Pit bull!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
She is so pretty....but she wouldnt get out of the truck. I had to throw a few dog treats out onto the ground and then shut the door quick to keep her from jumping back inside.
pit bull.jpg

I got bit by one this summer his name was Mr. Bean he took a chunk out of my leg but I didn't report it I didn't want to put stress on the dog. Plus he looked alot like my dog Eve she is half pit and a rescue like Mr. Bean.

DS

Fenderbender
She looks like Don Cherry:happy-very: you should take her for an hour or two as a helper...nice pic sober

soberups

I got bit by one this summer his name was Mr. Bean he took a chunk out of my leg but I didn't report it I didn't want to put stress on the dog. Plus he looked alot like my dog Eve she is half pit and a rescue like Mr. Bean.

I love pit bulls. I had one for almost 16 years, before I had to have her put down due to arthritis. She was a kind and gentle dog, great with kids and other animals. I still get weepy thinking about her.

That being said, I am of the firm belief that a pit bull that bites a person needs to be euthanized. It sounds harsh, but for the good of both the dog and the people it might come into contact with....thats the way it has to be.

I very nearly had to shoot a pit bull a couple of weeks ago. I was driving down the road in my personal vehicle when I saw a pit bull running loose, charging towards a young girl on the sidewalk who was walking her own dog on a leash. In the distance I saw the pitbull's owner chasing it and yelling at it, but he was too far away to do anything.

The girls dog...a small Sheltie...was standing its ground and getting ready to try and "defend" its owner. The girl made the mistake of picking her dog up to try and protect it from the pitbull, who was charging them both at a dead run. The pit looked to be a good 80 lbs or more, almost as big as the girl, whereas the sheltie weighed 15 or 20 at the most.

As I stopped my car and started to get out, the pit went airborne at full speed, lunging at the sheltie in the girls arms. The girl sidestepped and pivoted like a bullfighter, and the pitbull flew right by them and lost its balance when it landed, causing it to roll on the ground. It got up and lunged again, and the girl pivoted again. Fortunately the pit was focused on the sheltie and not the girl, but the girl kept pivoting and spinning to keep her body between the two dogs. She was screaming at the pit and started kicking it.

By this time I was out of my car and running across the street and I had made up my mind that I was going to have to shoot that pitbull. Fortunately, by some miracle its owner was able to yell loud enough that it got the dogs attention and it stopped lunging. I shouted at the girl to hold still, and the pit then lost interest in the sheltie and ran sheepishly back to its owner.

It was a close call. The girl and her dog came really close to getting mauled, the pit came very close to getting shot, and I came very close to having to spend an ugly day down at the police station.

I still love pitbulls, but I also respect their destructive capabilities.

soberups

When other people's pit bulls jump into my pkg car I do not think it is funny.
Been there, been bit.

My experience has been that the dogs who jump in the truck aren't the ones who bite.

They are jumping in the truck because they want to be petted, or given a treat, or taken for a ride.

I have several pit bulls on my route, and they all jump into the truck to greet me when I show up at the stop.

The dogs you have to worry about are the ones who try chewing on the tires, or the ones who just stand there and stare at you with their ears back and no tail wagging.

Ghost in the Darkness

When other people's pit bulls jump into my pkg car I do not think it is funny.
Been there, been bit.

I agree with you, a pitbull you don't know is definitely intimidating... my dog just thinks its time to go and he wants to see if he can go too.
For the most part I find that ankle biters and German Sheppards are the dogs that I need to be the most cautious around.

W

westsideworma

I too have a pitbull (well shes a pit boxer mix but definitely looks pitbull) and she's the toughest wuss you've ever met. She'll bark at people but as they get closer she'll hide behind me and lay down and then come out and wait to be petted haha. She's likes dogs (loves cats go figure) and the UPS man. She follows me around when she's home and when i head to bed she follows me. If I let her stay out she'll be pawing at the door whining to come in the bedroom haha.

I too respect pits, as much as I am comfortable in knowing she is not a fighter as she is well socialized (goes to dog day care 3 days a week and has never ever provoked or lunged at anyone or any dog), it doesn't mean she never will and I act accordingly. I don't let her just go up to other dogs while on walks unless the owner comes up to us. If another dog has a problem with her I cross the street (with her whining loudly as she wants to play with any animal she sees), I don't want to tempt fate.

She also gets up in the driver seat like ghost in the darkness mentioned. She thinks shes the navigator or something I think.

here's some pics of her....the polo was my girlfriend's handywork (you can see the sad expression on the dog's face)....poor dog.

lilypolo.jpglilyhides.jpglilytired.jpglilysick.jpg
lilyhides.jpg
lilypolo.jpg
lilytired.jpg
lilysick.jpg

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I too have a pitbull (well shes a pit boxer mix but definitely looks pitbull) and she's the toughest wuss you've ever met. She'll bark at people but as they get closer she'll hide behind me and lay down and then come out and wait to be petted haha. She's likes dogs (loves cats go figure) and the UPS man. She follows me around when she's home and when i head to bed she follows me. If I let her stay out she'll be pawing at the door whining to come in the bedroom haha.

I too respect pits, as much as I am comfortable in knowing she is not a fighter as she is well socialized (goes to dog day care 3 days a week and has never ever provoked or lunged at anyone or any dog), it doesn't mean she never will and I act accordingly. I don't let her just go up to other dogs while on walks unless the owner comes up to us. If another dog has a problem with her I cross the street (with her whining loudly as she wants to play with any animal she sees), I don't want to tempt fate.

She also gets up in the driver seat like ghost in the darkness mentioned. She thinks shes the navigator or something I think.

here's some pics of her....the polo was my girlfriend's handywork (you can see the sad expression on the dog's face)....poor dog.

View attachment 4078View attachment 4077View attachment 4079View attachment 4080
Nice post westside! Great to see that you think out of the box. That looks like a lovely dog.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The problem with bully dogs, ( a catch phrase for pits, dobys and rots) Is everyone wants to meet them when they appear friendly. My dobys are extremely friendly. And the oldest I can state my life on will never be mean. The youngest is all about playing. So every time someone wants to meet my dog, they have a dog not on leash. So they get together and every time without exaggeration, my dog is wagging, their dog lunges. And attacks my dog. Then I give her the length of leash and she smacks them head over heels. And it is always little ankle biters that think they can attack my 100 pd doby. Or a dog is loose and comes out to the road and attacks her.
I have respect for all dogs, big and small. A pit, a bulldog, can be a lover, but they have what it takes to be a fighter.
I just wish once I could take a walk with my girls, and not be bothered. I have control of my animals, I wish everyone else would too

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
It's natural dog instinct to assert dominance. That's why all dogs should be on leashes when greeting each other. That being said, people that have control over their dogs are great owners. We have a law in Palm Beach county that states if your dog can behave off the leash, then it can run loose on the beach. Some people just coddle their pets and let them be senseless, brute beasts.

moreluck

golden ticket member
My dog is always on a leash outside, except in the fenced-in backyard. She is not predictable about meeting people or other dogs. She was friends with the beagle next door and we dog sat the beagle and they were great buds.

Greeting one day, my dog grabbed a beagle ear and made her squeal. Yet, she'll play with the 90 lb. red dobie and she's only 9 lbs. I never know how she'll behave, so I don't trust her.

She's wonderful with hubby & I, but hates most females. She's just weird and eccentric....fits our household!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My dog is always on a leash outside, except in the fenced-in backyard. She is not predictable about meeting people or other dogs. She was friends with the beagle next door and we dog sat the beagle and they were great buds.

Greeting one day, my dog grabbed a beagle ear and made her squeal. Yet, she'll play with the 90 lb. red dobie and she's only 9 lbs. I never know how she'll behave, so I don't trust her.

She's wonderful with hubby & I, but hates most females. She's just weird and eccentric....fits our household!
I'm not touching this one, but beware, this is definitely (volleyball) spike material.

Hubrat98

The problem with bully dogs, ( a catch phrase for pits, dobys and rots) Is everyone wants to meet them when they appear friendly. My dobys are extremely friendly. And the oldest I can state my life on will never be mean. The youngest is all about playing. So every time someone wants to meet my dog, they have a dog not on leash. So they get together and every time without exaggeration, my dog is wagging, their dog lunges. And attacks my dog. Then I give her the length of leash and she smacks them head over heels. And it is always little ankle biters that think they can attack my 100 pd doby. Or a dog is loose and comes out to the road and attacks her.
I have respect for all dogs, big and small. A pit, a bulldog, can be a lover, but they have what it takes to be a fighter.
I just wish once I could take a walk with my girls, and not be bothered. I have control of my animals, I wish everyone else would too

Not looking to start a fight with a fellow dog lover but "Bully Breeds" are breeds that originated with the Bulldog. Obviously, the English and American Bulldogs are bully breeds but the others are the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the Bull Terrier, APBT (American Pit Bull Terrier), and the American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff). The AmStaff and APBT are American breeds and are essentially the same. The reason for the different names between the two is because back in the early to mid 1900's the American Kennel Club wouldn't accept dogs with "pit" in their name due to the fighting connotation. To get around this problem breeders came up with the name American Staffordshire Terrier and registered APBT's with the AKC. The United Kennel Club was created shortly thereafter solely to register APBT's, forever separating the breeds. Most "pit bulls" in American shelters are called AmStaffs when trying to be placed because the word "pit" can immediately turn an otherwise rational person away from adopting a deserving dog.

BTW. I have a 4 year-old rescued APBT that is 50 pounds of pure muscle and love. Why buy a dog when there are so many out there in need of a good home/owner? As a pit bull owner you have to put the breed in a good light. That means always keeping him leashed in public, never bringing him to a dog park, keeping a close eye on him around children, and being VERY careful around unfamiliar dogs.
100_1234.jpg
100_1345.jpg
100_1254.jpg

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor

what if this happened to a kid next time?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Not looking to start a fight with a fellow dog lover but "Bully Breeds" are breeds that originated with the Bulldog. Obviously, the English and American Bulldogs are bully breeds but the others are the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the Bull Terrier, APBT (American Pit Bull Terrier), and the American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff). The AmStaff and APBT are American breeds and are essentially the same. The reason for the different names between the two is because back in the early to mid 1900's the American Kennel Club wouldn't accept dogs with "pit" in their name due to the fighting connotation. To get around this problem breeders came up with the name American Staffordshire Terrier and registered APBT's with the AKC. The United Kennel Club was created shortly thereafter solely to register APBT's, forever separating the breeds. Most "pit bulls" in American shelters are called AmStaffs when trying to be placed because the word "pit" can immediately turn an otherwise rational person away from adopting a deserving dog.

BTW. I have a 4 year-old rescued APBT that is 50 pounds of pure muscle and love. Why buy a dog when there are so many out there in need of a good home/owner? As a pit bull owner you have to put the breed in a good light. That means always keeping him leashed in public, never bringing him to a dog park, keeping a close eye on him around children, and being VERY careful around unfamiliar dogs.
Because not everyone wants that particular breed that is found at the shelter. I have pure bred Australian Shepherds, that are great with the family. I am also a responsible owner in that if you see my dogs, you'll see me. That being said, those are very nice pictures, Hubrat.:happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Because not everyone wants that particular breed that is found at the shelter. I have pure bred Australian Shepherds, that are great with the family. I am also a responsible owner in that if you see my dogs, you'll see me. That being said, those are very nice pictures, Hubrat.:happy2:

Some of the best dogs that I had as a kid were the Heinz 57 (mutts).