Our ORION team is so arrogant and full of themselves it's hilarious

OPTION3

If we are no longer competent or trustworthy enough to decide what our first stop should be or how closely we should follow ORION on any given day....then how can we be competent or trustworthy enough to help them fix the problems with ORION in the first place?

They cant have it both ways.
Just look back on this thread....there are plenty of rubes stupid enough to believe the company drivel......

ArcherUTR

They have been asking us to come in and "work with them" on getting ORION issues resolved for our routes so that we can manufacture the magical 85% compliance metric that they are so desperate to see on the report each day.

Sorry, I'm not going to beat my head against a wall trying to fix what isnt fixable. The entire premise is irredeemably flawed.
Just make sure that your DOL is as accurate and the way that you like it. Pick up time frames will have the biggest impact on what Orion does. The time allowance on my route for stops is my second biggest problem, because Orion is two hours ahead of me. The amount of air that you have and the estimated time of leaving building are probably second/third.

Nonexistent pathways and barriers are a problem. The biggest problem with Orion in a suburban setting is that we don't drive magical U-turn trucks and it has no regard for the safest way of doing things, only the shortest way of getting there.

FilingBluesFL

They have been asking us to come in and "work with them" on getting ORION issues resolved for our routes so that we can manufacture the magical 85% compliance metric that they are so desperate to see on the report each day.

Sorry, I'm not going to beat my head against a wall trying to fix what isnt fixable. The entire premise is irredeemably flawed.

Follow ORION and your miles go up, get called in the office for too many miles/working too late.

Don't follow ORION, get called in the office for not meeting their compliance metric.

You. Can't. Win.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In the weather modeling world, when the initialized data and conditions in the model do not match the real-time observations, prior to the model even running..."garbage in, garbage out" No experienced meteorologist is going to weigh that data their forecast.

Arrive at my first stop between 9:25 or 9:40 every day while ORION says 9:10 or 9:15, and some how this modeling is useful....okay. Good luck with that geniuses. ;D

clean hairy

Maybe.

And if, a big if, UPS had asked every driver to come in and set up a real DOL, in order to create a real EDD order, before ORION was instituted, maybe ORION would have almost worked the first time.

Trust me, it doesn't matter if v.2.0 re-orders your trace after every stop, you will still be climbing and crawling around to find packages.
It will be advanced enough so it can be used with bricked out vehicles during peak?
Be interesting to see......

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS turning ORION off during peak seems to indicate it isn't the best way to get packages delivered. Interesting how UPS never mentions that to the public.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The questions was about PAS/EDD.

TTKU
I know what the questions were about. I was just curious as throughout the whole thread you seemed to be quite the expert on ORION and how it used and will be improved. Yet I'm assuming you don't have it yet. So you have no experience with it but you know how it works? Oh okay. I get it. You're THAT guy. I can keep up just fine. I see the arrogance just in your reply.

Thats just adorable.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
In the morning Fri as we were waiting 20 mins after start time to get edd released to download, I overheard a driver that was talking to a Orion guy about fixing some issues with his route. The Orion guy, who of course wants all our secrets, exact words were " our goal is so anyone can get in the truck and follow Orion with no area knowledge as efficiently as a veteran driver" Good times ahead

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the morning Fri as we were waiting 20 mins after start time to get edd released to download, I overheard a driver that was talking to a Orion guy about fixing some issues with his route. The Orion guy, who of course wants all our secrets, exact words were " our goal is so anyone can get in the truck and follow Orion with no area knowledge as efficiently as a veteran driver" Good times ahead

Well....duh!

watdaflock?

The Orion guy, who of course wants all our secrets, exact words were " our goal is so anyone can get in the truck and follow Orion with no area knowledge as efficiently as a veteran driver" Good times ahead

Does that mean management will quit cutting routes and stuffing package cars completely full?

Good luck with that.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
They are devaluing our job for a reason​

If they devalue our jobs, then what's the use of having on roads anymore? They'll do the same to themselves as well. A good, safe, knowledgeable driver who had the methods down to a science and takes care of their customers is worth their weight in gold. And ups makes more off that investment any day in the long run then algorithm driven software that constantly has to be "improved " over and over. Sadly since we went public, they don't see that point anymore. Anybody can sit in the seat and drive the truck, deliver etc. but if they can't do the job fluidly by the methods safely and with service, all the fancy software tools become useless. It does take some type of skill to do what we do at the level we should do it. Fancy technology is useless if the operator can't do the core job regardless.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The questions was about PAS/EDD.

Dave,

Your comparison of PAS/EDD with ORION is apples to oranges.

You like to say that PAS/EDD has made you a more efficient driver. That is because PAS/EDD was designed to optimize the dispatch, ensure that the car is loaded the car in a manner that accounts for bulk, and provide a real-world delivery trace for the driver that minimizes delays caused by traffic, left turns, one-way streets etc. It does not do these things perfectly, but it is a huge improvement over what we had previously. Most importantly...it was designed by people who have actually done the job of a delivery driver.

ORION was not designed to do any of the things that PAS/EDD does. ORION is nothing more than an exercise in reducing miles by any means necessary and regardless of the consequences. It does not factor in traffic. It does not factor in bulk. It does not factor in safety. It does not factor in the needs of our business customers for an early delivery time. And, most importantly....it was designed by people who have never done the job of a delivery driver.

Try to keep up.

oldngray

nowhere special
Dave,

Your comparison of PAS/EDD with ORION is apples to oranges.

You like to say that PAS/EDD has made you a more efficient driver. That is because PAS/EDD was designed to optimize the dispatch, ensure that the car is loaded the car in a manner that accounts for bulk, and provide a real-world delivery trace for the driver that minimizes delays caused by traffic, left turns, one-way streets etc. It does not do these things perfectly, but it is a huge improvement over what we had previously. Most importantly...it was designed by people who have actually done the job of a delivery driver.

ORION was not designed to do any of the things that PAS/EDD does. ORION is nothing more than an exercise in reducing miles by any means necessary and regardless of the consequences. It does not factor in traffic. It does not factor in bulk. It does not factor in safety. It does not factor in the needs of our business customers for an early delivery time. And, most importantly....it was designed by people who have never done the job of a delivery driver.

Try to keep up.

The difference is PAS/EDD follows the DOL so makes sense. Unlike ORION.