Invisible Fences

stealth8

Talking about electric fences. Have any of you walked into those wire electrified fences that farmers or country folk put up to deter deer from coming onto the propery? Some horse farms also "wire " their wooden fences to stop the horses from chewing on the fence. Well one peak in the dark I walked right into one of them and you should have heard my YELP!!

surviv'n_it

I still do not understand why there is not an option of "loose dog" in the board as non-delivery reasons.

At our center, missed can only be used if approved by a sup before hand. We also have to put that sups initials in the remarks column so they can verify he/she authorized it.

I was told to use EC for any reason that a package cannot be delivered because you cannot get to the house/business. Loose dog, car accident, house fire, etc. If the road or driveway is blocked and you dont feel safe walking it, (or just dont feel like walking it!), EC it.

At least thats what they tell us at our center, but obviously each center has its own policies.

upsdude

We’re told to use “consignee delay” and give the package to the PM clerk. Delivery Sup made it very clear at a PCM that it’s the driver’s decision. If you don’t feel safe with the dog, bring the package back. Sup went on to say he would back us up 100%. I know, never believe management, it would be kind of hard for him to deny saying that with 30 witnesses.

I carry dog treats and go through a box every couple weeks. I’ve found the treats to be especially helpful with friendly dogs as well. I have one house call that always requires a signature and the lady has to fight the dog to keep him in the house. I hand him a treat and he goes away while she signs the diad. :thumbup1:

I leave a bag of dog treats in my mail slot for the cover driver when I’m on vacation.

SmithBarney

Once had a home owner tell me "the regular driver gives my dogs treats"
I said, "I only give treats to good dogs, I don't reinforce agressive behaviour
with treats, please train your dog" Next time I came by amazingly the dogs
were much better behaved.

Of course I like the people who say "its ok its ok" in their sweetest voice to
the dog, when its snarling at me.. A good whack on the nose and a FIRM
"NO!", I swear some people need to learn how to train their animals.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I heard someone say that dog biscuits are now being recalled due to ingredient contamination. If that's the case I may start using tainted biscuits for the bad dogs.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Have you've felt a shock collar? Although there is pain involved, the intensity isn't that much, and I wouldn't call it 'cruel'. Fences are an eye sore and they remove from the element of natural surveillance. Crimes are more likely to happen near places like fences and blank brick walls than open areas and walls that have massive windows. I'd rather use some pain compliance for fido than have a fence.

I heard someone say that dog biscuits are now being recalled due to ingredient contamination. If that's the case I may start using tainted biscuits for the bad dogs.

that's horrible! yet again, giving your pet food made for low balling wal-mart is just as horrible, too.

these consumers have these pets, and yet they are too cheap to give them quality food, and then when they drop dead (because the food has such low quality ingredients and production standards), they run to the media over their pet that they loved so much, suing for a few million dollars to make up for their loss. that's my tangent for today.

Last edited:

SmithBarney

What someone really needs to market, is a portable "invisible fence" transmitter... basically will transmit the same frequency as the underground wire, and then the dogs will leave you alone(or at least yipe alot when they get near ya) You can wear it on your belt like a beeper... give you a 5ft circle of
freedom.
I'm pretty sure the Invisible fence company uses all the same frequency...
hrmm, I smell a marketing idea.. PATENT Pending... ;)

dammor

Have you've felt a shock collar? Although there is pain involved, the intensity isn't that much, and I wouldn't call it 'cruel'. Fences are an eye sore and they remove from the element of natural surveillance. Crimes are more likely to happen near places like fences and blank brick walls than open areas and walls that have massive windows. I'd rather use some pain compliance for fido than have a fence.

that's horrible! yet again, giving your pet food made for low balling wal-mart is just as horrible, too.

these consumers have these pets, and yet they are too cheap to give them quality food, and then when they drop dead (because the food has such low quality ingredients and production standards), they run to the media over their pet that they loved so much, suing for a few million dollars to make up for their loss. that's my tangent for today.

Hoser, Some very good brand names were also listed in the recall. I feed my dogs Science Diet and it was mentioned in the recall. So was the brand name that sponsor's the big deal dog show. Eucanuba or something like that. Thank God my dogs are fine. People will not be able to sue for millions as you said. If they are lucky they will get paid for vet bills. Pets are considered as property under the law and pain and suffering does not apply. Mutts are worth nothing to anyone except for those of us that love them. I for one do love the mutts.
I also wish more people would feed their dogs "good food", but most times am just thrilled to see they are feeding them at all. I carry food and water in my truck for that reason. Cheap food is not the best for sure, but that doesn't mean those who have 6 kids and very little money that feed it to thier pets are at fault. Cheap food should not be poison. Lets put the blame where it belongs. It would also be nice if people would spay/neuter thier pets.
That's my tangent for the day.......

upsdude

I’d rather Fido feel a shock collar as opposed to the undercarriage of a passenger car.

A customer on my route has a sign near the end of the driveway that reads, Dog on Premises, Invisible Fence. I always thank them, but the dog is about as mean as Scooby Do.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Hoser, Some very good brand names were also listed in the recall. I feed my dogs Science Diet and it was mentioned in the recall. So was the brand name that sponsor's the big deal dog show. Eucanuba or something like that. Thank God my dogs are fine. People will not be able to sue for millions as you said. If they are lucky they will get paid for vet bills. Pets are considered as property under the law and pain and suffering does not apply. Mutts are worth nothing to anyone except for those of us that love them. I for one do love the mutts.
I also wish more people would feed their dogs "good food", but most times am just thrilled to see they are feeding them at all. I carry food and water in my truck for that reason. Cheap food is not the best for sure, but that doesn't mean those who have 6 kids and very little money that feed it to thier pets are at fault. Cheap food should not be poison. Lets put the blame where it belongs. It would also be nice if people would spay/neuter thier pets.
That's my tangent for the day.......
Oh believe me, I'm not saying cheap dog food should have poison, I'm just arguing that this is why owners should go for high quality stuff (regularly only available through the vet). Some people, however, may argue that it's safter to go through a large producer that has more control over its production.

The six kids and fido argument I find hard to accept. If you want to own a pet, you should own it responsibly. This includes having adequate financial stability.

It's without doubt that the individuals who lost their pets are entitled to compensation. And the maker of the food, well, they're screwed. Their business is done for. I was just going after the $150 000+ income earners that go to the media with a sob story after feeding their pet "ol' roy" dog food.

Automaton

In many new housing developments, 4000 sq ft homes are built 4 inches apart. Individual fencing is often not permitted in these associations due to cramped spaces and a common "green belt", however scenic, now becomes one's back yard. What other choices than shock collars and invisible fences do we have for pet owners in these circumstances?

My complaint is, why don't they limit the invisible fence to just the back yard?

DS

Fenderbender
I found an interesting article about these fences Why I REALLY Hate Electronic Shock - Invisible - Fences by Pam Dennison @ positivedogs.com

trickpony1

Anyone with a background/understanding of psychology would agree with her.
Dogs live "in the moment" which means dogs aren't capable of associating events that occur a great time apart.
I believe it's called the S-R-R bond (stimulus-response-reinforcement bond). In the case of the "electric fence", the reinforcement would be the negative shock effect.

.....but what could I know, I'm just a dumb truck driver.

Lowhigh

Over Dispatched
If we keep this "shock collar" and "invisible fence" thread going for much longer management might try to put them around our necks or around the package car. Go off route and you get a nice zap to the neck. It could even be programmed to detect motion, stand and talk with a receptionist for to long..zap. Good thing we have a contract.