Loader to Part Time Supervisor..worth it?

nmang2412

From chicago huh, what center? Dont know too many pros and cons but i know alot regret it in the long run, if your out in a few years go for it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Are you in this company for life or not

If you are here for life then no , if you are only here for a short time then yes

Easy as that

Good point.

Pro's: quick raise, immediate benefits, vacation, sick days, guarantee of 27.5 per week, resume builder
con's: supervise employees who make more than you, caught in the middle between hourlies and higherups, stress nothing is ever good enough, expected to lie, cheat, and steal, little room for promotion

As a part time sup, I wish I would have stayed hourly but I'm off to bigger and better things in a few months
Pretend you are a major league baseball Head Coach.

Everyone reacts differently to directions ... in 40 years, I have never been asked to lie, cheat or steal but I also made it known I would not do so.

From chicago huh, what center? Dont know too many pros and cons but i know a lot regret it in the long run, if your out in a few years go for it.
If you are not looking to be a friend/T Driver, a P/T Sup has many advantages already outlined.

i don't think you understand what leadership means, considering those two things apply to pretty much everyone on earth

As you can tell from many of the non-Management posters on here, they don't understand business or leadership in a management position, bless their hearts.

These people would not be hired into a management or a professional position in any company and are demonstrating their shortcomings in their immature, flippant posts which lack understanding of management in a business environment. They try to hide and mask these shortcomings as demonstrated in this thread. Their remarks do reflect a tough reality of UPS and business in general - their reaction to this reality reflects more on themselves than a sincere answer to your question.

As you go through life, you make choices that affect you and your ability and capabilities to make more money per year and to be selected for intellectually interesting jobs.
The skills and understanding of getting things done through other people as a P/T sup will serve you in future endeavors.
Knowing how to brick load a trailer will not get you far in life.

The key thing is that you make the choice that is best for you and only you understand what direction you want to traverse in your life.

robot

Has A Large Member
Why not stick out being a part timer a few more months? You'll see more of the pros and cons for yourself. You can become a part time sup pretty much anytime. I doubt the opportunity for being a part time sup is ever going to disappear. I see a new part time sup face every few weeks.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
As you can tell from many of the non-Management posters on here, they don't understand business or leadership in a management position, bless their hearts.

These people would not be hired into a management or a professional position in any company and are demonstrating their shortcomings in their immature, flippant posts which lack understanding of management in a business environment. They try to hide and mask these shortcomings as demonstrated in this thread. Their remarks do reflect a tough reality of UPS and business in general - their reaction to this reality reflects more on themselves than a sincere answer to your question.

As you go through life, you make choices that affect you and your ability and capabilities to make more money per year and to be selected for intellectually interesting jobs.
The skills and understanding of getting things done through other people as a P/T sup will serve you in future endeavors.
Knowing how to brick load a trailer will not get you far in life.

The key thing is that you make the choice that is best for you and only you understand what direction you want to traverse in your life.

Aw, come on Hoax. Some of us are smarter than you give us credit for.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Aw, come on Hoax. Some of us are smarter than you give us credit for.

Smarter has nothing to do with it.
As far as I can remember and observe, there is no difference in the inherent intelligence of a driver and a management person.
The biggest difference in a weak management person and a strong management person usually comes down to ignoring conflicting information and emerging information in the execution of a defined goal.
The ability to recognize "conflicting information and emerging information" would be considered a sign of intelligence by most people.
Determined management is more of a mindset than an inherent intelligence.

Smart or smarter is a rather ambiguous term anyway.
A person who decides to go into management if they do not have the management mindset is not a "smart" thing to do regardless of their intelligence.
A person who is adamant about doing things their way and have an idealistic view of the world and goes into management is probably not being too smart.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Who cares what anyone else says? Your building is different from everyone else's here. Ask the other pt sups in your building if they like their job. That should be all the answer you need. If they do, then yay! If not, then buyer beware. One thing for sure, you will learn to cope with stress...or you'll burn out...but other jobs will be much easier after being made airtight by management and hourly's. Good luck!

fightingthegoodfight

After being in 3 different centers (a 6 belt preload / a huge million peices a day overnight / and now at a 1 belt 15 man preload) this is what i can offer.

A few questions:
What shift is this for Preload or Outbound?
How many people work in the center and how many people will you be supervising?
How many other PT sups are going to be on with you?
What is upper managment like?

Working in a HUGE 24 hub loading semis in Central Jersey i can tell you PT sups got tossed around alot. They would come and go new faces all the time they would be transfered all over the building and pretty much be the bitch boy of their boss. But in a crazy huge hub things are already so hectic i barley noticed the supervisors. I think it would be physicaly harder but i would rather supervise outbound than preload.

Now preload is a different game. You have to think these guys have been here for YEARS and im sure you dont even know the 8 and 5 keys yet. You def will have to earn respect deal with the steward who are out to get you and you FT sups bossing you around and union workers demanding things of you out of your hand.

Small centers SUCK everyone is already so close everybody talks and managment can for sure overtake the union if no body steps up at union steward. Big center there are sooo many people soo many Sups and there are more people to handle things.

But if your in it for a few years and you want a quick raise go for it. You can finish school and you might want to keep going up in the company. And if not then you go on with your life

Good luck

fightingthegoodfight

You have more of an opportunity to grow in a bigger center where as in a small center you are just kinda stuck until someone quits, dies or gets fired.

If you feel like you can get along with the workers and with the FT Sups then you shouldn't have a problem. Otherwise you'll hate every waking minute of your life.