Our Fantastic Healthcare

bacha29

If Obamacare is to blame then how come my health insurer is raising it's 2017 premiums just 1%. All Obamacare does it help pay the premiums for people on low incomes .

bacha29

Are you guys trying to tell me that you are paying 100% of your health insurance premiums? The health insurers not the ACA that sets the premiums.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I recently had a necessary but scheduled surgery that was out patient. My first surgery and hospital stay I paid ZERO, NADA, ZILCH. The recent one is going to cost me around $2,000, possibly more (haven't gotten all the bills yet).

How much of your deductible had you met before this surgery?

59 Dano

As an outpatient, they will not pay. We are looking into the inpatient route now, but that's asinine, would cost so much more.

My mother's doc told her she needed a procedure and asked her about her insurance. She told him the plan info and he said he would admit her into the hospital to perform the procedure. Same thing, her plan won't cover it (or cover as much) if it's outpatient.

59 Dano

Not sure. I'll find out when I get my EOB.

I had some things done at the end of last year/beginning of this year. I hadn't used any of the deductible last year, so I paid just about the full expense for what was done in December. Then I started back at 0 for the purposes of my deductible in January! The timing stunk to high heaven.

I noticed something about the 2016 stuff. I paid a total of $800 out of pocket. My EOB (I guess that's what it was) shows that the rest was covered by a combination of some of my HSA and my insurance coverage, and my deductible still hasn't been met for the year. I always thought that they deplete your HSA before you have to pay anything out of pocket and that none of your coverage --except maybe the flat fee stuff-- kicked in until you'd satisfied the deductible.

That stuff is as confusing as hell.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I had some things done at the end of last year/beginning of this year. I hadn't used any of the deductible last year, so I paid just about the full expense for what was done in December. Then I started back at 0 for the purposes of my deductible in January! The timing stunk to high heaven.

I noticed something about the 2016 stuff. I paid a total of $800 out of pocket. My EOB (I guess that's what it was) shows that the rest was covered by a combination of some of my HSA and my insurance coverage, and my deductible still hasn't been met for the year. I always thought that they deplete your HSA before you have to pay anything out of pocket and that none of your coverage --except maybe the flat fee stuff-- kicked in until you'd satisfied the deductible.

That stuff is as confusing as hell.

FedEx benefits SUCK.
Does that help you to understand?

bacha29

Something to watch out for guys Some hospitals will hold a person for so called" observation" rather than a formal admittance. Some insurers will not pay the charges incurred during the "observation". So be on the lookout. Like wise as was discussed earlier watch out for ER's that are operated and managed by third party's that are separate form the hospital corporation and may not be included in an insurers network of providers. Given the nightmares that have been discussed here I still am puzzled as to why you guys are so adamantly opposed to a single payer system. How could it possibly be worse than this?

59 Dano

Just wait till you NEED your health insurance... while for you in your pay bracket might be easier, but 3months pay out of pocket maximum is impossible for a mid range employee

If the bills exceed my income, do you know what happens?

They'll bill me and I'll pay them what I can, when I can. And depending on the circumstances, we might settle.