In the end, who wins??? And at what cost?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Most analysts say, if we do go on strike, we will probably lose about 30% of our volume which is about 4 million packages a day. Truly, that is concerning granted I don’t argue or dispute The fact that the company made billions of dollars during the pandemic and because of that, we should be able to get some of those profits as well, considering it was done on our backs, not to mention, we gave up a lot of time with our families, and, of course, put our own health at risk, but the problem is going to be, as we are, probably not gonna see those profits anywhere near that due to the fact those profits were all made off of the pandemic, and now that the volume has slowed all delivery companies are struggling, laying people off, and of course, searching for volume. I don’t know what the real answer is other than the fact that maybe they could give us a huge signing bonus with a reasonable cost of living adjustment but eventually we have to top off I mean think about it in five more years from now are we gonna be looking for 60 or $65 an hour we must be reasonable or in the end this company will end up like SEARS & ROBUCK of shipping one last nugget for thought if in the event, the Teamsters are able to successfully unionized Amazon, we will no longer be the big guy on the block and in five years from now will we be yellow freight? I don’t know about you, but I sure enjoy my benefits, I have and very good standard of living, and would hate to lose it all but your truly has to be a points where we top off for 36 years I’ve worked for this job, and every year I received a raise
36 years.

Spoken like a long timer who has paid their stuff off and doesn’t understand inflation and compounding.

If you started at 15 bucks and are going to end at 45 than someone starting at 45 can expect the same tripling of their pay over their career.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
One big advantage you guys have at this point is FedEx is imploding right now, both Express and Ground. Regardless of how long a strike might last, and even if customers bail on UPS after a strike, I have a feeling they’ll be back sooner than they did in 1997. Read any thread on the FedEx side of this site to see what is going on there.
I’ve talked to multiple FedEx drivers that said they’re quitting if we go on strike. Said they can’t handle what they are doing now. Sure as hell won’t do it if we strike.

Trucker Clock

So your math factors in all the expenses for the company, or just sales and no profit margins?

My calculations were based on their profit.

My calculations included your mentioned profit. They take in an extra $1.75B, over and above accounting for expenses and current profit. The $1.75B additional income pays the $5/hr wage increase plus adding an addition $750M to profit and/or increased expenses. Add the $750M to expenses only and not profit, their profit will still be $1.5-$2B per quarter.

And, I mentioned that expenses may increase a little as the years go by, but yearly raises will no longer be $5/hr after the first year. So the raises will only cost $250M per quarter year 2 (plus the original $1B). A $1 raise instead of $5 for year2. But, UPS will still take in the extra $1.75B per quarter, plus an additional $1.75B per quarter when they raise the rates again next year.

Your calculator should now show that UPS pays out $1.25B the second year of the contract for increased wages, but now takes in $3.5B per quarter over and above what they make now. Plenty of money for expenses, stock buybacks, dividends and Carol's inflated salary.

Year 3. They pay out $1.5B extra for the wage increases but now take in $5.25B per quarter.

Year 4. They pay out $1.75B extra for the wage increase since year1, but now take in $7B extra per quarter due to rate increases.

Year 5. $2B payed out and $8.75B extra taken in.

Guess what? Our raises are not enough.

TeltBender

UPS delivers over 6 billion packages per year. They typically raise their rates 4-6% per year.

What’s the average cost to ship a package? Maybe $15-$20?

That would be an extra $6-$7B per year or $1.5-$1.75B per quarter.

That covers the $5 immediate raise for the first year. UPS then continues to make that same extra $1.5-$1.75B per quarter while maybe only giving us a $1 or $2 raise in subsequent years. Plenty of money to cover increased operating costs and stock buybacks.
Most packages are not even close to that expensive