Is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by brownstreak86, May 10, 2016.

1. brownstreak86

brownstreak86 Member

I've been a driver (off the street) for 6 months now. Since January I've been working 15-25 hours a week. I'm on call 5 days a week. I have no vacation, sick, or personal days. My first vacation is scheduled in January of 2016 for a week. I'm financially in a tough spot, $200 a week is not enough. And yes the health insurance is awesome, but for me, its not really free. I am giving up 5 days a week and only working 1-3. When I do work, they pile the work on me. They give me 200+ stops and always say "well you want the work right"? I am 30 years old and last year made $50,000 working construction and other odd jobs.

Is it really worth it? I spoke to a previous employer this past week and they offered me a comfortable position, 4 weeks of paid leave to start, $45k a year and going up, and affordable health care. Its also a low stress job, and 4 day work weeks, four 10 hour days. Its hard for me to say this isn't a bad option, particularly with the way things are right now. What I want to know is if it is really worth it? If you were offered this position before you were in with UPS too deep, would you take it?

2. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

Everybody goes through this lean period. You will be working more when vacations start kicking in. Maybe you could pick up some side construction jobs with someone that you could work when not working UPS.

Look at the long term, not the short term, if you like the work, you will soon be getting all you want, and more. 45k now - insurance or 100k a few years down the road, only you can make that decision.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. Honestly, I don't see any future for this next generation of UPS. Our Union weakens every year. As technology advances we won't need skills to deliver a package, thus eliminating the need for "skilled" union workers. With Amazon taking over the market who knows if UPS will still be around in 10 years.

There's no reason for you to keep suffering. I'd take advantage of this new opportunity for you. No need to stick around for the massive layoffs.

Thanks,
    Loyal Teamster

We Love Logistics

• Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  4. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

Great advice @upschuck

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Insaneasylum

Insaneasylum Active Member

This coming from the guy who's name is loyal teamster but will not even use his own company to ship items.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. brownstreak86

brownstreak86 Member

To be fair to Loyal Teamster, when you ship with Ebay, you have two options of who to ship with, FedEx and USPS. You can use UPS, but its not nearly as simple, and 90% of the time it does cost more. UPS needs to work with Ebay to get that account. I think the thing is that UPS is more expensive most of the time with smaller items than FedEx or USPS, that is why it doesn't work well for most Ebay items.

I know I could stick around and maybe someday see 100k a year, but it will also mean working 50-60 hours a week, dealing with supervisors who treat you like kids, not like part of a team. I am sick of being talked down to. I know the sups work hard, but so do I.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Start scraping metal for extra cash.

8. amen brother. Best of luck for you and your family. If you leave UPS at least you'll be able to enjoy Christmas and other important days with your family.

Thanks,
    Loyal Teamster

We Love Logistics

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Delivery!!!

Delivery!!! New Member

I'm in year 2, my first year was the same way through the spring of my first year. Since the spring of my first year I've been averaging 4 days a week. It'll pickup and not stop once vacations start up in a few weeks.

10. Orion inc.

Orion inc. I like turtles

If you think Amazon is going to overtake the logistics business and put ups/fedex out of business, you don't know anything about logistics, business, ups or Amazon.

Isn't it nice when the trolls come back after time off?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  11. Savvy412

Savvy412 Active Member

Man... Just leave.

You have 4-5-6 more years of this and like everyone said. Ups is going to :censored2:.

45-60k and happy >>> 75+ miserable stressed

12. It's de a tough spot,if you are the bread winner for the family,
    We all went through it. Just have to learn to budget ypur money, when you get a full weeks paycheck in and maybe a part-time job somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

I would take the other job. This one to be starting out, is life changing, and not in a good way
    10 yrs ago, i would have told you to hang in we all go through it. I could not imagine starting at UPS now and thinking I would last long enough to get a retirement. They eat their own they really do

14. I agree and disagree with you.

15. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

That ain't gonna change!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  16. Revenue per piece, stops per hour...

17. DriveInDriveOut

DriveInDriveOut The One Who Knocks

If 50 hours a week is too much for you I'd take the other job Goldilocks. Plenty of other people out there who want it more.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  18. opey

opey Member

45k is not all that much, and in 4 years you will be making double that at UPS, plus not paying for your insurance which could equate to anywhere up to about $1000 a month for a family. plus the pension, even if u dont go the full 25+ years you will still have it. its a tough job which isnt for everyone, but thats why it pays so well. you would be giving up a MUCH better long term situation for quick satisfaction now... unless u jsut hate the job itself, hang in there...

19. MendozaJ

MendozaJ Active Member

$45k ($21.63/hr) a year and going up? Up where, exactly? Will that be through advancement? What exactly do you have to do to make it go up? Did they specifically describe the position as comfortable, or is that your interpretation?

20. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

Your not telling this guy to start keying cars are you?