Is being a UPS delivery driver a good career

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So those that got themselves fired are now earning 100k or more, enjoy full benefits, lots of vacation, and have a nice pension?

InsideUPS

I thought strongly about being a UPS driver. Few questions? 1). Is being a UPS driver a tough job, or what's it like? 2). What are the requirements to being a UPS driver?. 3). How many hours on average to they work a day?.

Pros -
1) $$$ - The only job I know of where a person with a high school diploma can earn 6 figures ($100,000 +). (besides oil rigs / drugs / Alaska Crab Fishing)
2) 7+ weeks paid vacation
3) Health benefits that exceed most industries today
4) Pension - "Other than Central States"

Cons and/or Potential Cons
1) Physically, emotionally, mentally demanding.
2) Long hours often exceeding 9.5 to 10.5 per day
3) Job Security - With telematics, etc.., all your actions are highly scrutinized. One bad accident can have you
4) Potential harassment if you're not "one of the favorites"
5) 4 year wage progression
6) Declining Union Membership - Uncertain future wages/benefits
7) Over 70 lb. package handling often on your own. Few drivers I know actually utilized the contract language.

You may want to look into obtaining a Class A CDL. Many options out there for drivers with this class of license.

Best of Luck in whatever you do...

Pros -
1) $$$ - The only job I know of where a person with a high school diploma can earn 6 figures ($100,000 +). (besides oil rigs / drugs / Alaska Crab Fishing)
2) 7+ weeks paid vacation
3) Health benefits that exceed most industries today
4) Pension - "Other than Central States"

Cons and/or Potential Cons
1) Physically, emotionally, mentally demanding.
2) Long hours often exceeding 9.5 to 10.5 per day
3) Job Security - With telematics, etc.., all your actions are highly scrutinized. One bad accident can have you
4) Potential harassment if you're not "one of the favorites"
5) 4 year wage progression
6) Declining Union Membership - Uncertain future wages/benefits
7) Over 70 lb. package handling often on your own. Few drivers I know actually utilized the contract language.

You may want to look into obtaining a Class A CDL. Many options out there for drivers with this class of license.

Best of Luck in whatever you do...

StoptheAct1212

Its a good job. We have a great reputation. We make great money and great benefits.

Bad thing. You have to ne cutt out for it. And yes.... your life is Ups...

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I run into people from time to time who quit or got fired as a driver. Most of them say it was a bad decision that they regret, and lament the fact they would only be "X" amount of years from retirement.

clean hairy

please reattempt... customer states you didn't knock and they were home all day.
They did not hear a truck with noisy exhaust, and clanking and clunking down the street that anyone else can hear a block away.
No wonder they did not hear the driver knock!
Time to get their hearing checked!

Re-Raise

image.png
customer stated you threw the info notice from a moving package car going 30 mph and the info notice mysteriously stuck to the door, please reattempt

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I run into people from time to time who quit or got fired as a driver. Most of them say it was a bad decision that they regret, and lament the fact they would only be "X" amount of years from retirement.
But have you run into any that tell you that leaving UPS was the best thing that ever happened to them or the best decision they ever made?