New vs Old drivers

Way back then we made every effort to find someone. I realize now they would be on you like stink on S for "wasting time" but back then it was truly united parcel SERVICE.
I will spend 10 minutes looking for a house. GPS in the diad helps to get close or even if it actually exists. Sucks tho when I get to the door and the warning beeps at me. Telling me the driver leaves it elsewhere.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
And back in the day there was a long wait for package car AND feeder drivers. In my building we can't get guys to go from inside to driving. So much so that we have been hiring feeder drivers off the street. So now a days you don't HAVE to "pay your dues."

I personally think it's better if you have done other more physical jobs within UPS so you can appreciate truly what an opportunity it is to be able to be a feeder driver. It does irritate me a little that younger drivers give me crap about coming out to feeders and bumping them down a spot in seniority. They don't think it's "fair". But to oppose that thought, how is it "fair" that some 21 year old kid gets hired, puts in his 30 days and then signs the feeder intent list and is making $40k+ (1st year at 40 hours/week) without putting in a real effort in the company. But in the end, we all use the opportunities that are given to us.

Speaking of feeders, we got another pair of HARPA hub specials in our center. Some genius stacked a set of giant Wayfair boxes on TOP and it came crashing down on one of our poor new loaders.

MethodsMan

A decent number of the older guys in my building were off the street hires into package back in the 80's. I spent almost 6 years toiling around in the hub before I finally got a shot at the big leagues (package). There's drivers being hired now with under a year in the hub. I could've gone to feeders 3 years ago. But, I don't want to. I enjoy the daily grind.

I don't really care either way. Life isn't fair. Did this old timer need a shoulder to cry on?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
A decent number of the older guys in my building were off the street hires into package back in the 80's. I spent almost 6 years toiling around in the hub before I finally got a shot at the big leagues (package). There's drivers being hired now with under a year in the hub. I could've gone to feeders 3 years ago. But, I don't want to. I enjoy the daily grind.

I don't really care either way. Life isn't fair. Did this old timer need a shoulder to cry on?

You have to remember that in the late '70's and early '80's there were a lot of areas growing rapidly.

I got hired off the street at an 18 trip center that grew in about three years to almost 30 trips.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
One thing all this talk makes me think of, is that an old timer told me 11 years age, what UPS wants most, is Teamster vs Teamster. They do lots of things to divide us. It is more important than ever to not get mad at your loader, your fellow driver, your helper, or anyone except management. They are the ones that drive numbers and crush us all. Think about it, who cares if someone is off the street, or inside for 11 years, or feeders after 2 or 20. We need to be TEAMsters, until we get the contract the way WE want it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I will spend 10 minutes looking for a house. GPS in the diad helps to get close or even if it actually exists. Sucks tho when I get to the door and the warning beeps at me. Telling me the driver leaves it elsewhere.

OMG---it even tells you that? You guys really are robots now days.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
OMG---it even tells you that? You guys really are robots now days.
Ya the technology is so smart that it waits until you've already stop completed it to tell you that you did it wrong lol, eliminating management jobs I guess.

Half the time it's a false flag anyway. Guy usually releases at apt door and you're gonna leave it at leasing office because no one's there, stuff like that.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ya the technology is so smart that it waits until you've already stop completed it to tell you that you did it wrong lol, eliminating management jobs I guess.

Half the time it's a false flag anyway. Guy usually releases at apt door and you're gonna leave it at leasing office because no one's there, stuff like that.

I'm not surprised the info is wrong a lot of the times--I was surprised they waste peoples time entering all this crap into the system.

It will beep when you hit dr location (fd, porch, etc) and again when you stop complete. Driver possibly indirects in town or maybe leaves at gate.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It will beep when you hit dr location (fd, porch, etc) and again when you stop complete. Driver possibly indirects in town or maybe leaves at gate.
I've been out a while, thank god, hard to remember the details. Shouldn't even think about it I'll get package nightmares tonight.

Sometimes it will do it when you are at the same place you always deliver. Electronic brain fart.
Did not know that. Thought it was only because driver left it in town at someone's work, and system now thinks that's the right location.