New UPS nonsense, has this started in your center yet?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
For the purpose of reports and numbers related to ORION, we are now having to be issued a second DIAD when we assist (take stops off) another driver! Seriously! Either you have to drive all the way back to the building and go all the way back to the other driver or someone inside the building has to drive all the way out to give you a new DIAD. You can no longer transfer the work on your current DIAD because it effects the damn ORION reports.

Clearly, it isn't about saving miles or time or money. It is now about reports, like everything else at UPS. Orion was created to save miles but now where going to add tons of miles to get second DIADs for no reason. Good one! God help our company, we're are going to need it with this absurd management.

What I don't understand is that upper management creates these tactics to make numbers look good to them knowing full well they're just manipulating the reports. So what's the point in it knowing that the numbers are faked?

I had a diad shut down on road once and called the pm supe to let him know. He offered to bring it to me so I just chilled in the meantime. When he got there the diad he brought me was still in BOOT MODE from some one who was already at home. So he went all the way back and this time got my edd in the next one. Took about an hour in all, and all OT. I still get a kick out of that. One of the few things I actually do miss.

S

selfcancelsignal

So is Orion beneficial or not?...just never understood, it's supposed to tell u which stop to deliver next but it's not like it moves the pkg in the truck for you so I would think it could take longer if your digging for or can't locate the pkg.
It's good to decent on rural routes, especially when you can walk down the center from the get go. It's terrible on in town runs when it has you make left turns on busy 4 lane streets just to satisfy the trace. You can still beat the miles & be close to the trace if you run it the way you always have, & my supe told me as long as I was under on the miles, he didn't really care about the trace. RDO it is on my route then.

S

selfcancelsignal

Lately we have someone most days that runs about 50 stops in the morning, and then runs off misloads the rest of the day. Driver puts on up to 170 miles a day.
There should be a 22.3 gig for this nationwide in this guys opinion.

Chnandler Bong

It's good to decent on rural routes, especially when you can walk down the center from the get go. It's terrible on in town runs when it has you make left turns on busy 4 lane streets just to satisfy the trace. You can still beat the miles & be close to the trace if you run it the way you always have, & my supe told me as long as I was under on the miles, he didn't really care about the trace. RDO it is on my route then.

I guess it's possible in some areas, if it was implemented well...but I'm usually about 30 miles under my Orion forecast when I don't follow it. The first thing I do on my rural route is turn it to RDO and I've never heard a peep.

The guy running the rural route next to mine followed Orion 100% for several weeks just to prove a point. He was up by about 70 miles a day and running out of DOT hours by Friday. They eventually told him to go back to what he was doing before.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Lol we don't even have enough functioning DIADS to run all of the routes in our center, this will never happen, and if it does, I'll screw it up on purpose for fun

Every peak, you have a helper diad tied into your route that you take out.
It doesn't affect your timecard or numbers, just adds to it.
There are plenty of Diad IV and III's to go around if need be.

This company has been run in the last 15 years by people who never stepped foot in a package car.
Even if they did 30 days, they were babied and pampered 30 days of work.
These non-drivers have to justify their jobs by implementing new ideas that don't work in the real world environment.
Nothing surprises me anymore from these people whose only plane of existence is to beat and pummel an already stressful job.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
For the purpose of reports and numbers related to ORION, we are now having to be issued a second DIAD when we assist (take stops off) another driver! Seriously! Either you have to drive all the way back to the building and go all the way back to the other driver or someone inside the building has to drive all the way out to give you a new DIAD. You can no longer transfer the work on your current DIAD because it effects the damn ORION reports.

Clearly, it isn't about saving miles or time or money. It is now about reports, like everything else at UPS. Orion was created to save miles but now where going to add tons of miles to get second DIADs for no reason. Good one! God help our company, we're are going to need it with this absurd management.

What I don't understand is that upper management creates these tactics to make numbers look good to them knowing full well they're just manipulating the reports. So what's the point in it knowing that the numbers are faked?

It has always been "that number on a piece of paper."

UPS doesn't care how much money it takes to meet that "number." As long as they meet that number, they think they are doing good.

Waste millions to meet a number.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Forced stupidity for the sake of generating irrelevant and dishonest metrics is the foundation of the UPS business model.

Its what we do.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I hear you. But you must agree this practice appears to be a great deal of extra effort to make a number on the report look better than the actual results.
I look at it like this. It's not the drivers fault that we had to give him extra stops. He's going to miss his ORION trace % because of it. If that happens I have to talk to him about following ORION and why he has to do it. By giving him another DIAD I save the talk with, the ORION trace % is fine, and everybody above me is happy at the end of the day.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Every peak, you have a helper diad tied into your route that you take out.
It doesn't affect your timecard or numbers, just adds to it.
There are plenty of Diad IV and III's to go around if need be.
Unfortunately all those extra DIADs are sent to us in November and have to be returned in January.

ManInBrown

Yup. Doing it here also. But instead of bringing a driver a second DIAD. They will instruct the driver to just deliver everything without sheeting it on road. They want you to peel the PAL label off every package and when you get back to the building, they will have a DIAD waiting and you sheet everything then. I refused to do it one night. Told them if they wanted me to help I'm sheeting the stops on my board. I'm not leaving a SIG required and taking the fall for it. Never any fallout from refusing. Was told to bring it in. They got another driver to help

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Yup. Doing it here also. But instead of bringing a driver a second DIAD. They will instruct the driver to just deliver everything without sheeting it on road. They want you to peel the PAL label off every package and when you get back to the building. they will have a DIAD waiting and you sheet everything then. I refused to do it one night. Told them if they wanted me to help I'm sheeting the stops on my board. I'm not leaving a SIG required and taking the fall for it. Never any fallout from refusing. Was told to bring it in. They got another driver to help

I would not do that.

JL 0513

Yup. Doing it here also. But instead of bringing a driver a second DIAD. They will instruct the driver to just deliver everything without sheeting it on road. They want you to peel the PAL label off every package and when you get back to the building, they will have a DIAD waiting and you sheet everything then. I refused to do it one night. Told them if they wanted me to help I'm sheeting the stops on my board. I'm not leaving a SIG required and taking the fall for it. Never any fallout from refusing. Was told to bring it in. They got another driver to help

No way! So the rule about only sheeting at location is suddenly out the window?

ManInBrown

No way! So the rule about only sheeting at location is suddenly out the window?
You know how it goes. When it fits there needs it's fine. I didn't work Black Friday. A fairly new on-car ran my route. Sheeted all my businesses closed. On Monday I asked my stops if they were here on Friday. Almost all were. Imagine if one of us sheeted stops closed that were open. You'd be walked off

JackStraw

I look at it like this. It's not the drivers fault that we had to give him extra stops. He's going to miss his ORION trace % because of it. If that happens I have to talk to him about following ORION and why he has to do it. By giving him another DIAD I save the talk with, the ORION trace % is fine, and everybody above me is happy at the end of the day.
Why would you even bother to talk to him if you know it's not his fault? It's nickel-dime, ticky-tack :censored2:e like that that gives drivers a bad attitude. Now we're getting pulled in the office for silly stuff like fat-fingering a punch. center manager must get a boner or something when he can bring a driver in the office for something as ridiculous as not putting your lunch in.