Jury Duty

Bitcoinz

They wanted my "Avatar" pic.
So I got a jury summons months ago. I missed my first one and they just issued me a 2nd summons. I know I have to go to this one, but I managed to push it back to December and I got group 1, number 50. I'm pretty sure I will be called. Is this evil to do?

Bitcoinz

They wanted my "Avatar" pic.
Well mind you that was my old summons number, perhaps it all random though and I wont even get called. But I figured if it did have to go, why no go during peak? haha

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So I got a jury summons months ago. I missed my first one and they just issued me a 2nd summons. I know I have to go to this one, but I managed to push it back to December and I got group 1, number 50. I'm pretty sure I will be called. Is this evil to do?

Your center manager will have a conniption fit if he/she finds out that you purposely pushed your summons date to coincide with Peak. In our center they used to call the jury duty folks directly to get our dates changed.

rod

Retired 22 years
Why would anyone try to get out of jury duty? Its a free days pay for sitting around a courthouse. I had jury duty for 2 different sessions while at UPS. Served on 5 or 6 juries. Criminal cases are the best (more exciting). Civil cases suck--usually just some member of a family trying to screw another member out of some inheritance. Both my sessions were for the winter period (Jan. through March). I can tell you one thing for sure----that courthouse was a hell of a lot warmer in Feb. than my POS UPS truck was. I even went so far as to tell the gals in the Clerk of Courts office that any time they needed a jury feel free to send me a notice.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I enjoyed jury duty when I was in feeders. I worked nights, so instead of getting off at 4am and going to jury duty in a couple of hours, we got the day before off, and even If I didn't get picked I got that day off too, since I didn't get enough sleep to work that night. Courthouse was 20-35 miles thru the worst traffic in the morning that you could expect. However, here in the Houston area, you could show your summons and ride the park and ride bus in the contraflow lane to within 2 blocks of the courthouse. Made it easy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I love jury duty. Getting paid for 8 hours while sitting in a comfortable chair in an air conditioned room.

That being said, I would not feel right about being asked to serve on jury duty during Peak. To me it would be kind of like taking FMLA to play Daddy with my 5 month old baby.

Packmule

Well mind you that was my old summons number, perhaps it all random though and I wont even get called. But I figured if it did have to go, why no go during peak? haha
Awesome! Have to remember this! Lol
Really, feel for your coworkers who have to pick up the slack, but UPS coul be hiring one more temp as well.

browntroll

im wondering how does UPS pay jury duty?, i had a coworker go to jury duty only for 1 day he didnt get picked. he told us that
UPS wasnt gonna pay for it and he was gonna get paid by the court only $15 a day. did they just not like him and told him this
or does ups have to pay a certain amount?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
im wondering how does UPS pay jury duty?, i had a coworker go to jury duty only for 1 day he didnt get picked. he told us that
UPS wasnt gonna pay for it and he was gonna get paid by the court only $15 a day. did they just not like him and told him this

Did he have seniority?

oldngray

nowhere special

UPS has to pay you your normal days pay and you give UPS the check the court gives you.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here we have to tell them whether our employer pays us or not. They don't cut checks for those of us who get paid by our employers.

Some courts do it that way. My point was that you can't double dip and get paid both ways. The UPS check is a greater amount so of course that is what everyone gets.