New members should not be

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Rod, much like most of the drivers from his era, would be ill-equipped to deal with the ever-increasing production demands on today's UPS. I know for a fact that there is no way that Old Bud (the driver who had my route previously) could deliver even half of what is on the run today without calling for help. That is not a slam against any of the old timers--this is not the UPS that they used to work for and they would be hard-pressed to keep up. Hell, we have kids in their 20's who have a hard time keeping up.

His stories of a UPS long gone by have little relevance to today's drivers.

Rod, much like most of the drivers from his era, would be ill-equipped to deal with the ever-increasing production demands on today's UPS. I know for a fact that there is no way that Old Bud (the driver who had my route previously) could deliver even half of what is on the run today without calling for help. That is not a slam against any of the old timers--this is not the UPS that they used to work for and they would be hard-pressed to keep up. Hell, we have kids in their 20's who have a hard time keeping up.His stories of a UPS long gone by have little relevance to today's drivers.
Ill agree to disagree

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't read over 90% of the threads on here and if it is obvious it is a helper, union, etc. related thread (of which I don't have any interest), I simply don't read it.

seamoose213

Maybe you should read between the lines if you're wondering if this is the place for you. When the rest of this forum wakes up, you might find a better answer. But really, if you and you're driver are concerned about your SPORH, contact management, you can put your friendly letter in there.
...I didn't say that me and my driver were concerned about that, the only thing we are concerned about is finishing up early and going home to our women, and that's exactly what that gets us. But as a big sports fan, I personally enjoy checking out stat lines just like on my Fantasy league, and at the end of the day I think it's cool to be able to see your numbers and that you are doing a good job. Cut that contact management/friendly letter BS out, it just makes you sound like a jerk-off :peaceful:.

loadfaster

Yeah, they do give out the site at the orientation thing, it's in the packet. Swear. Although if they're seasonal, why bother? Theyre done in two weeks tops now anyway..maybe chalk posts from seasonal folks up to being part and parcel of all that peak-related hell were dealing with.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Rod, much like most of the drivers from his era, would be ill-equipped to deal with the ever-increasing production demands on today's UPS. I know for a fact that there is no way that Old Bud (the driver who had my route previously) could deliver even half of what is on the run today without calling for help. That is not a slam against any of the old timers--this is not the UPS that they used to work for and they would be hard-pressed to keep up. Hell, we have kids in their 20's who have a hard time keeping up.

His stories of a UPS long gone by have little relevance to today's drivers.

The job of package delivery is easier today than it was 25 years ago.

Today you actually know what stops are in your package car when you get into it in the morning. Today (most of us at least) have package cars that are bigger and have basic ergonomic features such as powert steering and low steps that yesterdays vehicles lacked. Today there is a basic level of accountability and transparency regarding the workload that was totally lacking in the years when packages werent tracked.

25 years ago this month, I was dispatched in a P-500 with over 500 stops in it. Half were brickloaded in the car, half under the belt. The entire focus was on getting the packages out of the building, so I had to go out on route, find a garage to empty the car into, and come back to reload. At 11:30 that night I brought something like 150 missed stops back, and there were still more sitting in the garage that didnt get delivered for days. None were recorded as missed. There was no tracking, there was no planning, there were no cellphones or text messages or timely communication of any kind. My route was known as the "abortion car" and my only purpose as a driver in the grand scheme of things was to "get the belt clean" and allow my management team to maintain the illusion that their "plan" was working. You dont see that sort of thing anymore in todays UPS, simply by virtue of the fact that missed packages can no longer be hidden in such a manner. If you took a driver of today, transported him 25 yrs back in time and gave him a brickloaded P-5 or P-6 car along with a map and and a clipboard full of paper 50-liner delivery records...he/she would FAIL big time.

rod

Retired 22 years

Today you actually know what stops are in your package car when you get into it in the morning. Today (most of us at least) have package cars that are bigger and have basic ergonomic features such as powert steering and low steps that yesterdays vehicles lacked. Today there is a basic level of accountability and transparency regarding the workload that was totally lacking in the years when packages werent tracked.

25 years ago this month, I was dispatched in a P-500 with over 500 stops in it. Half were brickloaded in the car, half under the belt. The entire focus was on getting the packages out of the building, so I had to go out on route, find a garage to empty the car into, and come back to reload. At 11:30 that night I brought something like 150 missed stops back, and there were still more sitting in the garage that didnt get delivered for days. None were recorded as missed. There was no tracking, there was no planning, there were no cellphones or text messages or timely communication of any kind. My route was known as the "abortion car" and my only purpose as a driver in the grand scheme of things was to "get the belt clean" and allow my management team to maintain the illusion that their "plan" was working. You dont see that sort of thing anymore in todays UPS, simply by virtue of the fact that missed packages can no longer be hidden in such a manner. If you took a driver of today, transported him 25 yrs back in time and gave him a brickloaded P-5 or P-6 car along with a map and and a clipboard full of paper 50-liner delivery records...he/she would FAIL big time.

Thats a good way to put it. I'm will be the first to admit that its a different UPS today than it was 11 years ago when I retired. I will also say that as I had no trouble going from working on paper to entering UPS's DIAD era I would have no problem learning the gizzmos of today. I will say that with the E911 rural address system and GPS this and cell phones that, learning a rural delivery route today has to be a cake walk compared to back when the only help you had was to stop at a farmhouse and ask questions (such as "do you know so and so?" and "where the hell am I"). Upstate tries to come off as a "super UPSman" who knows eveything but in the end we all know what a D-bag he is. Long story short- I would have NO problem adapting to the "new" UPS ---- but they would have a problem adapting to me because I never was one to roll over and play dead.. I also believe that a driver of today would be able to adapt to the way it was done years ago - but the first thing they would have to learn is the way the guys stuck together back then and fought for their rights.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
No matter the era you still have the same variety of drivers. I see some of the garbage routes some of the young guys take out and wonder how they do it. Then I think back to the days when I did the same thing. It is harder for the milkmen to stay under the radar now days.

wayfair

swollen member

Today you actually know what stops are in your package car when you get into it in the morning. Today (most of us at least) have package cars that are bigger and have basic ergonomic features such as powert steering and low steps that yesterdays vehicles lacked.

you forgot to mention keyless entry, keyless start,(no keys!) bulkhead door unlocks and sometimes opens, most new Pc's are automatic...

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

On the flip side, most of the chronic complaining comes from drivers who spent the early reigns of their career delivering 90-stops, sheeting on a clipboard & not having to worry about time commitments (deliver air at 10:41? just write it down as 10:20) and having time to "get to know" their customers. Sure, now they may have better equipment (automatics, lower steps, power steering, etc.) and better technology (EDD, GPS on their phones, etc.) but they are upset about the increased workload (and heavier packages) and increased scrutiny (finite, enforced time limits; telematics, cannot B.S. endlessly w/customers, etc.) Those drivers will argue with you that the job was much, much easier 25 years ago.

H

htown0721

I just don't answer there posts, it's the same questions, over and over ................

Honestly, I think they need to first ask their driver, if they get no help from him or anyone else then come here and first perform a search. If they still cannot find what they are looking for then feel free to post. But I see a few people state they are employees and free to post that is true but the answers your going to get after the same question has been asked five times already are going to be a joke.

gostillerz

You shouldn't be able to make a thread until you have 20 posts. No more "Where's my package?", no more "If I have a felony...", etc.

gostillerz

Bless their hearts but do they give out the Browncafe website at helper orientation?

In 20 years, I'll be saying saying this too.

Hell, my great grandfather Jebediah worked for UPS in the 1930's. Built a package car with his bare hands and delivered 900 stops per day. Stong as a mule he was, and pleased the ladies to boot. He told me you kids have it easy!

S

serenity now

keep posting, rod * the history of any organization is a continuum * to appreciate where we are today, you need to know where we have been * to ignore or dismiss the past is a short-sighted position * every brick of the future will be laid upon courses established from the past