New branding!

Serf

I read thru this forum almost every weekday morning over coffee. I browse UPS topics. And I contribute what I can, being from the FedEx side. And I always enjoy what the usual suspects have to say in our small circle. I am surprised Federal Express has not employed some covert reputation defender. All any prospective employee has to do is google a few simple key words and I am sure this forum will show up. Click on the FedEx section and behold the dumpster fire that is.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I read thru this forum almost every weekday morning over coffee. I browse UPS topics. And I contribute what I can, being from the FedEx side. And I always enjoy what the usual suspects have to say in our small circle. I am surprised Federal Express has not employed some covert reputation defender. All any prospective employee has to do is google a few simple key words and I am sure this forum will show up. Click on the FedEx section and behold the dumpster fire that is.

His name is Dano. FedEx has also been known to plant positive comments that counter negative experiences on various sites, so they are actively defending their bad reputation.

It's much more than a dumpster fire... it's become Chernobyl.

Fragiledonthrow

They won't turn express into a contractor model. They will eliminate the express drivers, the fleet, the terminals, the managers, the payroll personnel, and turn over all the packages to the contractors they already have, who can't afford to lose 'their' business, and force them to hire enough people to handle all the express packages, even if it means having drivers return to the hub, or work part time. The potential savings for fedex are so high, and the 'contractors' already have so much invested, that fedex risks little for those potentially enormoius savings. Won't happen overnight, but little by little, it's the future, like Airbnb, and Lyftt, and Uber.

A contractor can hire part timers, full timers, split shifters, or anyone else to deliver packages as needed just as easily as express, and at a lower cost. The proof that it is possible is provided by express drivers here admitting that new hires at express can do the job. It doesn't take a genius to get from point a to point b by a certain time. It means that the 'contractors' will have to be more diligent in overseeing their operation, and becoming or hiring full-time managers, but if they can't or won't, the contractors will lose their tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars they have invested. There is nothing but the egos of express drivers claiming that they are indispensable as evidence against it.

Dam you guys are hard headed. So convinced its going your way. IF THIS EVER HAPPENS. How bout a new twist. What about fred bringing in his clone army of managers. To take yo stuff bro. Why would he want some independent guy like yourself running the show. When he has perfectly good, Memphis trained subordinates who will do it rite. And he'll give you peanuts for your trucks cause you have already made so much moolah from the isp model. But he mite keep your drivers cause they have gratitude and are just happy to have a job. THE END

bacha29

Dam you guys are hard headed. So convinced its going your way. IF THIS EVER HAPPENS. How bout a new twist. What about fred bringing in his clone army of managers. To take yo stuff bro. Why would he want some independent guy like yourself running the show. When he has perfectly good, Memphis trained subordinates who will do it rite. And he'll give you peanuts for your trucks cause you have already made so much moolah from the isp model. But he mite keep your drivers cause they have gratitude and are just happy to have a job. THE END
The two most common fears are these. One. Express drivers who need 15+ years or more to get to the end of the trail are worried about the future security and pay scale of their employment as they well should be. Second. Contractors are worried that they will fall under an avalanche of extremely marginal new classes of freight to have to deliver as they should be in addition to having to find dependable people willing to do the work on a continuous daily basis for a compensation package somewhere in the lower range of the scale. As a result there is only one thing a person can do. Prepare and position themselves as best they can for a wild ride full of unpleasant surprises especially now that we are entering period of potentially extreme market volatility which could be extremely challenging for a business that is driven entirely by consumption and fund managers demanding better earnings performance.

Gone fishin

The two most common fears are these. One. Express drivers who need 15+ years or more to get to the end of the trail are worried about the future security and pay scale of their employment as they well should be. Second. Contractors are worried that they will fall under an avalanche of extremely marginal new classes of freight to have to deliver as they should be in addition to having to find dependable people willing to do the work on a continuous daily basis for a compensation package somewhere in the lower range of the scale. As a result there is only one thing a person can do. Prepare and position themselves as best they can for a wild ride full of unpleasant surprises especially now that we are entering period of potentially extreme market volatility which could be extremely challenging for a business that is driven entirely by consumption and fund managers demanding better earnings performance.
I don't think their worried

vantexan

Not defending their speculating, but if regular mgrs replace contractors then the drivers become employees of the company. There goes their firewall against unionization. I can see a scenario where Ground delivering regional overnight reduces most Express couriers to part-time delivery in the morning, part-time pickup in the afternoon. Especially if Amazon walks. But until They starting adding front counters to Ground facilities, and start informing contractors about upcoming restructuring, this is all speculation.

bacha29

Contractors are already managers of their own corporations with their own EIN's and their own vetted employees. They exist for the purpose of creating the anti union firewall that makes Ground the OPCO with the highest operating margins.The numerous scenarios that have been offered in recent weeks all of which are credible makes one common task for which contractors and employees need to undertake, retire debt as soon as possible and avoid additional borrowing if at all possible because of the expected upward movement of interest rates future borrowing will likely be more costly and peak season overtime may not be as plentiful this year.

dmac1

It's all about money- not ego. He doesn't 'want' contractors. He wants to reduce costs. The upper mgmt won't change- just the job at the bottom of the heap that requires only minutes of training, the driver. Not even the linehaul express driver, necessarily. Not the pilots, not even the guys that unload the trailers and do the sort. I would expect sooner than later that loaders who load the delivery vehicles will all be under the individual contractor, or the drivers will load their own vehicles like HD.

MAKAVELI

It's all about money- not ego. He doesn't 'want' contractors. He wants to reduce costs. The upper mgmt won't change- just the job at the bottom of the heap that requires only minutes of training, the driver. Not even the linehaul express driver, necessarily. Not the pilots, not even the guys that unload the trailers and do the sort. I would expect sooner than later that loaders who load the delivery vehicles will all be under the individual contractor, or the drivers will load their own vehicles like HD.
He's already reduce costs and still has control he's not going to give it up.

MAKAVELI

Riiiight. Cost has been reduced enough. I'm sure fedex is satisfied and won't try to continue to reduce cost.
There is costs in everything even costs related to the contractor model which is going up not down. There's also a huge cost involved in turning the whole division to a contractor model and laying off thousands of workers something which you ground cheerleaders are forgetting

dmac1

There is costs in everything even costs related to the contractor model which is going up not down. There's also a huge cost involved in turning the whole division to a contractor model and laying off thousands of workers something which you ground cheerleaders are forgetting

There's no added cost in Fred S telling contractors to deliver some express packages and diverting them with CONTRACTED linehaul drivers. Attrition will eliminate most of the express drivers, and after a few years of declining income from less work, most express drivers will have already found other employment unless they desire only part time jobs. And even if the cost of the contractor model doubles, it is cheaper than maintaining a fleet, all the physical infrastructure, and all the extra management jobs that the contractor handles. Training, payroll, hiring, vehicle maintenance, etc are all handled by the contractor, enabling fedex to eliminate drivers, but also a huge number of personnel who they need with employees.

You have a very narrow view of what the contractor actually does, and apparently very little appreciation of all the costs associated with having two divisions doing the same thing. You are repeatedly trying to claim it will be an overnight process, which can't even be done, let alone while fedex is transitioning to an ISP work force.

dmac1

Not defending their speculating, but if regular mgrs replace contractors then the drivers become employees of the company. There goes their firewall against unionization. I can see a scenario where Ground delivering regional overnight reduces most Express couriers to part-time delivery in the morning, part-time pickup in the afternoon. Especially if Amazon walks. But until They starting adding front counters to Ground facilities, and start informing contractors about upcoming restructuring, this is all speculation.

As I've repeated multiple times, this isn't going to happen until ISP is in place nationally. Until then, they aren't going to do anything or say anything. And as far as express couriers going part time and remaining employees of fedex, there is no reason for that. An ISP can hire part time drivers cheaper than fedex.

bacha29

There's no added cost in Fred S telling contractors to deliver some express packages and diverting them with CONTRACTED linehaul drivers. Attrition will eliminate most of the express drivers, and after a few years of declining income from less work, most express drivers will have already found other employment unless they desire only part time jobs. And even if the cost of the contractor model doubles, it is cheaper than maintaining a fleet, all the physical infrastructure, and all the extra management jobs that the contractor handles. Training, payroll, hiring, vehicle maintenance, etc are all handled by the contractor, enabling fedex to eliminate drivers, but also a huge number of personnel who they need with employees.

You have a very narrow view of what the contractor actually does, and apparently very little appreciation of all the costs associated with having two divisions doing the same thing. You are repeatedly trying to claim it will be an overnight process, which can't even be done, let alone while fedex is transitioning to an ISP work force.
The sudden and massive disembowelment Mak keeps talking about is not going happen Slowly and methodically Ground will take on a larger and more diversified role. Over time Express will have a smaller but more specialized role with it's focus on those segments of the market that it can do the best job of servicing. No question there will however be fewer full time positions and more part time positions created . For ground contractors it will mean having to up size in order to meet the new contract specifications and handle a whole lot more in the way of marginally profitable freight. So Makaveli if it's any comfort to you contractors are not looking forward to this transition. So put in whatever time you need at Express but assured contrary to your long standing belief the place can and does run without you and rather well at that.

Gone fishin

As I've repeated multiple times, this isn't going to happen until ISP is in place nationally. Until then, they aren't going to do anything or say anything. And as far as express couriers going part time and remaining employees of fedex, there is no reason for that. An ISP can hire part time drivers cheaper than fedex.
You do realize people are leaving express making 15 -18 an hour. Why why why do you keep saying people will for less. Express is much more difficult than ground with time commitments Please stop.
Express will never put their top money making services in jeopardy. My 14 yr old kids understand this, why can't some of you. Sttttoooppppp it

Gone fishin

The sudden and massive disembowelment Mak keeps talking about is not going happen Slowly and methodically Ground will take on a larger and more diversified role. Over time Express will have a smaller but more specialized role with it's focus on those segments of the market that it can do the best job of servicing. No question there will however be fewer full time positions and more part time positions created . For ground contractors it will mean having to up size in order to meet the new contract specifications and handle a whole lot more in the way of marginally profitable freight. So Makaveli if it's any comfort to you contractors are not looking forward to this transition. So put in whatever time you need at Express but assured contrary to your long standing belief the place can and does run without you and rather well at that.
No. Express will be express as it is now if not more. Quit

MAKAVELI

Yeah sorry that's not going to happen.

dmac1

Why do you think an ISP with years of experience and tens of thousands of dollars at risk if he can't meet time commitments, can't get people to deliver a few packages by a certain time?????

Minimum wage is headed to $15 an hour. $15- $18 an hour isn't going to look that great.