its just a job........

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i chose to start a new thread on this subject, because jim's thread was not the place, imho.

there were several posters that posted their thoughts about it just being a job

It is just a job. To lose it, to be forced to change, sucks. So does life. Get a helmet.
posted by someone that has allegedly worked about a year at ups

This is not just a job for most of us. You dont purchase homes, cars and raise a family on just a job. Those are serious decisions and knowing that you have a career behind alot easier to make them.

You have not been at ups nearly enough time to understand what i am talking about, The majority of us have slaved working 2 and 3 jobs to get our shot at making a career out of it. The majority of us stood on picket lines protecting our careers, the majority of us understand the sacrifices and yes while we might complain from time to time that is our right as we have earned it in our career choice!

You have what about a year in? And you feel that gives you the right on how to determine what is a ups job or career?

What was your career before you came to ups or was it just a job?
and this was by someone else that has been around a while.

it is my opinion that yes, it is a job. but to the majority, it is so much more than even a job or a career. it is a lifestyle. in a way, the same saying that once a marine, always a marine......once a upsman, always a upsman.

while the job is not brain surgery, it is complex, demanding and very physical. not a job for just anyone. and as red stated, many of us paid a stiff price to be able to don those browns for the first time and go hit the road.

there is a lot of pride that the vast majority of ups personnel have. pride in a tradition of honor, service, dependability just to mention a few. that pride runs deep, becoming part of the soul.

when something happens, and a driver is fired for dishonesty, something happens on the inside. shame, embarrassment, self hatred, and on and on. and there is also a furious anger, one of betrayal by those he was "trying to help out", that have now turned on him, and him alone.

so red, i know you get it. but there are a bunch of "experts" out there that dont.

d

satellitedriver

Careers are made over time.
Jobs are done daily.
The word career only applies to length of time one has spent doing a job.
IE;
A professors career, a fireman's career, a lawyers career, A UPS persons career.
All these things have one thing in common.
The time spent doing them.
If you spend your life working for UPS, you have developed a career.
If you come and go, it's just a job.

k_Loader_Airhub

Careers are made over time.
Jobs are done daily.

The word career only applies to length of time one has spent doing a job.
IE;
A professors career, a fireman's career, a lawyers career, A UPS persons career.
All these things have one thing in common.
The time spent doing them.
If you spend your life working for UPS, you have developed a career.
If you come and go, it's just a job.​

So Mr.Satellitedriver, Why was i &empty&empty&empty&empty&empty&empty in a 10 year contract, i spent 10 long years at an air hub for a contract company , then united pot smoker(UPS) decided to make it UPS.. I spent 10 long years with contract and almost 4 years with ups.. What Career have they given me ?????????? Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!! But a part time job , UPS will be exposed you can count on that!!!!!!!​

tieguy

Banned
So Mr.Satellitedriver, Why was i fooked in a 10 year contract, i spent 10 long years at an air hub for a contract company , then united pot smoker(UPS) decided to make it UPS.. I spent 10 long years with contract and almost 4 years with ups.. What Career have they given me ?????????? Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!! But a part time job , UPS will be exposed you can count on that!!!!!!!​

what did you expect them to "give" you?

what did UPS do that to you that requires such harsh feelings?

what have you personally done to better yourself to give you more options so you don't have to suffer at the whims of a corporation?

k_Loader_Airhub

what did you expect them to "give" you?
what did UPS do that to you that requires such harsh feelings?

what have you personally done to better yourself to give you more options so you don't have to suffer at the whims of a corporation?

Son im well off, i dont need no hand outs, it just pisses me off i worked 10 years for a contract , and it dont count for nothing, It's all ok , it will be exposed in a Vid on You Tube, I have all my back paychecks kept(from contract and ups) , and serval other items to expose UPS.....​

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
oh bother eeyore.jpg
eeyore.jpg

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
k_Loader_Airhub you were working a partime job that probably did not make you any promises. If you thought it would turn in to anything more shame on you. It sounds like you need a mentor to help you get your life back on track. Before you put anything out on the web ask yourself "What would your mother or grandma have to say about it?"

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dear fooled, oh i mean ******.

there is no real reason to use "foul" language here.

there is a big difference between working for ups and at ups. there are a lot of people that provide services for ups that are not ups employees. the fact that you worked for one, then when ups bought them out, you became a ups employee, and had to start all over again with your start date? what is so unusual about that.

so the real reason you posted was to try to create interest for your youtube production. you ought to fit right in with some if the whack jobs already there.

4 years part time at ups and not full time yet? that is not that far from about average. in our building it has ranged from 4 to almost years. so what makes you so special that we need to move you to the front of the ups seniority list, instead of you starting over?

d

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
K loader................... I'm sure the big sharks down in Atlanta are shaking in their shoes as we speak!!!!!

From Merriam-Webster:

career
1 a: speed in a course <ran at full career> b: course , passage
2: encounter , charge
3: a field for or pursuit of consecutive progressive achievement especially in public, professional, or business life <Washington's career as a soldier>
4: a profession for which one trains and which is undertaken as a permanent calling <a career in medicine> <a career diplomat>

UPS Driver fits definition #4 but not #3.
I've done some driving and been there 19yrs. To me it's a job but go ahead and call it a career if it makes you feel good.

Channahon

I worked 10 years for a contract , and it dont count for nothing, It's all ok , it will be exposed in a Vid on You Tube, I have all my back paychecks kept(from contract and ups) , and serval other items to expose UPS.....​

I looked at your original thread and your stated the same issues, are you just updating us that you will be posting on YouTube?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
UPS Driver fits definition #4 but not #3.
I've done some driving and been there 19yrs. To me it's a job but go ahead and call it a career if it makes you feel good.

to the contrary dude. number three might not fit you, but it does fit a lot of others.

so it if makes you feel good to call it a job..........

chan

people like this hate when someone posts something positive on the job situation at ups. they feel it is there duty to run out and tell everyone in the world, like anyone really cares?

d

ih8tbrn

Banned
Let's start a poll: Is it a job or a career? I vote it's just a job. But, I sure do enjoy those awesome benefits. And all I have to do is work a few hours every evening to get them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is a career in my case. A career is one in which you invest much more than simply 40 hours a week. This career has helped me buy my house, provide for my family, put 2 kids through college and ensure that I will have a secure retirement when I put my 30 yrs in.

This is actually my second career. My first was my stint in the Air Force and I still have mixed feelings to this day as to whether I should have stayed in for the full 20 or not--I actually served for 8 years.

I would hardly call my job in the Christmas bulb factory or my work study job in the cafeteria while at UMass careers.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Hmm...

Differing opinions are good. No right or wrong answer here.

Career / Job / What you do to obtain income - All the same thing, different levels.

If it makes you feel better, change my original quote to "It is just a tool. To lose it, to be forced to change, sucks. So does life. Get a helmet. "

Whatever you do during 9-5 (or whatever) is simply a tool. It is a means to provide for yourself & your family.

Dannyboy, I agree, most people when asked who they are say "I'm a UPS driver" (or whatever they do.

The most happy people I have ever met understand that what you do to make money is not who you are.