I'm going to intentionally break by pinky toe this weekend.

ymelord

It ain't worth it just don't call, that way you didn't lie or break the contract. But if you decide to break it call the local tv news channel to do a story about it bad pr for UPS it will go right to the top.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How bout this don't coach a team we all took this job knowing we are gonna miss things. Show up to work then drive to the games Friday after work. By the way I'm one of the biggest sports fans you'll ever meet I took this job knowing I'm going to miss things but can provide for my family financially much better than I would be able to otherwise. Suck it up and go to work. I also I hope you learned your lesson if you truly need off don't request the day off just call in.

clarnzz

I was being sarcastic.
Ok, break your toe. Then you can go out on disability - which sucks. Maybe it will heal right, maybe not. Maybe you won`t ever be able to do this job again, but at least you proved your point ( sarcastic again ) to your center manager and DM, who really does not give a hoot about you

Well, they at least give a minimal hoot about me as I know 75+ % routes in our center and can run scratch+ on every one of them. I do not think my self mutalition wil have any effect on company policy. I just see it as my only option besides dishonesty.

clarnzz

How bout this don't coach a team we all took this job knowing we are gonna miss things. Show up to work then drive to the games Friday after work. By the way I'm one of the biggest sports fans you'll ever meet I took this job knowing I'm going to miss things but can provide for my family financially much better than I would be able to otherwise. Suck it up and go to work. I also I hope you learned your lesson if you truly need off don't request the day off just call in.

My problem is I want my management team to trust me and do not want to be dishonest. I also have 13, 14 year old boys counting on me. I only see one option.

DorkHead

Well, they at least give a minimal hoot about me as I know 75+ % routes in our center and can run scratch+ on every one of them. I do not think my self mutalition wil have any effect on company policy. I just see it as my only option besides dishonesty.

No, they don`t. You are just a number like the rest of us. It does not matter how many routes you know. In fact, they would rather replace you with a casual that makes less and costs less and you are giving them the avenue to do just that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've played plenty of baseball in my day I'll bet those boys aren't counting on you near as much as u think they are. Any real team has more than one coach and I'll bet if your the type of coach that'll break his toe to miss work so he won't miss the big game well I'll bet they may be happy you aren't there.

clarnzz

No, they don`t. You are just a number like the rest of us. It does not matter how many routes you know. In fact, they would rather replace you with a casual that makes less and costs less and you are giving them the avenue to do just that.

I refuse to think that is true, I would take a gold medal in the country wide Sort, Unload, Load, Pull, Drive olympics. There are people they truly want gone, I am not one of them.

whiskers

I would think a runner gunner would need all of his toes.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Are you saying I'm a pusillanimous for not just lieing to my boss, or I'm a pusillanimous for breaking my toe to be a part of my eldest sons biggest games of his life?
How much testicular fortitude do you need to pick up your phone and call out? It's really not that hard, or are you afraid your management team will put you in the corner for timeout?

clarnzz

I've played plenty of baseball in my day I'll bet those boys aren't counting on you near as much as u think they are. Any real team has more than one coach and I'll bet if your the type of coach that'll break his toe to miss work so he won't miss the big game well I'll bet they may be happy you aren't there.

I hear ya, me not being there will have little impact on whether or not they win a national title. But after all the practice time I have put in with them, seeing them enjoy success would feel so good. They don't need me to win, I just want to be a part of it as I have for the last 7 years.

clarnzz

How much testicular fortitude do you need to pick up your phone and call out? It's really not that hard, or are you afraid your management team will put you in the corner for timeout?

Not scared of the consequences, I just want them to know they can believe my word.

Buck Fifty

I refuse to think that is true, I would take a gold medal in the country wide Sort, Unload, Load, Pull, Drive olympics. There are people they truly want gone, I am not one of them.

Then don't lie, call in and say that you have had something personal come up and you have to take care of it. What is it ? Its personal. Is it your baseball game ? I'm sorry, but it's personal. BYE. Next time, quit trying to do the right thing for the company, and think of the kids. keep quite and call in !!!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Not scared of the consequences, I just want them to know they can believe my word.
Then the correct way of handling it from the start would be when they denied your request to use your option days you simply tell them you won't be here regardless. I'd call in the morning and reaffirm them you will not be coming in because you have personal business to attend to, end of story.

BrownArmy

P.S. a broken pinky-toe (while a painful, yet easy sacrifice on your part) isn't really a great reason to call in.

What do doctors do for a broken pinky toe, anyway? (answer = nothing).

Man up and book off.

They know why your doing it, you know why your doing it, you're within your contractual rights to do so, etc. etc.

They keep putting the ball back in your court, play dodge-ball and permanently place the ball in their court.

(If I was your center manager, I'd much rather have you book off than intentionally break your toe. WTF. )

clarnzz

P.S. a broken pinky-toe (while a painful, yet easy sacrifice on your part) isn't really a great reason to call in.

What do doctors do for a broken pinky toe, anyway? (answer = nothing).

Man up and book off.

They know why your doing it, you know why your doing it, you're within your contractual rights to do so, etc. etc.

They keep putting the ball back in your court, play dodge-ball and permanently place the ball in their court.

(If I was your center manager, I'd much rather have you book off than intentionally break your toe. WTF. )

But then your opening the door for people to just threaten to self mutalate for time off rather than forcing them to do it. I've yet to hear one reason why this is bad idea, pics to come Sunday night.

ymelord

with a casual that makes less and cost less and that can walk

clarnzz

Then don't lie, call in and say that you have had something personal come up and you have to take care of it. What is it ? Its personal. Is it your baseball game ? I'm sorry, but it's personal. BYE. Next time, quit trying to do the right thing for the company, and think of the kids. keep quite and call in !!!

Whether or not than can fire me for lieing is irrelevant. Id prefer my management to know I can be trusted.