Just violated DOT what to expect now?

This shouldn't last very long.

Several years ago I got cut to 8 hour days (rare in feeders) by a manager that had an "affection" for me.

One day that manager and a feedah driver were walking in the gate.

Manager: how's Trickster like his 8 hour days?

Driver: I think he likes them. He said he got more home time, more gym time and more sleep time.

It was like someone flipped switch...I was back to 10-11 hour days quickly.

Suggestion: keep your mouth shut, smile alot, act like you enjoy 5 hour days and see what happens.
It's a good spot to be in. I like it done early but I also like making money, so whatever way they want to play it...

RTCD

Yeah, you didn’t violate anything; they just don’t understand how to calculate the rolling hours without a reset.

The good news is you can use the reset knowledge from now on to avoid this situation. If they force you to work late on Saturday then you get out of work early Monday. Let them figure out your time, just say you need a 34 hr reset and can’t come in.

RTCD

If you don’t need the money, just volunteer to take a 34 hour reset now and get out of work for Thursday and Friday.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Little update so far, today the center manager is so mad he refuses to talk to me. Another sup said because I didn’t get my reset the past 7 days from today are now my hours. (Meaning the Monday even though it was a light day I went over 60, so not sure if that was the violation or if not getting a break and that go together to make 2 violations) they’re cutting all extra work off of me this week, so I’m only getting 5 hour days this week. The center manager is also Telling the sups he doesn’t want me starting at 2:15 on mondays anymore.

I guess, as of now I have an easy week. I’m to start at 4am on Monday instead of 2 and I have a warning letter coming to me.

also, we usually have 2 air drivers to do all of our air work. So, the other air driver is being forced to start on Monday and he said if they do that to him he’s refusing to work on Saturday (we are in desperate need of Saturday help).
I'm sure he got chewed out by his boss.

Zach30009

Hello everyone, just going to make this short. I’ve got another post on another account somewhere going more into detail, but I got a dot violation from being a few minutes shy of a reset. 3 days after I’ve been told about it, they told me I have a letter coming and they’re shortening my days this week since my hours aren’t reset but just going off of the roll back days. I’ve seen other posts on here making me paranoid of being terminated, they’ve already told me I need to be ready for more long days next week because of how busy it is implying I’ll be working next week. What are the odds of something happening and being terminated?

Zach30009

By the sounds of it you didn’t actually violate DOT.

You violated the companies narrow view of the DOT laws

I’ve spent a ton of time looking into this online, everywhere I look I see that the reset isn’t mandatory, but if it didn’t reset I went over if it’s still rolling back the past 7 days. I’ve talked to a lot of the people at our air port and got a lot of comments on this forum it seems nobody really knows the rules.

JJinVA

We are allowed 14 hours per day per DOT, 12 hours per day per center manager unless otherwise instructed to keep running. 10 hours between shifts per DOT, 11 hours between shifts per center manager. 36 hours between weeks per DOT. 36 hours between weeks per center manager. 60 hours per week max, now approved for 70 hours per week max.

Last edited:

Zach30009

We are allowed 14 hours per day per DOT, 12 hours per day per center manager unless otherwise instructed to keep running. 10 hours between shifts per DOT, 11 hours between shifts per center manager. 36 hours between weeks per DOT. 36 hours between weeks per center manager

Well my letter is for not getting a 34 hour break, so like I said seems like nobody knows these rules lol

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I’ve spent a ton of time looking into this online, everywhere I look I see that the reset isn’t mandatory, but if it didn’t reset I went over if it’s still rolling back the past 7 days. I’ve talked to a lot of the people at our air port and got a lot of comments on this forum it seems nobody really knows the rules.

The DOT knows the rules. Look them up and read them for yourself so you will know. They cut your hours this week to keep you from violating again. You will work more hours next week, and you will keep working until your center manager forgets who you are.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
took another posters advice and ignored ups and went and read the official dot rules, looks like the 34 hour reset is optional.

We told you the 34 is optional, this isn't rocket science! Your supervisor is either making arbitrary rules because he/she doesn't understand the HOS rules or is dumbing them down because he/she is tired of babysitting all the fools who can't seem to understand simple math with a few rules thrown in.

You started at 2:15 Monday, what time did you return to the building and how much meal/break did you take before returning to the building? I did the math for you in the other thread, I think you had to be back by 7:02 to not go over your 60 provided you didn't take any meal or break before returning.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We told you the 34 is optional, this isn't rocket science! Your supervisor is either making arbitrary rules because he/she doesn't understand the HOS rules or is dumbing them down because he/she is tired of babysitting all the fools who can't seem to understand simple math with a few rules thrown in.

You started at 2:15 Monday, what time did you return to the building and how much meal/break did you take before returning to the building? I did the math for you in the other thread, I think you had to be back by 7:02 to not go over your 60 provided you didn't take any meal or break before returning.

The 34 reset is optional per DOT HOS, but, there is no contractual violation in regards to UPS mandating a 34 hour reset.

While he didn't violate HOS, he failed to follow instructions by not taking a 34 hour reset, hence the warning letter

JJinVA

Warning letters really take the wind out of peoples sails. I've heard so many drivers say, "I used to hustle, until I got a warning letter over something stupid. Now I just milk them to death"

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
While he didn't violate HOS, he failed to follow instructions by not taking a 34 hour reset, hence the warning letter

How do you know he didn't violate HOS?

He finished Saturday with .80 hours available of his 60 hour week, failed to do a reset by 15 minutes and recaptured 4 hours from the previous Monday. If he was on road more than 4.8 hours Monday he violated.

From reading his post, my impression was that Tuesday he was in trouble for going over 60 hours Monday because he failed to reset.