Our Fantastic Healthcare

bacha29

Firstup. Wasn't there any walk up clinics in your area. Those are what every insurer ask that you go to first. It's the lowest cost provider. The ER is the most expensive level of initial treatment . Second out of your own free will and volition you chose the highest deductible lowest premium health plan. Point three. You could go to the ER in those smaller, poorer foreign countries but what are your chances of walking back out? Fourth you seem to think that the people in health care aren't worth the kind of money they are being paid. Chances are they feel the same way about what you are making. Number five. If you are going to move overseas to live why should you be concerned about how quality and cost of American health care? Oh just one other little thing. According to an article in that liberal, left wing, communist pinko publication called Time magazine, 50% of the world's total wealth is owned and controlled by just 85 people and only 15% of all investment capital raised by Wall Street investment banks actually gets into the economy. Creating jobs? The only jobs those 85 people might create are floor trader jobs and technology has been slowly eliminating them for years

vantexan

Firstup. Wasn't there any walk up clinics in your area. Those are what every insurer ask that you go to first. It's the lowest cost provider. The ER is the most expensive level of initial treatment . Second out of your own free will and volition you chose the highest deductible lowest premium health plan. Point three. You could go to the ER in those smaller, poorer foreign countries but what are your chances of walking back out? Fourth you seem to think that the people in health care aren't worth the kind of money they are being paid. Chances are they feel the same way about what you are making. Number five. If you are going to move overseas to live why should you be concerned about how quality and cost of American health care? Oh just one other little thing. According to an article in that liberal, left wing, communist pinko publication called Time magazine, 50% of the world's total wealth is owned and controlled by just 85 people and only 15% of all investment capital raised by Wall Street investment banks actually gets into the economy. Creating jobs? The only jobs those 85 people might create are floor trader jobs and technology has been slowly eliminating them for years
So apparently while still living here I don't have the right to ask for a better system? Your guys screwed up and we're all paying for it. Deal with it. If you don't want to live overseas then don't. Simple. But you can see the commie pinko side of you coming out: you want to control what others do. If left up to you no one would be allowed to leave. We'll have to stay, pay, and like it, or else! Wahhhhh, the rich guy has more than me, wahhhh! It's so unfair!! And dude, I had serious chest pain and have heart disease. And I never said they aren't worth it up to a point. But like everything else you think everyone should get high pay without showing us where it is coming from. My grandfather was a water well driller who made good money. And spent much of it taking care of my grandmother after her stroke. And having congestive heart failure himself. I've seen the jacked up charges they endured. People are enriching themselves at others' expense. You scream all day about FedEx and others and then defend that? Really?

bacha29

It's the free market. You know the one you tightly embrace. But when that very same free market system works against you then you start crying about it being unfair to you.But when someone even mentions the idea of a single payer system in an effort to contain costs and stream line health care you are the first one to condemn it before it is even put in the form of legislation. And why hasn't it gone very far? The insurance and health care lobby . You know the very people you accuse of profiteering at the expense of the sick.You remind me of Mitch McConnell. He fought Obamacare tooth and nail. Yet his state of Kentucky has one of if not the highest participation rate in the country. And where is the operations center for the ACA? Why it's in Senator O'Connell's home state of Kentucky of course.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
But when someone even mentions the idea of a single payer system in an effort to contain costs and stream line health care you are the first one to condemn it before it is even put in the form of legislation.

He's the 2nd. I'm the 1st because it doesn't contain costs or streamline care.

There is no legislation that can overcome the fact that the demand for care far surpasses the resources needed to provide it. Even if there was, the responsibility to pay for it would be disproportionately distributed and those who are most likely to misuse or abuse the benefits are the ones least likely to be paying much into the system.

So no, I'm automatically against it because at best, I'd be stuck paying for freeloaders who abuse it, only more so than I am now.

vantexan

It's the free market. You know the one you tightly embrace. But when that very same free market system works against you then you start crying about it being unfair to you.But when someone even mentions the idea of a single payer system in an effort to contain costs and stream line health care you are the first one to condemn it before it is even put in the form of legislation. And why hasn't it gone very far? The insurance and health care lobby . You know the very people you accuse of profiteering at the expense of the sick.You remind me of Mitch McConnell. He fought Obamacare tooth and nail. Yet his state of Kentucky has one of if not the highest participation rate in the country. And where is the operations center for the ACA? Why it's in Senator O'Connell's home state of Kentucky of course.
You have no problem hurting people financially if it means the poor get it for free. I'm saying come up with a better system. I'm sure if the Democrats actually work with Republicans this time they can come up with something better. The ACA is a completely Democrat boondoggle, time to own up to it's shortcomings instead of knee jerk defend it.

vantexan

It's not the free market when it's forced on us. Get it?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He's the 2nd. I'm the 1st because it doesn't contain costs or streamline care.

There is no legislation that can overcome the fact that the demand for care far surpasses the resources needed to provide it. Even if there was, the responsibility to pay for it would be disproportionately distributed and those who are most likely to misuse or abuse the benefits are the ones least likely to be paying much into the system.

So no, I'm automatically against it because at best, I'd be stuck paying for freeloaders who abuse it, only more so than I am now.

The demand for care always surpasses the resources needed to provide it, which is why health care should be subsidized/single payer. Just like prisons, the military. mental institutions, public transportation and police and fire protection, health care shouldn't be privatized so it's a money-maker. These government services, and many others, exist because they're needed, not because they need to generate a "profit".

I love you sympathetic GOP/Libertarian types who simply assume that most people will try and abuse the system. How does someone with cancer or heart disease abuse a system when all they're trying to do is get better? The wealthy don't have to worry about getting health care. Many poor people don't even have access to the most basic health services, which is just plain wrong.

59 Dano

The demand for care always surpasses the resources needed to provide it, which is why health care should be subsidized/single payer. Just like prisons, the military. mental institutions, public transportation and police and fire protection, health care shouldn't be privatized so it's a money-maker. These government services, and many others, exist because they're needed, not because they need to generate a "profit".

I love you sympathetic GOP/Libertarian types who simply assume that most people will try and abuse the system. How does someone with cancer or heart disease abuse a system when all they're trying to do is get better? The wealthy don't have to worry about getting health care. Many poor people don't even have access to the most basic health services, which is just plain wrong.

I'm not saying that "most people" will abuse or misusing the system, but there is no way to prevent it.

fdxsux

It's the free market. You know the one you tightly embrace.
Healthcare isn't a "free market". The healthy people in the insurance pool subsidize the costs for the sick people. In a true " free market" everyone would be responsible for all their costs. Because the costs are subsidized, healthcare providers can charge more than they otherwise could. Likewise, healthcare professionals make more than they otherwise would. The "free market" you speak of would actually lower the cost of healthcare services. Would you go see your physician more often or less often if you had to pay the full $100-150? Those that are sick would pay more than they do now while those that are healthy would pay nothing, but the actual cost of services would go down.

bacha29

One of the biggest health care costs escalators are found when people with no insurance get sick wait until complications set in that could have easily been avoided but the patient waited until almost dying then goes to the ER the most expensive treatment source in existence. That's what drives up health care costs. In most cases these people have no money so who pays it in the end? Medicaid. One of the main drivers behind Obamacare was that Medicaid in terms of annual percentage increase in it's cost was one of the highest of all social programs. That explains why mammograms and other routine forms of preventative care are free. Want to drive down healthcare costs? There is where you start. Vantex, you say that you have heart disease. In your part of the country a lot of people smoke. Are you or were you ever a smoker?

vantexan

One of the biggest health care costs escalators are found when people with no insurance get sick wait until complications set in that could have easily been avoided but the patient waited until almost dying then goes to the ER the most expensive treatment source in existence. That's what drives up health care costs. In most cases these people have no money so who pays it in the end? Medicaid. One of the main drivers behind Obamacare was that Medicaid in terms of annual percentage increase in it's cost was one of the highest of all social programs. That explains why mammograms and other routine forms of preventative care are free. Want to drive down healthcare costs? There is where you start. Vantex, you say that you have heart disease. In your part of the country a lot of people smoke. Are you or were you ever a smoker?
Nope, never smoked and from a family of non-smokers. My problem was I was single most of my adult life and ate a lot of fast food instead of good home cooked meals. Stress from the job and a family history of heart disease. An uncle and a cousin both dropped dead from a plugged up artery, I came close.

59 Dano

One of the biggest health care costs escalators are found when people with no insurance get sick wait until complications set in that could have easily been avoided but the patient waited until almost dying then goes to the ER the most expensive treatment source in existence. That's what drives up health care costs. In most cases these people have no money so who pays it in the end? Medicaid. One of the main drivers behind Obamacare was that Medicaid in terms of annual percentage increase in it's cost was one of the highest of all social programs. That explains why mammograms and other routine forms of preventative care are free. Want to drive down healthcare costs? There is where you start.

In theory, poor people will make use of the free preventative care options that are offered. In reality, few of them do.

The long-term poor (and let's not confuse "poor" with "broke") are not very proactive at anything. As a whole they are significantly more irresponsible, impulsive, and unmotivated than the general population. They are more likely to abuse alcohol, smoke, and have children out of wedlock. They are less likely to have graduated high school or to exercise regularly, and are more likely to be obese.

You can dangle all the preventative care you want in front of them and not many are going to take advantage of it.

bacha29

Dano and VanT have made good points. Poor living habits and heredity are major contributors to the exploding cost of health care.. Too many people take their health for granted as Dano pointed out. Van is right about heredity. There's a history of cancer on my mother's side. She , her mother and two of her brothers died from it. On my father's side rheumatoid arthritis is rampant.So what are you going to do? The only difference between now and 40 years ago is more effective treatment. And who afflicted with those and other diseases is going to turn down such treatments?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
First off, I will say that I have used my FedEx insurance as little as possible in all my years at FedEx because I hate doctors and was warned by my doctor sister to stay away from them (lol). That said, I had an emergency surgery a few years ago, when our insurance was still decent, resulting in me staying in the hospital for five days. I recently had a necessary but scheduled surgery that was out patient. My first surgery and hospital stay I paid ZERO, NADA, ZILCH. The recent one is going to cost me around $2,000, possibly more (haven't gotten all the bills yet). Thanks FedEx, The People Company.

whenIgetthere

First off, I will say that I have used my FedEx insurance as little as possible in all my years at FedEx because I hate doctors and was warned by my doctor sister to stay away from them (lol). That said, I had an emergency surgery a few years ago, when our insurance was still decent, resulting in me staying in the hospital for five days. I recently had a necessary but scheduled surgery that was out patient. My first surgery and hospital stay I paid ZERO, NADA, ZILCH. The recent one is going to cost me around $2,000, possibly more (haven't gotten all the bills yet). Thanks FedEx, The People Company.

My wife needs a procedure, our insurance won't cover any of it. $1800. What a great insurance plan.