Is being a UPS delivery driver a good career

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm not one. He is the head groundskeeper at a private country club. Also lost his license to a Dui recently.
I've run into a few that have told me their lives are so much less stressful and how much happier they are. Some are retirees, firees, and quitees so it's a good mix.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm not one. He is the head groundskeeper at a private country club. Also lost his license to a Dui recently.
IMG_5362.JPG

Savvy412

There was a driver at my hub that left to be a fire fighter for the city (paid) a little less pay until he works his way up the ranks to chief I believe ?

But he's doing that 2. (24 hour shifts) then the rest of the week off and I think 1 day on call...

Would be tempting ..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There was a driver at my hub that left to be a fire fighter for the city (paid) a little less pay until he works his way up the ranks to chief I believe ?

But he's doing that 2. (24 hour shifts) then the rest of the week off and I think 1 day on call...

Would be tempting ..
I know many fire fighters and all of their wives are stay home mothers and they are all rolling around in new SUVs...around here they are paid very good, and they have good job security without the bs head games that ups thinks we need to justify the 35 dollar an hour wage...

MAKAVELI

I know many fire fighters and all of their wives are stay home mothers and they are all rolling around in new SUVs...around here they are paid very good, and they have good job security without the bs head games that ups thinks we need to justify the 35 dollar an hour wage...
City firefighters around here start at 80-90k, well over 100k with ot. With benefits that rival UPS. Chiefs well over 200k.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

City firefighters around here start at 80-90k, well over 100k with ot. With benefits that rival UPS. Chiefs well over 200k.

My son in law has been an Albany (NY) firefighter for the past 2 years. He works 24 hours and then has 3 days off. He started in the low 40's and has already received several raises. He works PT at Lowes as they are trying to get the last of their student loans paid off.

MAKAVELI

My son in law has been an Albany (NY) firefighter for the past 2 years. He works 24 hours and then has 3 days off. He started in the low 40's and has already received several raises. He works PT at Lowes as they are trying to get the last of their student loans paid off.
I guess the pay really sucks back east. Here in Cali they are very well compensated but also are often called to help with major wild fires.

Dr.Brownz

I thought strongly about being a UPS driver. Few questions? 1). Is being a UPS driver a tough job, or what's it like? 2). What are the requirements to being a UPS driver?. 3). How many hours on average to they work a day?.

Yes being a driver is a very physically demanding job. Literally all you do is lift and lower packages or walk packages up steep driverways. Packages can be up to 150lbs. We work atleast 8.5 hours a day but 9 or 10 or 11 is more common. Overtime pay but I think I make enough in 8 hours to live just fine.

It can be a good job but you have to learn to not let the companies propaganda to go faster and work unsafely affect you. They will preach safety but at the same time they will do everything they can to push you to do more work. Your body will break down if you work the fantasy pace they want you to work. After you pass probation go safe and slow and join the union. The only reason I stay at this job is because it pays $34 an hour plus benefits and vacations. Don't let them pressure you to go fast. Good luck. PM me if you have more questions. I'm fairly certain UPS has social media accounts on this site to spread UPS propaganda (in their minds "protect the company image")

nystripe96

The pay, paid time off & people on my route make this job worth it. It's physically demanding, but if you set your own pace, abide by the safety guidelines then you can surely make this a career. The days are long, but you'll get used to it. Time off is important. I calculated I have 139 days off this year to spend with my family. 35 of those days are paid days off. That's nothing to sneeze at

Last edited:

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Some days it's the greatest job ever. For me it's when you genuinely make the customers day and exceed their expectations. Usually, the bad days are a result of the mind games the company likes to play. This job isn't for everyone but I can't imagine doing anything else. I just wish it wouldn't wear out the body so much.

LongIslandNewbie

I am on day 31 of 40 days out on the road. I have scratched about 5 of the 31 days. I have seen drivers at my center that have hot their 40th day and haven't been out on the road again. Aren't you automatically in once you hit your 40?