New 8's

Ms.PacMan

1045.jpg

Wish I had a picture of me standing next to the truck. Couldn't reach the hand rail. Bottom step hit above my knee. Narrow little cab. Would crack my head on the windsheild wiper motor if I wasn't careful getting in the driver's side and the lovely rear door vertical dead bolt that would also crack your skull if you weren't careful. No power steering but it didn't have any problem unwinding fast enough to nearly break your fingers.

It also came with a rusty steel hand cart!
1045.jpg

Safety first..screw the dam mirror!!! What about yours arms and body hanging out the truck to fold in the mirrors? Dont lose a mirror but its ok to lose a body part!!! Safety my A.............s................s

BrownArmy

Those are great some of the new car You have turn the lights off and leave the blinkers on when make a delivery at night or you wake up the whole neighborhood.

I don't know about the new 700's, but with the new Freightliner 800's, if you turn down the dash brightness switch, it won't beep when the lights
are on and the truck is off. Random.

The new Freightliner '800's are real sweet...drove one for peak and it only had 1000 miles on it. Time will tell though...

I have to say there are a few 300K plus GM '800's in our building which are actually pretty nice and drive well...it all depends on the truck.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
View attachment 8149

Wish I had a picture of me standing next to the truck. Couldn't reach the hand rail. Bottom step hit above my knee. Narrow little cab. Would crack my head on the windsheild wiper motor if I wasn't careful getting in the driver's side and the lovely rear door vertical dead bolt that would also crack your skull if you weren't careful. No power steering but it didn't have any problem unwinding fast enough to nearly break your fingers.

It also came with a rusty steel hand cart!

Many drove 30 plus years in these rigs and retired. Didn't know any better back in the day. I miss the wooden bulkhead in the old 600's with the Best pad lock welded above the door.

i miss the collapsible shelves..and the holes on the floor underneath the break, gas ,and clutch pedals..You could see the road and get your feet wet at the sametime...no safety then...and maybe less safety now!!!just bigger trucks and more packages!!!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
It was always challenging to drive the old trucks that had the flip up drivers seat and no seat belts.

Tiny Panda

It must take you 3 minutes fold in all those mirrors. Remember fold in the mirrors on busy roads and narrow streets. If somebody hit one of those mirror it will be your fault.

Never have, never will. They're so tight you wouldn't be able to fold them in anyway. Even if you did it would take 5 mins to get it back in the right position. The kerb mirror above the door is already cracked where i hit a branch on a country road. Luckily mirrors are seen as consumable. If they treated broken mirrors as avoidable accidents we'd have no drivers left.

oldupsman

i miss the collapsible shelves..and the holes on the floor underneath the break, gas ,and clutch pedals..You could see the road and get your feet wet at the sametime...no safety then...and maybe less safety now!!!just bigger trucks and more packages!!!!!

It was always challenging to drive the old trucks that had the flip up drivers seat and no seat belts.
You 2 are really showing your age. I remember how the cold air used to come up through those holes in the floor
in the winter. We used to shove newspaper in there to try to cut if off. That and the piece of cardboard between the grill
and the radiator to try to keep the radiator warm enough to make the heater work.

kingOFchester

You 2 are really showing your age. I remember how the cold air used to come up through those holes in the floor
in the winter. We used to shove newspaper in there to try to cut if off. That and the piece of cardboard between the grill
and the radiator to try to keep the radiator warm enough to make the heater work.

I have only been driving for 4 years. I have had trucks where I could see the road thru the floor. Stuffed dr bags in the holes during the winter and rain. Had a truck over peak that had a roof repair above the driver seat. When it rained the rain found its way through and would drip cold water right on my head. Rigged a dr bag up like a tent above my head to drain the water to the floor. Had trucks with no heat and wish I knew that tip with the card board.

rod

Retired 22 years

I drove an old P600 for awhile that I had to come to a complete stop in to light a cigaertte otherwise it was too drafty going down the road to get a lighter to work. The cardboard in front of the radiator was a must have.

slantnosechevy

Those holes were for stopping Fred Flintstone style when the wheel cylinders or brake lines gave out from time to time. Nothing like hitting the brakes and having the pedal go to the floor at 55mph with cars in front of you and the light up ahead just turned red.

rod

Retired 22 years
Those holes were for stopping Fred Flintstone style when the wheel cylinders or brake lines gave out from time to time. Nothing like hitting the brakes and having the pedal go to the floor at 55mph with cars in front of you and the light up ahead just turned red.

Then according to some on here all you have to do is set the emergency brake and it will bring you to a safe stop------yeah---sure----good luck with that.

Notretiredyet

What are these new trucks you people speak of? Heard rumors, even saw a few parked along the back fence for a day or two only to disappear. Send a new 12 cube my way, that Benz would work just fine.