Our ORION team is so arrogant and full of themselves it's hilarious

Bottom rung

I'll believe the "system upgrade" when I see it. Loading a pc to orion is senseless unless you turn around on the middle of the street and walk through yards to deliver your next stop. I looked at the computer once. Asked the orion team who was standing there what my travel path was. All I got was silence. Haven't looked at it again and never will. I told the team leader who went over my route with me that he was conducting a shell game and I put more miles on now than I did before. His response....You let me worry about the numbers. Someday it'll go away. Hopefully.

Big J

To this day I'm still amazed how Orion actually causes more left hand turns then necessary. It encourages left hand turns all day. It will have you drive past a street that would be a right turn, only to have you service that same street later on while making a left turn. It's mind boggling. Also how it will have you drive right past a house on the side of the street you are on, only to have you service that stop later on by being on the wrong side of the street. WAD. Orion compliance up, Paycheck and 401K up. It's just annoying at the end of a long week. Mondays, who cares. Friday's I'm cursing up a storm.

I'm with ya! If this thing is so smart why can't it figure out curbside delivery? So frustrating! Complete waste of money!!

ArcherUTR

Which means you were a joke as a driver before? I can make the rationalization you are a joke as a driver now as well

Telematics and ORION have made me a better driver as well. Not necessarily because they are always close to correct or foolproof, but it has caused me to focus more on my safety and minimizing my mile choices.

For now ORION can be a good tool even for veteran drivers, but you should not be held to a trace percentage and should be able to switch back on forth between RDO and ODO. Area knowledge, a good DOL, and a well trained driver who thinks for himself can top it every time. For now it is causing more overtime and more miles because they are shoving a theoretical math problem that a computer can't solve down our throats.

It's just too bad there are a lot drivers out there that just don't care and new drivers that aren't trained for :censored2: and also use their phones to navigate.

ArcherUTR

you have posted here before you both work and drive in an unsafe manner,however I choose to be safe. Its a simple choice,and having an 'open mind" has nothing to do with it.

The first rule of backing is NO BACKING. Take the block.

Park as close to the address as possible. Use existing tools and leverage. UPS has many trucks, I have one body. It minimizes steps, wear and tear, and is safer. ORION wants you to pull off to the side on a 40mph road with no shoulder and walk off a stop 3 houses down.

ArcherUTR

So I'm glad you brought up refusal to comply.

My theory is that they want us to run minimal trace on orion. This gives them insight as to why we deliver in a certain order, regardless of edd/orion order. Eventually they will catch on, understand, and change orion so that it will be safer and more effecient. Nobody knows the route better than the driver. But give it time in your center and you will see it slowly take over. Also, the mandatory how I run my route forms are evidence that they want driver input. Whether they acknowledge it or not, somebody is looking at your route against the orion plan and adjusting accordingly.

Love it, hate it, ignore it, it's a fact of life. Instead of fighting it, we ought to be thinking about what happens when....

They haven't changed :censored2: on my route in over a year and three months. My ORION OJS bailed on me two days in a row. I've been telling my center problems with static gates that don't open and business closures for over a year. Nothing has been done. The only thing they are doing lately is smoothing out (asking ORION to be less cute). It's better, but it is exposing the DOL errors that have never been fixed.

Give it time, my ass.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The first rule of backing is NO BACKING. Take the block.

Park as close to the address as possible. Use existing tools and leverage. UPS has many trucks, I have one body. It minimizes steps, wear and tear, and is safer. ORION wants you to pull off to the side on a 40mph road with no shoulder and walk off a stop 3 houses down.
Always back if it saves your back, that's called trying to finish the race in 1 piece and with a safe healthy back lol.

CHALLY9TX

Our center keeps drilling us about reducing our back first exceptions. They went through the roof when they started pushing us to follow the Orion trace. Bunch of idiots. Now that it's been a few months that the Orion team left, our sups are begging us to sit down with them to adjust the Orion trace on our routes. Just goes to show that they can mess with routes to meet the Orion trace but not really reduce miles. I'm not telling them how to adjust my route. They had their chance and refused to listen.

OPTION3

Telematics and ORION have made me a better driver as well. Not necessarily because they are always close to correct or foolproof, but it has caused me to focus more on my safety and minimizing my mile choices.

For now ORION can be a good tool even for veteran drivers, but you should not be held to a trace percentage and should be able to switch back on forth between RDO and ODO. Area knowledge, a good DOL, and a well trained driver who thinks for himself can top it every time. For now it is causing more overtime and more miles because they are shoving a theoretical math problem that a computer can't solve down our throats.

It's just too bad there are a lot drivers out there that just don't care and new drivers that aren't trained for :censored2: and also use their phones to navigate.
You forget about the driver who always did/does it right.....not to make some BS "numbers"...but to service the customer and make it home safely. When you guys, that have gotten" better" were cutting corners, the guys/gals doing it right were/are taking the heat from management....you are just trying to rationalize your crappy numbers now.....tsk tsk tsk

S

selfcancelsignal

I look at the ORION "solution" on the computer monitor every morning just for my own amusement. ORION is still in my DIAD, but I switch over to RDO before I leave the building.
I'm gonna try & be open minded when we start using it, but it looks terrible on my route now that it's in our DIADS & we can look at it each morning. Most stuff is left handed & I do a fairly busy area of town. Sure would prefer to keep running it MY way. It's a city route. How many miles am I actually gonna be saving? Still gonna have to break for air.

Bottom rung

The more commit time stops you have the better it may be. If you only have two air stops it will put you at the second stop at 1025 instead of 930 that it would be running rdo. It will load up your am with pm work. It seems to work better (most days) with more commits. It doesn't allow itself to get completely stupid because of the commits.

Overpaid Union Thug

The more commit time stops you have the better it may be. If you only have two air stops it will put you at the second stop at 1025 instead of 930 that it would be running rdo. It will load up your am with pm work. It seems to work better (most days) with more commits. It doesn't allow itself to get completely stupid because of the commits.
Here the more air we have the worse the dispatch. I have to break trace for air (if I hadn't already) and that leaves a rather long list of ground stops that, at that point, doesn't make sense to go back to once air is finished. When air is light ORION really gets gets goofy. It'll have me skip ground that I actually have time to get done with air.

ArcherUTR

You forget about the driver who always did/does it right.....not to make some BS "numbers"...but to service the customer and make it home safely. When you guys, that have gotten" better" were cutting corners, the guys/gals doing it right were/are taking the heat from management....you are just trying to rationalize your crappy numbers now.....tsk tsk tsk

You don't me. You don't what kind of driver I am, ever was, or ever want to be.

Right now you are being par for internet :censored2: because I have an outside of the box opinion. I am a Union Brother just and a fellow UPSer.

I have always tried to be an exceptional UPS Package Car driver. I have not always succeeded in that goal.

And I say to you good day kind sir.

ArcherUTR

I've heard that the more information that you give the more that it acts like your crazy girlfriend, but hey I'll give it a try.

But I have heard IE be tentative about trying to input too much information, in because it comes up with really crazy solutions. But my boss is asking me for a list of improvements...maybe after this weekend on Monday.

ArcherUTR

Here the more air we have the worse the dispatch. I have to break trace for air (if I hadn't already) and that leaves a rather long list of ground stops that, at that point, doesn't make sense to go back to once air is finished. When air is light ORION really gets gets goofy. It'll have me skip ground that I actually have time to get done with air.

We've been instructed to skip ORION ground because we are having too much late air. So yeah that leaves a list of about 2 -12 stops in multiple areas just hanging at the top of the board that are (almost) guaranteed breaks in trace.

OPTION3

You don't me. You don't what kind of driver I am, ever was, or ever want to be.

Right now you are being par for internet :censored2: because I have an outside of the box opinion. I am a Union Brother just and a fellow UPSer.

I have always tried to be an exceptional UPS Package Car driver. I have not always succeeded in that goal.

And I say to you good day kind sir.
Uhhhhh......ok.....I think?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They have been asking us to come in and "work with them" on getting ORION issues resolved for our routes so that we can manufacture the magical 85% compliance metric that they are so desperate to see on the report each day.

Sorry, I'm not going to beat my head against a wall trying to fix what isnt fixable. The entire premise is irredeemably flawed.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If we are no longer competent or trustworthy enough to decide what our first stop should be or how closely we should follow ORION on any given day....then how can we be competent or trustworthy enough to help them fix the problems with ORION in the first place?

They cant have it both ways.