Just violated DOT what to expect now?

What'dyabringmetoday???

The dot does not require a 34 hour reset. If you don't reset then your hours move to a rolling week. This means that hours from over 7 days ago fall off your total. If you get a letter then fight it because that's a clear example of someone else not knowing the rules.

That said keeping proper track of hours under a rolling week can be tricky. I used an app for it when I was utility driver
Thank you! UPS takes it upon itself to reset drivers but according to FMCSA rules, it is the driver's discretion whether or not the use a reset. And I believe if you dig far enough, the hours rules should not be the same for package drivers.

Last edited:

8rogan

Nope, assuming your still operating under the 60 hour rule all of your DOT hours from Monday 5/4 would have fallen off at midnight prior to you punching in at 2:15 on Monday 5/11
I appreciate you saying that and making me feel slightly better, but all of the management at my center and the people on this forum disagree. lol

What'dyabringmetoday???

I've always tried to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Your pension fund is jacked up, through no fault of your own.

If you have such contempt for your Local leaders.... run for office.

Show everyone, you are a more viable candidate to fix things.

People talk big.

Until it's time to actually do anything.

-Bug-
I'd rather become a part-time supervisor. Maybe some of you do good things. But a big share don't. I'll take my chances on my own. There really is not a Teamsters Union anymore. At least not what it once was. And I doubt it will ever return.

And as I said- perhaps you do great things. But many of your "leaders" prefer to have things the way that they are. I'll ride out my time sans daily buffet runs. And continue to fund my own retirement...

Oak

I appreciate you saying that and making me feel slightly better, but all of the management at my center and the people on this forum disagree. lol
UPS does not seem to understand the DOT law 'or' they have decided management could never be able to do the math correctly over the course of the past seven days.

Anyone who has ever kept a paper log book understands.

trickpony1

….'or' they have decided management could never be able to do the math correctly over the course of the past seven days.

In the old days mgmt. did it by hand. You could walk into dispatch and see them counting back 7 spaces and then pecking on the calculator. How mind numbing.

They now have an app that does it automatically. There's no reason the driver and/or mgmt. shouldn't know a driver is getting close on HOS.

In the old days mgmt. did it by hand. You could walk into dispatch and see them counting back 7 spaces and then pecking on the calculator. How mind numbing.

They now have an app that does it automatically. There's no reason the driver and/or mgmt. shouldn't know a driver is getting close on HOS.
They put print outs out when guys are getting lots of overtime, so they know how many hours they have left.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
@8rogan , you didn't violate DOT hours, because there really aren't any right now.
"The hours worked providing direct assistance under the emergency relief exemption do not count toward the 60/70-hour rule." That's basically ALL your hours.

If your center manager sends you some warning letter, it is because he is a Dhead, not because you violated anything. You didn't.
I would guess he will get over himself, and you won't hear about this again.

Frequently Asked Questions Related to the FMCSA Emergency Declaration 03/19/2020 | FMCSA

8rogan

@8rogan , you didn't violate DOT hours, because there really aren't any right now.
"The hours worked providing direct assistance under the emergency relief exemption do not count toward the 60/70-hour rule." That's basically ALL your hours.

If your center manager sends you some warning letter, it is because he is a Dhead, not because you violated anything. You didn't.
I would guess he will get over himself, and you won't hear about this again.

Frequently Asked Questions Related to the FMCSA Emergency Declaration 03/19/2020 | FMCSA

I feel like even if that’s true they’re still pushing the letter because it was a firm rule they pushed on us and I violated it.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

Sweeper is correct that the hours worked before midnight Monday would be recaptured, I do this all the time working coverage in feeders.

Did you work any hours on that previous Monday?

Also, if you do get a letter talk to your union and have them verify if you were moved to 70 hours and the company is telling everyone they are on 60. My building always tells us we are on 60 until they need us. They do this to control OT.

Last edited:

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
4 hours in the preload

Then you had 4.80 hours available this Monday. So, you needed to be back to the building by 7:02 to not violate HOS.

Add minute for minute any meal or break you took before 7:02 because those don't count against your HOS, just your daily 14 hours. If you took a 10 minute break and 30 minutes meal you could drive until 7:42.

You didn't violate the HOS if you were back by 7:02 and worked on property. You just needed to be finished by that time plus any break or meal you took.

8rogan

I have a text proving I was at the building before 4 last Saturday unloading my truck before I punched out, would that be relevant to my case?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I have a text proving I was at the building before 4 last Saturday unloading my truck before I punched out, would that be relevant to my case?

The only thing that could help you Saturday would be something proving you were punched out at 4:14.

RolloTony Brown Town

sweeper is correct. If you don’t reset then you drop hours from 7 days ago (in your case Monday).

Your HOS are YOUR responsibility. Mistakes happen. Learn from it. Most on road supervisors and Center managers and even DMs don’t know about dropping hours. It’s very common in feeders.

8rogan

Little update so far, today the center manager is so mad he refuses to talk to me. Another sup said because I didn’t get my reset the past 7 days from today are now my hours. (Meaning the Monday even though it was a light day I went over 60, so not sure if that was the violation or if not getting a break and that go together to make 2 violations) they’re cutting all extra work off of me this week, so I’m only getting 5 hour days this week. The center manager is also Telling the sups he doesn’t want me starting at 2:15 on mondays anymore.

I guess, as of now I have an easy week. I’m to start at 4am on Monday instead of 2 and I have a warning letter coming to me.

also, we usually have 2 air drivers to do all of our air work. So, the other air driver is being forced to start on Monday and he said if they do that to him he’s refusing to work on Saturday (we are in desperate need of Saturday help).

trickpony1

they’re cutting all extra work off of me this week, so I’m only getting 5 hour days this week.

This shouldn't last very long.

Several years ago I got cut to 8 hour days (rare in feeders) by a manager that had an "affection" for me.

One day that manager and a feedah driver were walking in the gate.

Manager: how's Trickster like his 8 hour days?

Driver: I think he likes them. He said he got more home time, more gym time and more sleep time.

It was like someone flipped switch...I was back to 10-11 hour days quickly.

Suggestion: keep your mouth shut, smile alot, act like you enjoy 5 hour days and see what happens.

8rogan

This shouldn't last very long.

Several years ago I got cut to 8 hour days (rare in feeders) by a manager that had an "affection" for me.

One day that manager and a feedah driver were walking in the gate.

Manager: how's Trickster like his 8 hour days?

Driver: I think he likes them. He said he got more home time, more gym time and more sleep time.

It was like someone flipped switch...I was back to 10-11 hour days quickly.

Suggestion: keep your mouth shut, smile alot, act like you enjoy 5 hour days and see what happens.

It’s just this week they said, they all know I’m not exactly hurting for money and enjoy easy days. Which is probably why they warned me of a rough week next week lol