Leave of absence_ study abroad

woxy

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and I feel this is the most appropriate place to post this question. Please correct me if I was wrong!

Anyways, I've been working for UPS since I was 18, it's been 5 years. I am a part time supervisor and will be graduating in the spring of 2010, or at least that's the plan. I am trying to convince them to let me take a LOA so I can go study abroad my last semester of college in Santiago, Chile. My full time manager I am convinced doesn't care for me much but I do pretty much exactly what he asks of me. I have been the only female part time sup on our shift in the HUB here for the past year and a half until 2 weeks ago.

Has anyone known anyone who actually was granted a leave of absense to study abroad? Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? It's an experience I will not prevent them from letting me have. If I must I will quit but I don't want to do that.
Pretty much he told me that they're going to deny me. I don't want to go abroad, graduate and then come back jobless. That scares me.

over9five

Staff member
Wow, good question. I hope they give you the LOA, but either way make sure you go!

Have you asked anyone else, the HR manager perhaps?

Welcome to Brown Cafe, good luck, and keep us posted from Chile!

Brown_Eyed_Girl

Even if UPS doesn't have leave of absence, don't let that deter you from an expericence of going overseas to learn.

If that concerned about a job, start sending out your resume before you leave Chili. That way you'll have some possible interviews when you get back to the states. Best of luck to you!

Depending on what you are studying I wonder if it would be possible to get the ok from someone higher up than your mgr. Did you try going to HR? UPS frequently promotes women,especially ones of diverse ethnicity. Perhaps you could sell them on how you could help the company in the south american market once you graduate there.

woxy

I submitted a request with district HR and spoke with my district manager and my HUB sort manager. I was denied. But I am convinced that this is something they have allowed others to do in the past, therefore set a precedent. Someone out here has got to know something about this!!

Cezanne

I hate to be a bringer of bad news, but forget about it. You went through the proper channels and they gave you an answer. To pursue it any further would be a waste of your time and possible resources. Take it from somebody who has over 30 years experience...Best of luck with your overseas study, pretty sure you will do well...:peaceful:

lazydriver

UPS gave special treatment to workers who were in the Olympics and I do remember someone who played for the Miami Dolphins. They gave them time off to train.

RogerThat

Operations Supervisor
I once had an employee take a LOA to run track in high school. Now that is ridiculous. I could not believe it was granted. While I do think that it is screwed up that your management team will not allow you to take time off to further your education, I also agree with previous posts that state you're not going to be able to change it.

rod

Retired 22 years
you son uva of a gun, you beat me to it. A quick look showed me rod didn't post so I thought I had first dibs.

Hey- I can't do everything here. You other posters have to get your fair share of smart ass comments posted also.:wink2:

bigbrownhen

I agree with the others, it is too much of an opportunity to pass up to study abroad. You tried to go through proper chanels, so be it if they cant see past their noses. Yes, it is a tough economy, jobs are hard to come by, but you are young, educated, and seem to have a handle on things. The choice is up to you of course, but look at the pro's and con's of going abroad to study vs the pro's and con's of continuing your career at UPS. Best of luck to you.

UPSGUY72

UPS gave special treatment to workers who were in the Olympics and I do remember someone who played for the Miami Dolphins. They gave them time off to train.

These are special exception if they said no to these people there would have been a backlash from customers. They are not going to just let anyone take a LOA to go to school if they did everyone would do it. That is why they have transfers for PTimers going to college.

Life is made up of a lot of difficult choices. That only you can make but remember you usually only have one chance to do alot of things in life so don't pass them up.

trickpony1

Is the OP aware there may be civil insurrection in that area of the world right now?
Perhaps Baghdad University or the University of Afghanistan might be an alternative.

andrew99

Depending on how badly you want it, you can work FMLA. Basically, just start seeing a doctor as a result of the anxiety you're experiencing from the last few semisters of school. Around your second or third visit mention that you are having more trouble than you anticipated juggling work and school but cannot go without either one and are suffering from lack of sleep and panic attacks.

Eventually, i waited about two weeks from my second visit, go back to the doctor say you need to take time off of work because of anxiety or from the stress, so you can finish your last quarter of school. Considering the relatively short leave requested , start with 90 days, any courteous physician shoulnd't have a beef with this. Also by this point you've established presedence on your medical situation, so even if your first doc doesn't swing your way shop around and eventually you'll find someone compassionate towards situation. FMLA can be granted for up to 6 months. Enjoy your trip abroad, and have fun returning to your job when you get through these rough times.

Hubrat98

Depending on how badly you want it, you can work FMLA. Basically, just start seeing a doctor as a result of the anxiety you're experiencing from the last few semisters of school. Around your second or third visit mention that you are having more trouble than you anticipated juggling work and school but cannot go without either one and are suffering from lack of sleep and panic attacks.

Eventually, i waited about two weeks from my second visit, go back to the doctor say you need to take time off of work because of anxiety or from the stress, so you can finish your last quarter of school. Considering the relatively short leave requested , start with 90 days, any courteous physician shoulnd't have a beef with this. Also by this point you've established presedence on your medical situation, so even if your first doc doesn't swing your way shop around and eventually you'll find someone compassionate towards situation. FMLA can be granted for up to 6 months. Enjoy your trip abroad, and have fun returning to your job when you get through these rough times.

People like you make me sick. You're telling someone who seems to want to do the right thing to further themselves to commit fraud. I would hope the OP has enough sense to ignore this advice. She can either make a difficult decision or start going down the road that many posters on this forum continually complain about; management that does anything to get what they want.

andrew99

People like you make me sick. You're telling someone who seems to want to do the right thing to further themselves to commit fraud. I would hope the OP has enough sense to ignore this advice. She can either make a difficult decision or start going down the road that many posters on this forum continually complain about; management that does anything to get what they want.

The simple fact of the matter is this; an employer has much more of a responsiblity to help maintain a healthy work-life balance with their employees than theyd like to recognize.

I know it is hard for you to imagine, hubrat, but people are selfish and do not look out for you. In all likelyhood, there is something this person's boss could have worked out, but for whatever reason, doesn't like the employee and gave her the cold shoulder.

It isn't like the employee is trying to get paid by UPS to go to school in chile. There are many countries which allow self-imposed sabbaticals for their workers; france, germany and the good ole swiss I know for sure.

Also, it's not fraud if you think about it. Obviously the posted is distracted enough from their own daily routine to come , register here, and post a question for help. Most people won't come on here and admit that they're having trouble with stress or anxiety related to work and school right off the bat. I think it's safe to assume the OP is having a considerable amount of stress from managing work and school. Is it enough to constitute a 90 day LOA through FMLA ? That isn't for us to decide, we're not doctors. What also isn't for us to decide, is where they spend their time going to school, here or chile ... doesn't matter to me.. all that matters to me is that the person gets well enough to continue on with their employment.