Keys/Strategies to surviving as a PT Sup?

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Arrive early and know your plan for the day. Learn how your ENTIRE SORT works and the part your crew plays in the overall operation. MOST IMPORTANTLY pay attention to your men and women you supervise. Take a legitimate interest in them and their families, know when their birthdays are and always find a way to say YES to them. Do this and you'll have a crew that will work hard for you all the time. Don't sweat the small stuff. I was a pt supv, and these traits helped me get to where I am now, a feeder driver.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Wait a minute....
All this time I thought seniority rules and not interpersonal skills.
I'm confused.......
I was a good pt supv and was given the opportunity to promote into driving, as an off the street hire, 15 or so years ago. I had a one in a million manager, that rewarded his hard workers. Escaped the dark side...

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I was a good pt supv and was given the opportunity to promote into driving, as an off the street hire, 15 or so years ago. I had a one in a million manager, that rewarded his hard workers. Escaped the dark side...
Pretty amazing for a "21 year old South Cal UPSer" to be a PT Sup at the age of 6.

PrimeUPS

There's nothing to study for. You are asked some basic scenario and math questions. I was also interviewed by my DM but I don't know if that is standard.

Yes, that's part of your panel interview. As far as I know, that interview is still required for MRE just the steps and MAPP itself are different. For example the exam is longer but you can take it from home. There's a page devoted to explaining the process and differences on upsers.

OldMan

I am a retired management person. The best advice I read so far is to treat your employee's with respect and tell them when they are doing a good job. Don't forget to personally greet each one everyday. Then people will know you care. If an employee asks you a question or for something as simple as a tape gun make sure you get it done ASAP. Carry a 3 X 5 to jot down notes so you don't forget. Never guess at an answer or lie. You will lose all your credibility. Sometimes you have to give an employee an answer they will not like. But if you remain consistent and treat all people fairly they will not be mad at you. As far as the Management side goes: Be organized. Get to know your supervisor & Manager. You don't have to kiss his behind. Just make sure to say hi when you have the opportunity.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am a retired management person. The best advice I read so far is to treat your employee's with respect and tell them when they are doing a good job. Don't forget to personally greet each one everyday. Then people will know you care. If an employee asks you a question or for something as simple as a tape gun make sure you get it done ASAP. Carry a 3 X 5 to jot down notes so you don't forget. Never guess at an answer or lie. You will lose all your credibility. Sometimes you have to give an employee an answer they will not like. But if you remain consistent and treat all people fairly they will not be mad at you. As far as the Management side goes: Be organized. Get to know your supervisor & Manager. You don't have to kiss his behind. Just make sure to say hi when you have the opportunity.

Excellent advice, especially the "remain consistent" part. Hourlies are quick to pick up on and potentially exploit any inconsistencies as perceived favoritism, whether true or not.

hyena

359d0yp.gif