Paying union dues but not in the union

Dillinger4

I had an interview yesterday for a seasonal driving position. The HR rep stated that we would have to pay union dues but would not be in the union. Is this correct?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I had an interview yesterday for a seasonal driving position. The HR rep stated that we would have to pay union dues but would not be in the union. Is this correct?
That sounds correct, as in that is how it works, the agreed upon process. Now technically, I believe you may only required to pay an agency or service fee, rather than full dues. However, the amount you would save by that is pretty small (maybe $5/mo.); and you will be throwing up red flags with the company and the union.

And yes, as a "seasonal" driver, you would not be eligible to "attain seniority" (which means becoming a permanent employee/becoming a member of the union). However, it's a way to get your foot in the door if you want to become a package car driver and circumvent the normal process of having to build seniority by working part-time as a package handler. Unfortunately, there are some areas where the Local Union will start taking deductions for the initiation fee, in addition to the normal dues (and it can be a substantial amount)(I personally disagree with this practice, and I don't believe they do it where I am).

If you do work the season and pay dues and the initiation fee, at the end of the season you should either get a withdrawal card from the union (that means you won't be working at the union job in the near future, and therefore will no longer owe monthly dues), or try to get a refund of the initiation fee (I have no idea how easy or hard it would be, but I wouldn't be surprised if they make it very difficult).

It's possible that in your area, if you work enough hours in the season, you might earn health insurance from the union fund for the next quarter. It doesn't work like that where I am, but I believe it does in some areas.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That sounds correct, as in that is how it works, the agreed upon process. Now technically, I believe you may only required to pay an agency or service fee, rather than full dues. However, the amount you would save by that is pretty small (maybe $5/mo.); and you will be throwing up red flags with the company and the union.

And yes, as a "seasonal" driver, you would not be eligible to "attain seniority" (which means becoming a permanent employee/becoming a member of the union). However, it's a way to get your foot in the door if you want to become a package car driver and circumvent the normal process of having to build seniority by working part-time as a package handler. Unfortunately, there are some areas where the Local Union will start taking deductions for the initiation fee, in addition to the normal dues (and it can be a substantial amount)(I personally disagree with this practice, and I don't believe they do it where I am).

If you do work the season and pay dues and the initiation fee, at the end of the season you should either get a withdrawal card from the union (that means you won't be working at the union job in the near future, and therefore will no longer owe monthly dues), or try to get a refund of the initiation fee (I have no idea how easy or hard it would be, but I wouldn't be surprised if they make it very difficult).

It's possible that in your area, if you work enough hours in the season, you might earn health insurance from the union fund for the next quarter. It doesn't work like that where I am, but I believe it does in some areas.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about things you admit you know nothing about.