New hire, package driver

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Inoscopedjfk, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Inoscopedjfk

Inoscopedjfk New Member

My first post, im a new hire off the street. I was hired to be a permanent package car driver. I start tomorrow. I went up there today to get my id card. Im kinda clueless on what ill be doing tomorrow since i am completely new. I finished training last week. I know ill find out tomorrow but i dont like not having a plan. Will i be riding with someone or supervisor riding with me...i been looking at threads to get tips and advice..i appreciate everything yall have posted.

2. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

Ate you positive you are not a seasonal hire?

3. Inoscopedjfk

Inoscopedjfk New Member

They told me from the interview with h.r. that it is for permanent since people are retiring and some cant pass the qualifications.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

I only ask because seasonal period starts Oct 15th

5. Inoscopedjfk

Inoscopedjfk New Member

When i did training, he even mentioned that is for permanent and not seasonal. And explained the dfference with seniority.

6. Inoscopedjfk

Inoscopedjfk New Member

I will ask again tomorrow morning but i was told its permanent from hr. If its seasonal, someone lied to me.

7. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

I hope it is, but you wouldn't be the first person HR has lied to. The threads are littered with stories about that

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Inoscopedjfk

Inoscopedjfk New Member

The training guy even explained the seasonal and permanent and it showed on his paper wh was perm and who was seasonal but yeah, ill ask when i get there. I just wish i knew more about the route or what im even doing..either riding with or having supervisor ride with me. Im trying to remember how to work the diad and functions from my notes..

9. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

You'll ride with a supervisor your first day or two

10. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

Take a water jug,notepad, the supervisor will be driving. Take notes of where to park at locations and what doors to go thru to get signatures. After a week you won't need the notes but it helps you get thru the week with all the thoughts you'll want to write down. Take some cash if you don't pack a lunch, but I'd pack a lunch.

11. Inoscopedjfk

Inoscopedjfk New Member

Thankyou for the advice and letting me know whats going on. He told me be there at 0840 so tomorrow I start.

12. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

Good luck, it will seem overwhelming to begin with....
    but like any new job, there is a learning curve.

Be careful with that truck; drive it like it's in a bubble.

13. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

If you really want to score some points be there....prepared at 8:15, first impression goes a long way with these guys.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Inoscopedjfk

Inoscopedjfk New Member

Yea. I was nervous for the class but after the 3rd day and driving, i was relaxed and good to go.

15. Inoscopedjfk

Inoscopedjfk New Member

8:15 it is. I appreciate the tip.

16. nystripe96

nystripe96 Active Member

The first few days will seem overwhelming. By the end of your second week you'll have a surge of confidence and some days will come easy to you. Stay determined and highly attentive throughout. Best of luck

17. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

By December, the truck will be jammed beyond belief.

18. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to BrownCafe, and good luck with the new job!

19. Inoscopedjfk

Inoscopedjfk New Member

Appreciate it.

20. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

Thanks