Newbie seeks guidance

HeyNowBrownCow

Your poor planning is not my issue.
Hi Brothers & Sisters in brown-
I'm new here and with UPS only a few months working PT AM pre-load, hoping to get some guidance on what's a good route to move up in pay and still have a life. (I know, my life ended when I signed it away in brown ink;-)
I've been approached to become a PT supe.... but thankfully found BC and decided NO Way! Thanks to Cheryl and all the posters here for saving my arse & soul.
I'm not convinced becoming a PC driver is for me, I have a toddler at home but I AM wondering about Feeder driving and what the advantages/disadvantages are??
Do I tell my center manager I want to sign up? How does it work? I don't have a CDL but have always wanted to drive big rigs.
If anyone has some suggestions, esp. feeder drivers, please chime in.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
You need a cdl to drive feeders. You'd have to get that first. Do you have a lot of feeder runs in yiur building?? If you do you would have to but in a letter to hr that you are cdl qualified.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Feeder you'll be working nights for your kids childhood likely.

Nothing short of article 22 that's full time is decent for family really.

HeyNowBrownCow

Pardon my ignorance but I read somewhere that UPS will send you for a CDL? Maybe I should have asked but feeder drivers drive the trailers between the hubs?? Am I correct in my term?
I'm in Bethlehem, PA. No idea how many runs nor how to find out. Do I chat with the drivers and ask?
I'd like to learn and earn not churn and burn(out) in preload. The center seems like a den of craziness. The supes and managers don't seem like they're managing and the workers seem like zombies. After a few months (started just before xmas), I now understand the lack of passion but the lack of teamwork is numbing. I think I'd rather be out on my own if there's not going to be any teamwork.

HeyNowBrownCow

Are you saying that nearly any (good paying) job at UPS means you won't have family time?
This part time gig works right now, esp being on AM (no daycare needed) but I'd like to get training that I could apply in other places in the future (If I decide to jump ship).
If I read Art 22 correctly, I need 1yr in to apply for a transfer from PT to FT?
Is it possible there are no FT positions in my center? It appears that way.

Pooter

UPS will not send a Part timer to get a CDL. Decent jobs within Ups takes years of seniority. At your level you are better off getting a CDL and finding a different company to work for.

If you want to stick around UPS, Saturday Air Driver gives you a little more money and experience but that also depends on seniority and availability of bids.

PT Car Washer

In my area you have to have a year safe driving in package cars. Art 22.3 is an option but who knows when there will be an opening. Some of our preloaders drive air on Saturdays and during the week when needed for extra hours. Also gain some experience to see if you would like package cars.

HeyNowBrownCow

What would be a good direction / step up to stay on with UPS?
I don't mind the hard work, like/respect most of my coworkers but would like to advance forward and not be a belt zombie. (It seems most of the guys working our belts live at home with parents and the 20+ hrs is fine with them)

HeyNowBrownCow

Drive air? How does one get that gig? I assume I'd need to go the driver route/training first??
Also wondering what a PT car washer job is like?? That must suck in this weather??

jaker

trolling
Hold on maybe I read it wrong but you want to from PT to feeder driver

Where I am from you have to either become a FT driver or a 22.3 job , both of those will take you years to become a feeder driver and I mean by years you are really really lucky if it happens in 15 years from the time you was hired

Now I said this as nice as I could without being a :censored2: about what I really want to say

barnyard

KTM rider
Do just a little bit of searching and you will find that every, single one of your questions have been asked and answered.

If you want to stay home with your kids, remain PT, that is the only way to do it.

Pooter

Remember that UPS is part time. Most part timers have another job outside ups to make ends. People wait 10+ years to get a shot at full time in most centers.

They will train you for Air driving once you win a bid. It's not something that you can get just because you are interested. :(

PT Car Washer

Drive air? How does one get that gig? I assume I'd need to go the driver route/training first??
Also wondering what a PT car washer job is like?? That must suck in this weather??
Car washer is a good job, but takes a lot of seniority. Also a place where management can cut to reduce hours. Have heard new air drivers have to go to Intagrad now. Used to be trained in house.

HeyNowBrownCow

No need to be a :censored2:...... I'm new with no clue and not afraid to say it. I've been searching the forums and discussions for ideas on how to move up not out. As mentioned, I dig the hard work and I work hard but I'd prefer not to become jaded like I see so many in my center.
Sorry to offend anyone who drives by assuming its possible to drive but the guy who started after me is off to driving school in 2 weeks. I missed the sign up sheet bc I mistakenly thought 100 names of people with more seniority would get priority. Not so.... This guy has maybe 1.5 months sorting and he's off to driving school and I'm being shuffled to where the super needs someone to get the job done fast and correctly.

PT Car Washer

Remember that UPS is part time. Most part timers have another job outside ups to make ends. People wait 10+ years to get a shot at full time in most centers.

They will train you for Air driving once you win a bid. It's not something that you can get just because you are interested. :(
Should be able to be a Saturday air driver without winning a bid. Unless your center is way overstaffed.

jaker

trolling
No need to be a :censored2:...... I'm new with no clue and not afraid to say it. I've been searching the forums and discussions for ideas on how to move up not out. As mentioned, I dig the hard work and I work hard but I'd prefer not to become jaded like I see so many in my center.
Sorry to offend anyone who drives by assuming its possible to drive but the guy who started after me is off to driving school in 2 weeks. I missed the sign up sheet bc I mistakenly thought 100 names of people with more seniority would get priority. Not so.... This guy has maybe 1.5 months sorting and he's off to driving school and I'm being shuffled to where the super needs someone to get the job done fast and correctly.
Need more details then driving school is he going FT driving or air driving , I can see someone going Air driving after a short time

HeyNowBrownCow

He says he's training for PC driver. It seems odd but the second in command (don't know his title) has been driving saturday airs and filling in even though there are a few cover drivers available. Maybe bc we've got 2-3 drivers injured.... I don't know. You know the protocol, no one tells you anything straight in the center....esp managers and supers.

Pooter

Should be able to be a Saturday air driver without winning a bid. Unless your center is way overstaffed.
ah thanks. I work at a big hub so it's hard to get anything.

OP: since you are in preload ask your center manager about Saturday Air Driving. Somewhat of a step up.

HeyNowBrownCow

Thanks pooter! The center manager is a real great guy too... Even though he's been pushing me toward a super position. ;-) "I want you on my team". I def want to be a team player but not on "that" team.
Do I need driving school/training to do Saturday airs?