New sorter in small sorts

drazzy93

So, I started working at UPS around 3 months ago. I started out as a bagger in Small Sorts, and I was REALLY good at my job. All the sorters would always approach me to tell me how much they loved working with me because I was so good at bagging. I work at a really high volume location, at least 5k packages every night. Despite this, I found myself growing jaded with bagging, so I suggested to my supervisor that I start sorting because it's more fast paced.

To my surprise I started almost instantly. I've been a sorter for the past 2 days, and it appears that the change is officially permanent. So, I have some questions. Is this a "promotion?" I know that sorters make more than loaders, but I'm not sure if this is the case with small sorts. My job sure as hell is a lot more difficult than bagging, but I don't know if the 1 dollar raise applies to small sorts. Could anyone enlighten a noob on this?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I dont believe it applies to the small sort.
You just put the box in the bin with the flashing light?

PT Car Washer

So, I started working at UPS around 3 months ago. I started out as a bagger in Small Sorts, and I was REALLY good at my job. All the sorters would always approach me to tell me how much they loved working with me because I was so good at bagging. I work at a really high volume location, at least 5k packages every night. Despite this, I found myself growing jaded with bagging, so I suggested to my supervisor that I start sorting because it's more fast paced.

To my surprise I started almost instantly. I've been a sorter for the past 2 days, and it appears that the change is officially permanent. So, I have some questions. Is this a "promotion?" I know that sorters make more than loaders, but I'm not sure if this is the case with small sorts. My job sure as hell is a lot more difficult than bagging, but I don't know if the 1 dollar raise applies to small sorts. Could anyone enlighten a noob on this?
Depends on if your Hub has the smart scanners. Does the sorter scan the package and the correct bin lights up? Sounds like this is the case if you learned the sort almost instantly. No raise as it is no longer a skilled position.

drazzy93

Depends on if your Hub has the smart scanners. Does the sorter scan the package and the correct bin lights up? Sounds like this is the case if you learned the sort almost instantly. No raise as it is no longer a skilled position.

Hmm yes, that is what happens. However, I think that my hub is a little different because the supervisor there takes the sorting job much more seriously than bagging. She told me to keep an eye on my stats, and the first day was basically a test run to see if I could really do it. A coworker told me that sorters get paid more which I can understand because it is a much more fast-paced job than bagging.

Yesterday I went in to work, and I was literally throwing packages second of my shift. It was a little overwhelming not getting to take a breather or something.

drazzy93

I did that for 4 days. Not as easy as it sounds.

Actually it is exactly as easy as it sounds.

Yes, it is generally easy, but the thing is that at my hub we get TONS of packages. We have to do 5,000 to 6,000 packages in less than 3.5 hours. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into when I suggested I start sorting, but on my test run I started to regret it slightly because at least when I was bagging I could always afford to take a breather.

With sorting I am literally throwing packages around from the second I clock in, and to the second I clock out. I didn't even have the time to drink water last night. It is easy, but it is more responsibility because as my supervisor told me "Sorting is the most important position" so I have a feeling the raise is happening, but I just wanted to see what everyone on here thought.

I'm realizing more and more that no two UPS locations are the exact same, and I keep forgetting that. I tried to google my question, but I kept coming across threads discussing specific locations that seemed WILDLY different from mine. Like, forever bags, PO bags, tote bags? Automated small sorts? WHAT. So, I guess I'm just going to ask my supervisor about it. Still, I reiterate that they take the position seriously. The supervisor kept asking me if I was sure, and she had to go through our FT supervisor to go through a process.

Then my "test" was sorting as a test run for one day, and my FT supervisor told me that he wouldn't officiate my position as a sorter until he heard back about the missorts. If I had gotten any missorts they would have stuck me back in bagging, and I have a couple of coworkers who failed this first step, and are currently stuck in bagging. The coworker who told me about the 1 dollar increase tried to become a sorter, but she failed so she's stuck in this limbo of bagging all day. She actually seems a little jealous of me since she's been there longer than me.

My FT supervisor does NOT allow just anyone to become a sorter, and it does seem like a big deal where I am that I became a sorter. I know there were a lot of baggers who tried, but failed because they couldn't keep up with the packages. So, I can imagine the $1/hr applying just for the workload alone.

1000RR

If your small sort uses the next generation system you will not get the dollar raise. While you are sorting do you scan the box and put it where the blinking lights are? That is what the next gen system does. We got it here a few years ago. If you were certified to sort in small sort before the new system was implemented you keep the extra $1. Those who went to small sort after would not receive the dollar. If you are in a hub you are most certainly on the next gen system. I think even some of the bigger centers are having it implemented as well.

drazzy93

If your small sort uses the next generation system you will not get the dollar raise. While you are sorting do you scan the box and put it where the blinking lights are? That is what the next gen system does. We got it here a few years ago. If you were certified to sort in small sort before the new system was implemented you keep the extra $1. Those who went to small sort after would not receive the dollar. If you are in a hub you are most certainly on the next gen system. I think even some of the bigger centers are having it implemented as well.

Well, I'll have to ask my supervisors what's up with this. My coworker told me that the sorters there get the 1 dollar raise, and she's been there for a long time so she's super knowledgeable.

jose93209

Hmm yes, that is what happens. However, I think that my hub is a little different because the supervisor there takes the sorting job much more seriously than bagging. She told me to keep an eye on my stats, and the first day was basically a test run to see if I could really do it. A coworker told me that sorters get paid more which I can understand because it is a much more fast-paced job than bagging.

Yesterday I went in to work, and I was literally throwing packages second of my shift. It was a little overwhelming not getting to take a breather or something.

Lol, I work on the sort aisle and I always take breathers. I suggest you move there. Less stress, dollar raise if you pass the sort test, and you can take a lunch and eat between trailers. At least that's what 90% of the rest of us do. In our hub, the sorters on the aisle get called more to double around peak so more chances to make more money too even if you did just start a few months ago.

jose93209

Also, never pass up on drinking water or filling up whatever water container you have. If you faint because of dehydration, it's on you.

drazzy93

Lol, I work on the sort aisle and I always take breathers. I suggest you move there. Less stress, dollar raise if you pass the sort test, and you can take a lunch and eat between trailers. At least that's what 90% of the rest of us do. In our hub, the sorters on the aisle get called more to double around peak so more chances to make more money too even if you did just start a few months ago.

You suggest I move to the sort aisle? Is that sarcasm, or is sort aisle different from sorting in small sorts? And there is almost no way for me to take breathers while sorting ins mall sorts because I have to move around like crazy. I'm literally scanning from the moment I clock in to the moment I clock out, and I suppose next time I do it I'm going to take a break regardless of whether or not the table is completely bare of packages.

I'm still new, but I'm not too bad for a first-timer with sorting. My PPH was 900 on my second day, and there were some who were behind me but some who were at like 1,200. I hope to be that good next week, but we'll see. I almost feel like it's straight up impossible to do 1,200 without missorts, but I guess there are ways I could go at that pace while doing my work accurately.

The only reason I had to pass up on drinking water was because I didn't bring my water since when I was bagging I never really had to worry about that. I'm going to make it a point to do that from now and on though.

jaker

trolling
You got to love new people , this 5k packages you are doing is that only you or the whole hub

I ask because 5k for the hub is not a lot

drazzy93

You got to love new people , this 5k packages you are doing is that only you or the whole hub

I ask because 5k for the hub is not a lot

... LOL. There are hubs that do 5k in total?! 5,000 per aisle, obviously. Last night I had a pretty easy shift and I only did 2,500 which was nice for me but since I was only sorting for the second time so it was a little tough for me to keep up with.

drazzy93

I'm honestly cracking up at the notion that I could have meant 5k for the entire hub. There are around 15 people in my hub, so that would mean, what, only 300 per person averaged out? That would be such a slow and boring day I would probably quit from the boredom alone. Small sorts is generally "easy" but at my location EVERY single department is difficult.

I've seen people come and go because most can't handle the amount of work that my location has on a daily basis. 5,000 when we're having a particularly busy day, 2,500 is a pretty slow day. How could I have a 900 PPH for sorting if there were only 5,000 in total at my hub?! I don't even want to begin to think how many packages there are in total at my location every day.

jaker

trolling
... LOL. There are hubs that do 5k in total?! 5,000 per aisle, obviously. Last night I had a pretty easy shift and I only did 2,500 which was nice for me but since I was only sorting for the second time so it was a little tough for me to keep up with.
Maybe I am old , but these numbers are not making sense to me , but then again you said everybody takes it really seriously there

jaker

trolling
I'm honestly cracking up at the notion that I could have meant 5k for the entire hub. There are around 15 people in my hub, so that would mean, what, only 300 per person averaged out? That would be such a slow and boring day I would probably quit from the boredom alone. Small sorts is generally "easy" but at my location EVERY single department is difficult.

I've seen people come and go because most can't handle the amount of work that my location has on a daily basis. 5,000 when we're having a particularly busy day, 2,500 is a pretty slow day. How could I have a 900 PPH for sorting if there were only 5,000 in total at my hub?! I don't even want to begin to think how many packages there are in total at my location every day.
Sorry to tell you if you only have 15 people working in your hub , then you are in a small hub