I need advice on 401K

Tough Guy

Do any of the funds offered in our 401k work "against" one another? In other words, if you're invested in one fund, is there another that could work contradictory to it? Like if one makes money, the other is likely losing money, etc.

I've tried to research some of these things, but frankly, a lot of it is just over my head.

The way my contributions are set up, I basically contribute to every fund that is available, spread out rather equally across the board. So most of the money is at 10% or so per fund. Some of the ones that clearly seem to have stronger returns, as best I can tell, i contribute the percentage a little higher toward.

Tough Guy

When I say every fund, that doesn't include all the "year" retirement funds. I think the one I'm in for those was the 2040 fund.

Damondogg

I started a Roth account at 5%, while I changed my contribution to standard 401K to 0%. But I'm reconsidering the standard 401K drop from 5% to 0. 5% in Roth & 5% in standard. My allocations are divided in the small funds like s&p 500, midcap etc. what do you think?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I started a Roth account at 5%, while I changed my contribution to standard 401K to 0%. But I'm reconsidering the standard 401K drop from 5% to 0. 5% in Roth & 5% in standard. My allocations are divided in the small funds like s&p 500, midcap etc. what do you think?

You would be better off choosing one or the other.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Needs to be 10% at a minimum. 15% is good. 20% is what the goal should be.