Non Union Upsers In Right To Work States

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
In my opinion, the only thing wrong with RTW laws is that they give non-workers free representation.
I would be fine with RTW if those people were responsible for negotiating their own wages & benefits and responsible for their own representation.
Double fine here, I'd really like to know their negotiated raise thru "singular bargaining."

but in the long run its just not worth it. You're not gonna change the world by standing up for your rights, all you will get is a target on your back. I don't like it but this is the reality down here. You pick your battles, take your paycheck, and try and pay the bills.
And that is the most important post in this thread.......That clearly displays how weak we really are...Each year more and more people are willing, nay...EAGER to throw in the towel, and pull their head back into the shell, so that their neck is not sticking out.
If everyone's head was held high, they wouldn't know which neck to go for.

Here in AZ ........... Only a little over 800 members could even be bothered to vote, a sad showing indeed.
Out of 3200 dues paying members!!!!!!!!!!!! Pathetic

less money in my pocket and at the end of the day that's all that matters. Union dues take away raises. You get a raise your dues go up.
How in the hell is that?:confused2:
How does the small amount of tax deductible dues you pay out of your pocket affect how much the company claims they can't afford to pay you?
I don't see the connection:confused2:

cynic

I'm proud to wear a target on my back, I'll continue to file grievances 'til they pry my pen from my cold, dead fingers.

And I take extra pride when I submit a well written, documented, and witnessed grievance on a FT sup.

Paint me with a laser to better your aim. I'll be more than happy to drag in DOL, OSHA, ADA, EEOC laws and agencies if and as applicable. I'm your worst nightmare, I'm an ********* with a brain.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Originally Posted by DriveInDriveOut
but in the long run its just not worth it. You're not gonna change the world by standing up for your rights, all you will get is a target on your back. I don't like it but this is the reality down here. You pick your battles, take your paycheck, and try and pay the bills.

And that is the most important post in this thread.......That clearly displays how weak we really are...Each year more and more people are willing, nay...EAGER to throw in the towel, and pull their head back into the shell, so that their neck is not sticking out.
If everyone's head was held high, they wouldn't know which neck to go for.

Totally agree, if everyone's head was held high, but they're not. There is a cost in the form of retaliation that the union won't protect us from. I'm not able to afford this cost. I have my limits, but I have to carefully choose my battles.

I don't let safety infractions slide because my low wage is not worth endangering my safety. However, I let supervisors work because our contract language is so pathetic they will almost always get away with it. In the long run if I get a shot at qualifying as a driver I don't want everyone in management looking for a way to make sure I fail.

brown_trousers

If everyone's head was held high, they wouldn't know which neck to go for

Dont confuse weakness with intelligence. A smart man chooses his battles, he doesnt just throw a punch at the first sign of trouble.

cynic

Personally, it's not about intelligence vs.ignorance or strength vs. weakness when it comes to filing.

It's about my principles and my refusal to watch or tolerate bullying or favoritism in the workplace by PT and FT sups using intimidation to try and have things done their way in contradiction to the language in our contract - no matter how poorly worded in sections.

stink219

I'll take my chances scab. I've been persuading people for a long time for this union.

I'm behind him with an old Suomi. Be careful tough guy.
I've had a gun in my face before. I was even shot. If he think that scares me, I guarantee he would be more frightened than I. Isn't that why he carries a gun? What has gotten me in trouble in life is that I only have one fear on this earth, and it's my mommy. A gun could never persuade me to stop scab bashing.

Returntosender

And un-holstering a 229P Sig Sauer and chambering a .40 cal. bullet and firing said bullet into your chest will cause you to drop that aluminum baseball bat.
LOL. You shoot a steward? While in jail, shady union personnel will purposely get themselves arrested for a misdemeanor just for the opportunity to placed in the same holding cell as you.

Last edited:

Dogbill

I've been a part time preloader for right at three years now, but I never joined the union. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone. The union never approached me after my 90 days. We have three union reps in our building. One of them can't get off the phone long enough to hold a conversation with me, one might as well be management, and the other is nearly impossible to catch. Two of them are drivers and the one we have in the morning will side with management over any union member. The other stewards tell us not to talk to her.

That being said, the other two are hard for me to catch. I'm one of the ones who has always been yo-yo'd around the building. I never really minded it much. My supervisors always told me that the union was a load of crap and I ate that **** up. However, it's gotten to a point where I'm tired of being taken advantage of. I've got people in my eat telling me I need to be union and people in my other ear telling me the union won't do anything for me. I can definitely say that in the past, when I needed help (during my initial 90 days), I got nothing. I hadn't received several checks for several weeks running and the rep I went to paid me absolutely no attention.

Real nice recruiting tactics. Don't worry anymore, though, union thugs. My bitterness towards management outweighs my bitterness towards you guys, so I'll be sure to catch a steward before I leave work tomorrow.

brown_trousers

Personally, it's not about intelligence vs.ignorance or strength vs. weakness when it comes to filing.

It's about my principles and my refusal to watch or tolerate bullying or favoritism in the workplace by PT and FT sups using intimidation to try and have things done their way in contradiction to the language in our contract - no matter how poorly worded in sections.

Its absolutely about intelligence. Ive seen it too many times.... a driver makes his first grievance, and it turns into a battle/retaliation. Sometimes even a battle that the driver loses! I have grieved a few things in my career, but I always stop beforehand to consider the ramifications of doing so.

You could preach to me all day long about it being my responsibility to file grievances, but I have a much more important responsibility providing for my family. I choose my battles wisely

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I've been a part time preloader for right at three years now, but I never joined the union. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone. The union never approached me after my 90 days. We have three union reps in our building. One of them can't get off the phone long enough to hold a conversation with me, one might as well be management, and the other is nearly impossible to catch. Two of them are drivers and the one we have in the morning will side with management over any union member. The other stewards tell us not to talk to her.

That being said, the other two are hard for me to catch. I'm one of the ones who has always been yo-yo'd around the building. I never really minded it much. My supervisors always told me that the union was a load of crap and I ate that **** up. However, it's gotten to a point where I'm tired of being taken advantage of. I've got people in my eat telling me I need to be union and people in my other ear telling me the union won't do anything for me. I can definitely say that in the past, when I needed help (during my initial 90 days), I got nothing. I hadn't received several checks for several weeks running and the rep I went to paid me absolutely no attention.

Real nice recruiting tactics. Don't worry anymore, though, union thugs. My bitterness towards management outweighs my bitterness towards you guys, so I'll be sure to catch a steward before I leave work tomorrow.

I haven't experienced the 90 days as it was only 30 when I was in the hub & as a Driver, but then I used to tell newbies to do whatever they told you to do for that time then come talk to me when they made Seniority. Reason was that the Company pretty much had carte blanche to terminate them during the probationary period so I didn't want any of my personal battles with Management to come out and taint that process.

Sure, it would be nice to get around to every new person and sign them up, but when you are generally working at a ratio of 100 drivers to 1 Steward time becomes an issue. Especially in the Driver ranks, discipline is a constantly consuming process that leaves little room for organizing.

In partial defense of your preload Steward, many times a Steward can be accused of "siding with management" when really they aren't. We try to be the "voice of reason" which doesn't mean automatically defending the Union persons actions. When it works, both the member & the Management person are turning to you for guidance & the problem is resolved with the minimal amount of discipline but the maximum amount of responsibility. It can seem like the Steward is siding with Management, but if you take a moment you'll realize that you got out of less discipline than you were facing and maybe you weren't in the right to begin with.

Regardless of that particular Steward's method, if you don't like how you are being represented consider becoming a Steward so you can work for change from the inside. Everyone started out disgruntled.

cynic

Its absolutely about intelligence. Ive seen it too many times.... a driver makes his first grievance, and it turns into a battle/retaliation. Sometimes even a battle that the driver loses! I have grieved a few things in my career, but I always stop beforehand to consider the ramifications of doing so.

You could preach to me all day long about it being my responsibility to file grievances, but I have a much more important responsibility providing for my family. I choose my battles wisely

I don't have as much skin in the game as you do so I see and understand your perspective vs. mine. It's a part time job that saves me over $16,000 a year for the benefits package at my "day job", I get a workout unloading trailers, so I'm not worried about getting a target on my back so I can push back firmly while making sure I follow the methods and work as directed. The management at this place makes me want to puke, bullying and intimidation run rampant, in my personal opinion. I'm the same way at my other job but am working without a net - no union. As individuals, many of the PT sups are good people until it's time to work and then they have the numbers game forced on them to try and force on us. Really quite sad, people just can't work and respect each other in this kind of environment.

PT Car Washer

How about when the Local decides she will not represent PT dues paying members ? Even PTers who pay more Union dues every year then a lot of FT members for a whole lot more years. Seems like the Union does not want PTers in the Union. But as long as they are stupid enough to throw their money away the Union will take it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I find it VERY amusing when some of the Freeloaders get mad when called out about being Freeloaders.
We have a group of Freeloaders in my building that love to proclaim they have 'rights' and are 'entitled to representation' .These idiots are (believe it or nit ) anti union.I have heard them say the Union just takes dues and protects the slackers,but have no qualms earning Union pay and getting Union benefits
I thought you called them Runner-Gunners?

voodoo child

688 teamsters are very weak they sell there members up the river, the union rep sux, hes too worried about drinking with co panel members at mo kan hes a joke.