the tree and finishing the route was the decision that I felt was in the company's best interests.
Back then you probably got an atta boy. Now they would have accused you of stealing time and doing property damage.

keeb86

If the driveway is 3/4 of a mile long and its dark and the tree is lying between you and the only place to turn the truck around, its YOUR problem. Thats one of the reasons I keep a tow rope in my truck, it can be handy for dragging obstacles out of the way.
I'm a cut driver though...

Sent using BrownCafe App

keeb86

Is that a recent photo?

I ask because its the middle of the summer yet the trees have almost no leaves on them and the branch in the road has none whatsoever.
It was in May of this year. Tree was basically dead. This driveway like all the others I did that day were on a rural cut route.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I think Upstate was saying that if you got hurt (i.e. cut himself with the chainsaw) you would have been in a world of hurt. I got it, but Dave seems to be misunderstood quite often.
If he was,half as smart, as he thinks he Is. he wouldn't sound so stupid!

Not counting the "prick factor".

Bottom line, he is a self righteous...HATER!

JMHO

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I think Upstate was saying that if you got hurt (i.e. cut himself with the chainsaw) you would have been in a world of hurt. I got it, but Dave seems to be misunderstood quite often.
I thought he meant in trouble with the company not wanting to pay workmans comp.

If it happened again today, I would either call the center with my cell phone or message in with the DIAD and let them make the decision. Neither of those options existed 20 years ago when this happened, so the decision was mine. The bottom line was that I was NOT going home until someone cut through that tree and since a chain saw was available and I knew how to use it, that someone was me.

soberups

I'm a cut driver though...

Sent using BrownCafe App
Harbor Freight sells a tow strap for $10 that can fit in your backpack or tote bag. I keep mine in my truck since I have a bid route but if I didnt I would keep it in my duffel bag. I cant count the number of times my tow rope has gotten me out of a jam.

PT Car Washer

I thought he meant in trouble with the company not wanting to pay workmans comp.

If it happened again today, I would either call the center with my cell phone or message in with the DIAD and let them make the decision. Neither of those options existed 20 years ago when this happened, so the decision was mine. The bottom line was that I was NOT going home until someone cut through that tree and since a chain saw was available and I knew how to use it, that someone was me.
I would have done the same thing you did. Sleeping in the back of a package car until help arrived does not sound too appealing. Unless the farmers wife said I would have to sleep with her daughters. But that's another story.

soberups

I would have done the same thing you did. Sleeping in the back of a package car until help arrived does not sound too appealing. Unless the farmers wife said I would have to sleep with her daughters. But that's another story.
This was a rural house, with a pretty nice collection of deer and elk racks mounted on the wall. Cute wives and daughters have daddies with guns that hunt and I wasnt too interested in my head being the next one mounted on their wall.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What Upstate was saying is that not only would you have been physically hurt you would also have been in a world of hurt with your mgt team.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Indecision would swipe all the athletic socks off the clothesline then wait in the back of the package car.